Torquay United v Maidstone Sat 14 Oct KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Utter bull. We NEED a new manager.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Skillsy wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 03:00 Not great today, but on another day we would have won. Granted, it's all about results so on that basis it's a poor result.

But......

So easy to jump on the bandwagon, but come the end of the season we will be in the playoffs at the very least.

Frankly, it's pathetic that so many want Johnson out after a poor result. After 86 minutes at Hemel we were singing 'we are top of the league'. That is one League game, and four minutes ago.

None of us know what is going on behind the scenes, but the main reason for the lack of loans may well be a lack of money. We don't know, and I fully agree there should be much more transparency. I do think it's odd that everything is such a secret....Dawson, Hall, Da Silva etc.

In my opinion........we need a commanding centre half, a genuine right back and a creative midfielder.

And also, get behind the lads every time. We all want the same thing........playing with fear will only make things worse.
I have the upmost respect for all opinions, and your post is well written and has balance, but I most take issue with your post in general.

For a start your almost certainly going to be correct to suggest we'll finish in the play-offs, however this will be largely down to the number of part time teams in this division who don't have a third of our recourses, and simply will not have the quality in their squads to match us over 90 minutes.

Whilst we'll finish in the play-offs, so will Maidstone, you tell us on another day we would have won, well I'd like to point out we played Maidstone in the league and lost 0.1, seven days later we played Maidstone in the cup and lost 0.2 so we did play them on another day and got the same result, so it's quite likely to win the play-offs we will have to beat Maidstone who've already beaten us twice on our own patch, should they finish above us, we'd have to beat them on their pitch.

If this isn't setting off red flags in the minds of every single TUFC fan, then there are no more words I can write on this subject.

Your probably quite correct to suggest there's no more money in the pot, but there's no more money in the pot for 'all' the wrong reasons, and it's 100% down to Gary Johnson, he's taken probably the second biggest budget in the NLS and driven it straight of the edge of a cliff.

For a start how much is Pete Johnson getting paid? for what value, who's he recruited in 5 years ? all our best players during the Johnson reign have come from Lee Johnson not Pete Johnson.

You tell there's no more money for loans, but we have 9 midfielders on the books.

You tell us pathetic to want GJ out in one sentence, then tell us another sentence we need a creative midfielder, we already have 9 midfielders on the books, how many more should we need if the manager had got his recruitment correct in the first place.

You correctly point out we do not have a single right back in the squad, yet we have 9 midfielders in the squad, who's fault is that ?

We only have 2 strikers currently being run into the ground, yet we have 9 midfielders, I'm labouring the point aren't I.

If any TUFC fan genuinely can't see we're need of a fresh pair of eye's, then, again I'll say there are no more words I can write.
Last edited by Dave on 15 Oct 2023, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Skillsy wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 03:00 Not great today, but on another day we would have won. Granted, it's all about results so on that basis it's a poor result.

But......

So easy to jump on the bandwagon, but come the end of the season we will be in the playoffs at the very least.

Frankly, it's pathetic that so many want Johnson out after a poor result. After 86 minutes at Hemel we were singing 'we are top of the league'. That is one League game, and four minutes ago.

None of us know what is going on behind the scenes, but the main reason for the lack of loans may well be a lack of money. We don't know, and I fully agree there should be much more transparency. I do think it's odd that everything is such a secret....Dawson, Hall, Da Silva etc.

In my opinion........we need a commanding centre half, a genuine right back and a creative midfielder.

And also, get behind the lads every time. We all want the same thing........playing with fear will only make things worse.
Even if we had been top after Hemel (which we weren’t, because we bottled it and the game management was appalling) it wouldn’t have changed the fact that this is a poor team in a poor league.

Fans are allowed to chant when things are momentarily looking up (particularly in response to 150 gobby Hemel kids giving it large for an hour) whilst still believing that the manager is not good enough to get us out of this league this season, the two things are not contradictory.

I am all for supporting the lads on the pitch for 90 minutes and there is no room for abuse. However it is very hard to stomach the crap served up and Johnson’s apparent lack of awareness that this is not good enough and primarily his fault.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Dave wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 08:24 I have the upmost respect for all opinions, and your post is well written and has balance, but I most take issue with your post in general.

For a start your almost certainly going to be correct to suggest we'll finish in the play-offs, however this will be largely down to the number of part time teams in this division who don't have a third of our recourses, and simply will not have the quality in their squads to match us over 90 minutes.

Whilst we'll finish in the play-offs, so will Maidstone, you tell us on another day we would have won, well I'd like to point out we played Maidstone in the league and lost 0.1, seven days later we played Maidstone in the cup and lost 0.2 so we did play them on another day and got the same result, so it's quite likely to win the play-offs we will have to beat Maidstone who've already beaten us twice on our own patch, should they finish above us, we'd have to beat them on their pitch.

