Torquay United v Maidstone Sat 14 Oct KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

culmstockgull wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 17:44 The squad unbalanced, whatever next.Yes, we need a centre half but only of the experienced variety and another striker but the way the club works the first loan through the door would be another goalkeeper. As for the back positions,Johnson will play anyone out of position to fill a hole working on the basis, I have given you a briefing on your repsonsibilities now go out and do it, but we humble supporters know that rarely works.
We seem to be in general agreement there is no more money, but it would be easy to make savings, we have a goalkeeping coach who knows less on how to be a pro keeper than Halstead and lovett, so get rid, we supposedly have a conditioning coach, why then do most of the squad look out of it two thirds in, several exceptions, lapslie and jarvis, so offer halstead a few bob extra to be goalkeeping coach and same with lapslie or jarvis to be conditioning coach, get rid completely of Pete johnson, that should free up enough to cover the costs of a few loans.
And the stats man and his mate posing around the pitch prior to kick off, before venturing up to the gantry.
Whatever stats are produced are probably a little to complex anyway ! I guess he susses out the part time opposition and offers the feedback.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

What gets me is the watering of the pitch before the game. I get why they do it but it suits
the opposition more than us ! They are the ones who play the slick quick passing on the ground.
We play a mix of ground passing and long ball, the ground passing often resulting in the ball going backwards and ending up with a long ball anyway. Other teams seem to know exactly what they are doing whereas in our passing build up play, there is often that slight hesitation of 'who's in a good position to pass it to. We are ponderous and there doesn't seem to be that understanding that other teams have.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

According to Dave Thomas Dawson is 6 weeks away from playing completely ludicrous as he seems to have been signed on whilst he needed an operation.

Of course Johnson and co want it kept quiet, I mean its a criminal waste of money. Da Silva is rumoured to be wearing a leg brace - so dont expect him to be back anytime soon.

Its all very well saying Collins hasnt hit any heights but why is he playing in central midfield? He looks the one player (as well as Jarvis) who might cause the opposition problems, so why not put him up font in preference to Ash who doesnt really look up to much.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

desperado wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 12:52 What gets me is the watering of the pitch before the game. I get why they do it but it suits
the opposition more than us ! They are the ones who play the slick quick passing on the ground.
We play a mix of ground passing and long ball, the ground passing often resulting in the ball going backwards and ending up with a long ball anyway. Other teams seem to know exactly what they are doing whereas in our passing build up play, there is often that slight hesitation of 'who's in a good position to pass it to. We are ponderous and there doesn't seem to be that understanding that other teams have.
Somebody elsewhere sent a request that it was not watered quite as much on Saturday as the Protesters do not wish to slip over !
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

As for watering the pitch although I did not see much of it saturday the first maidstone match Halstead lost his footing numerous time, in fact on one occasion he threw up both his arms in frustration at the bench. I would not mind if we played fast football as a matter of course but usually that last for five minutes then back to our default hoof ball. As for collins in central midfield, it is another attempt by johnson to find someone out of the squad who can play and shore up the middle, such ,tactical decisions that should have made in pre season but either way collins is not the answer, its debateable if he has the ability but he certainly does not have the engine or drive for such a role,saturday he lost the ball on many occasions and made little or no attempt to recover the situation, that is not the hallmark of a midfielder.
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

desperado wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 12:52 What gets me is the watering of the pitch before the game. I get why they do it but it suits
:goodpost:
That's a very good point, because I bet they don't water the training pitch before a training session.
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Not sure about watering the training ground.
Have a decent bit of rain ..and Seale Hayne is waterlogged !!
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I agree about the pitch watering. I remember a few years ago when we watered so much at half time, the second half was delayed whilst they cleared puddles from the 6 yard box. Anyhow, we should have a pitch to suit our team.

I suppose they play Collins in midfield is for his energy ajd quality, but then we miss him further up the pitch.

Just imagine if we unveiled a few new signings before Saturday. I'm not holding my breath....
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

It's a strange one with Dawson, before he came to us Gloucester City weren't really playing him, was that because he was crocked all the time?, he obviously needed an op, but GJ is extremely tight lipped about anything "getting out" almost bordering paranoia at times....I've been a good few times this season, we do miss Dawson but personally I would of looked elsewhere and let him go, that's not knocking him, just his track record/age suggest he's injury prone otherwise I'm sure a league 2 club would of snapped him up.....I do actually feel sorry for GJ he knows the squad hasn't delivered like he thought it was going to, he can't dig them out and slaughter them, these players owe him, he's probably been over loyal, and stuck by them, but what he can't do is hang them out to dry-this is our squad ladies and gents and we have to deal with it, that means working on the training ground, application, professionalism and turning up up and having a go.. I was genuinely impressed on Saturday 1st half, we didn't deserve to be behind, but 2nd half we didn't show up at all, very disjointed and just disappointed with how we performed, I'm not a fan of GJ, but I actually believe he needs up till Christmas and let's see whereabouts we are then.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

brucie wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 13:21 According to Dave Thomas Dawson is 6 weeks away from playing completely ludicrous as he seems to have been signed on whilst he needed an operation.

Of course Johnson and co want it kept quiet, I mean its a criminal waste of money. Da Silva is rumoured to be wearing a leg brace - so dont expect him to be back anytime soon.

Its all very well saying Collins hasnt hit any heights but why is he playing in central midfield? He looks the one player (as well as Jarvis) who might cause the opposition problems, so why not put him up font in preference to Ash who doesnt really look up to much.
I agree that Ash does not really look up to much, I thought he was going to rip this League apart. Seems rock bottom on confidence and not convinced he can partner Jarvis, maybe the next 3 games will prove different. If there are no incoming loans which looks likely maybe bench Ash and play Collins up top. With the lack of goals of late anything is worth a try.
Donnellan to midfield and Hanson Right back..what could possibly go wrong ? :-/
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

Problem is all the players have something to give but they’re not the full package. Asa used to be, Mox used to be but the rest are playing here for a reason. Mc gavin is Jan Molby 25% of time. Jarvis is Giroud 25% of the time. As has been said a few 50% loans are needed fast.
Currently at England v Italy. Ain’t much better. If I bump in to Watkins I’ll see if he’s up for a loan move
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 19:53 I was genuinely impressed on Saturday 1st half, we didn't deserve to be behind, but 2nd half we didn't show up at all, very disjointed and just disappointed with how we performed
We've yet to put in a 90 minute performance. The good half is actually an improvement on earlier in the season, when we were having spells of dominance lasting a whole ten minutes. Wouldn't be so bad if we were scoring when on top, but we haven't been.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Wolborough wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 17:30 We need a decent right back, left back and centre half. We need a pacey strong midfield player, we need a powerful centre forward. By not filling the glaring gaps was will continue to perform poorly, we will struggle to keep towards to top of the table.
Yeovil Town sign Exeter City forward Sonny Cox on loan.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Cheddargull wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 22:44 Yeovil Town sign Exeter City forward Sonny Cox on loan.
Sadly sums up where we are.
Doubt brother Johnson has even heard of him .
I am dreading Yeovil at home and have been since
Nouble joined them. :red:
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I was in Bristol on Monday and reading some on line comments from Bristol city, they seem to have as many proper right backs as we do midfielders, so much so they are loaning them out, one particular 20 year old already included in the the first team squad has been loaned to gloucester and another seems to be on the way to Bath or Yeovil. Is Bristol a step too far from the torquay dugout for pete Johnson to go have a look at their under 21's.