Torquay Utd v Welling Utd 21/10/2023 15:00

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Taelee73 wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 18:20 Uncomfortable first 30 minutes, with Welling playing some nice stuff, but once it was 1-1 there was only one winner.
Plenty more of our passing football and good opportunities but with the wrong choices made, much the same as last two games.
Once we scored however, you could see the confidence return and Welling pretty much fell apart.
Silly red card for their keeper which ensured a chaotic last 10 minites.

No half time demonstration, shock.

Couple of 'Johnson out' chants which died when we equalised. Left the ground after an entertaining afternoon with the feel good factor, to hopefully be continued on Tuesday.
The same people will be singing GJYA at Weston on Tuesday night! I’ve been in the Johnson out camp for some time and beating a poor side doesn’t change that, but I’m glad we’ve got the 3 points of course. One day soon GJ will retire, and I’d much rather that be in the NL than the NLS.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I missed the first fifteen minutes and as my neighbour in the stand said, this was probably and inadvertantly a wise occurence, who would have believed other than that well known sage, happytorq that a 5-1 was on the cards , certainly not me, did the score flatter us, most definetely. I thought we were more concerned with not making mistakes than creating anything especially first half,the team balance was so wrong, you had craske, a right footed right back playing left wingback and he was so far out of his depth that I feared the worst, more so if welling had twigged his discomfort, donnellan not a right back for me, another nervous player, competent going forward but defending enough said. Mcgavin,a supposed midfielder, loved by Johnson, well you cannot say he has a workrate because he doesn't, if he was paid for yardage covered and tackles made he would owe the club every week but as can be seen he has a great shot on him. Yet another week without a forward player on the bench and a spare midfielder that can only manage 20 minutes. If lapslie or jarvis gets injured we are in the poo, bigtime. See you all tuesday night.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Desperately need another striker

Ash was ineffective today, too often wants to complicate matters with a flick, be good to at least have the option to rotate up top
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Now that is the the way to give an honest after match interview .......Johnson take note!

Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

That's a very honest and candid interview, nothing sugar coated or PR garbage, fair play to Danny Bloor.
Brixham63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Brixham63 »

5-1 is good. Against Welling expected given their position and current form. But we look so fragile. If the opposition turn up like Maidstone did we will be found out. It’s a hard watch.
AdrianC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by AdrianC »

Good evening all.

Firstly, I will say I wasn’t at todays game.

A few points:

1) Danny Bloor, very honest interview, well done him, let’s see that here!

2) Brad Ash, over complicating things…. I sincerely hope that’s being worked on in training! I think there is a goal scorer there but full time coaching needs to help him out.

3) McGavin, will never be a workhorse, but neither were Hoddle or Le Tissier. I’m not of course rating him that highly, however, the coaching again needs to make sure that he delivers as much quality as he can with others doing some hard yards around him.

A positive result today, COYY, Ade.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Turned out t be an easy win against a poor Welling team.
A rare day where we had a good ref and we took a good proportion of chances.
The club were obviously very concerned about the half time pitch protest which was obviously never going to happen.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This was my first game since Worthing home, whilst Ill never give up on the club completely, nor stop going to games entirely, I've now decided down to how the club is being run and partly down to GJ's continued employment I will only attend games on an , as and when basis.

I've always tried to be both accurate and honest when sharing my opinions on our teams performance, despite having zero confidence in both the ownership local board and management of the team, this is just me being honest in what I saw.

The first 30 minutes of this game, we saw a TUFC team that looked disinterested, seem to lack energy, urgency and any desire to be first to the ball, chase down lose ball, and fight for every square inch of the pitch, both short and long passing far to often not finding it's intended target, maybe a degree of nervousness whichever way you want to call it, the first 30 minutes from a TUFC point of view was almost unforgivable.

Taking all that into account, the frustration inside me grow, because with all said and done, we could all clearly see from the out set, Welling were extremely vulnerable at the back , in fact defensively Welling were terrible, in the 1 v1 physical battles you could see TUFC were stronger player for player, so I'm standing there asking myself, how ? why? are we losing this game, and to once again such a poxy goal. The feeling between myself and my friends was, TUFC really only needed to find an extra gear to win this match.

And it took a defensive mix up between Welling defender and goalkeeper, who was very poor through out , that lead to the concession of a penalty, from that moment we saw the team find that extra gear, and from that moment it became down to how much quality the team could play with, that would determine the final result.

Any win is to be welcomed, a 5.1 win to be savoured, however in conclusion, I would rate Welling's performance as one of the top 10 worst away performances I've seen in many recent seasons, our team has only scored 1 good goal in this match, the rest were Christmas gifts.

I'm not getting carried away by this very welcome win, there's still a lot of work to do before ay corners are turned, I can only hope the team have took a lot confidence away from this result. With our record v current top seven teams including the FA cup game standing at played 4 lost 4, the WSM and Hampton games are now really key games, with Bath and Yeovil to follow.

As for the half time protest, whoever Luke 'paco' Barton is, he must be feeling quite happy this morning, with the security cordon put in place including the police, coupled with comments on the FB page, not only did his obvious wind up convince the club seems to have sucked a fair percentage of fans as well :whistle:
Formerly known as forevertufc
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Adrian C , that was my point, Mcgavin will never be a workhorse,he is a luxury that league teams may be able to afford because they usually have quality thoughout their teams, but when you only have one working midfielder in lapslie and a bit part player in Hall then you really need to up your game, wingbacks are just that, not midfielders, craske's on the left was only ever there to cover for Moxey's lack of mobility but it turned out moxey covered him, as for bradley ash over complicating things and hoping that these matters would be worked on in training, who is actually going to teach him the finer arts of forward play, a retired cente half in downes or a retired midfielder in johnson.I suppose our goal keeping coach could give him some pointers.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Judging by the comments following our 5-1 victory - ain't no pleasing everyone.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

culmstockgull wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 19:26 who would have believed other than that well known sage, happytorq that a 5-1 was on the cards
To be fair I didn't really believe it either. I'm optimistic most of the time and Ive kept thinking that eventually we'd have a game similar to the 6-1 vs Aldershot last season. (Look how much that helped!)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

MellowYellow wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 13:30 Judging by the comments following our 5-1 victory - ain't no pleasing everyone.
Obviously not Mellow.
I get what fans are saying about the team though.
Both games I have attended were a hard watch......... :-/
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Here's the latest prediction league update… Last game vs Welling 5-1 WIN

Username ----------------- Prediction (point scoring only) ----------------- Overall Points
Gullsandbeyond121 ----------------- 2-1 ----------------- 19
RodneyJacksRightFoot ----------------- 2-0 ----------------- 19
DerekDawkinsJnr ----------------- 2-0 ----------------- 17
portugull ----------------- 2-0 ----------------- 16
Incredigull ----------------- 2-1 ----------------- 15
SuperNickyWroe ----------------- 2-0 ----------------- 13
Chelston TUFC ----------------- 2-1 ----------------- 12
UnitedinDevon ----------------- ----------------- 12
zebgull ----------------- 2-0 ----------------- 11
Eirik ----------------- 3-0 ----------------- 10
North Curry House ----------------- 3-1 ----------------- 10
Cheddargull ----------------- 3-1 ----------------- 9