If this isn't setting off red flags in the minds of every single TUFC fan, then there are no more words I can write on this subject.

Your probably quite correct to suggest there's no more money in the pot, but there's no more money in the pot for 'all' the wrong reasons, and it's 100% down to Gary Johnson, he's taken probably the second biggest budget in the NLS and driven it straight of the edge of a cliff.

For a start how much is Pete Johnson getting paid? for what value, who's he recruited in 5 years ? all our best players during the Johnson reign have come from Lee Johnson not Pete Johnson.

You tell there's no more money for loans, but we have 9 midfielders on the books.

You tell us pathetic to want GJ out in one sentence, then tell us another sentence we need a creative midfielder, we already have 9 midfielders on the books, how many more should we need if the manager had got his recruitment correct in the first place.

You correctly point out we do not have a single right back in the squad, yet we have 9 midfielders in the squad, who's fault is that ?

We only have 2 strikers currently being run into the ground, yet we have 9 midfielders, I'm labouring the point aren't I.

If any TUFC fan genuinely can't see we're need of a fresh pair of eye's, then, again I'll say there are no more words I can write.
Great post- spot on Dave.
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

I’ve said it before the squad is paper thin with a glaring issue of being unbalanced. No replacement CB so Moxey has to play there, no additional Striker at all so our two guys have to play every game.

I do wonder what Pete Johnson brings to the club maybe his expenses invoice ???

Yet again we hear from GJ that some players aren’t up to performing for the full 90, this has been stated before so why are they still featuring !

As I left I uttered the word “Shambles” to the dugout and the only reaction was from Downes who glared at me !

The club is a rudderless ship, with no sense of its current plight and potential demise. I read about this George Edwards geezer being CEO, I won’t know him if he sat in my seat in Bristows. You don’t run a business by adopting the mushroom method of management.

Frustration is an understatement but win the next three games and all will be rosey …… hmmmm dream on
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

The utterly inept Pete Johnson couldn't recruit a Catholic as Pope let alone a half decent footballer.

I read Gary Johnson's pre-match comments in the Western Morning News and most of what he said was, quite frankly, incomprehensible.

People on this site have asked who could replace him and do better. I would contend that there can't be many that, at this stage, could be a lot worse.

However, fans know that he wont be replaced as the board and management are a cosy cartel looking after each other while the club sinks into oblivion.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We wernt top of the league when we were winning at Hemel as the game wasnt finished. Unfortunately the result doesnt stand until the final whistle goes.

Three defeats on the trot. Counting the Maidstone cup ties thats 5 defeats in 12 matches agains teams in our league. A loss rate of 41.66%.

That is going to get us nowhere near the play offs and if we do scrape in the way the play offs are structured we would have no chance anyway - just more games oin dodgy pitches - there is no neutral ground play off in NLS.

We are nowhere near good enough - and the last 3 matches have proved that.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

“On another day we might have won”

With respect, that Maidstone ream had four or five players out, so on another day with a full strength Maidstone squad we might have got hammered.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

But......

:rofl: :rofl:

This sort of post has to be a joke now

Keep backing and rewarding failure
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 12:01 :rofl: :rofl:

This sort of post has to be a joke now

Keep backing and rewarding failure
Sure most have viewed but on Torquay Talk

427 votes in total

Gary IN 13.8 %
Gary OUT 86.2%

Votes calculated last night for anybody that is interested :scarf:
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Well the highlights again show that we created so many chances but ended up just like last week with no goals to show for our effort.

In Golf it is called "the rub of the green" in Football it depends on so many things that just happen and cannot be legislated for.

Shaun Donnellan does get in the way of Mark Hallstead and the ref was 4 yards away so he had a good view. Just very very unlucky hard in many ways to blame either player but it turned the match.

GJ said and its true that between them the players created 8 good chances but failed to capitalise on any of them.

All we can do is move on and try to win the next 3 games Welling at Home, WSM away, and then Yeovil at home under the lights on November 7th. Big game that one!! COYY.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

portugull wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 15:57 Well the highlights again show that we created so many chances but ended up just like last week with no goals to show for our effort.

In Golf it is called "the rub of the green" in Football it depends on so many things that just happen and cannot be legislated for.

Shaun Donnellan does get in the way of Mark Hallstead and the ref was 4 yards away so he had a good view. Just very very unlucky hard in many ways to blame either player but it turned the match.

GJ said and its true that between them the players created 8 good chances but failed to capitalise on any of them.

All we can do is move on and try to win the next 3 games Welling at Home, WSM away, and then Yeovil at home under the lights on November 7th. Big game that one!! COYY.
Hampton away and Bath at home before Yeovil i believe Portugull
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

15 possible points up to the end of the Yeovil game. We will be lucky to get 6 points from these 5 games the way we are performing!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Thanks Gullsandbeyond121 another Senior Moment for me! Apologies.