Torquay United v Maidstone United, Saturday 7th October, 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

We lost 0-1 against a team near us in the league - playing 60 mins one man down. Cold facts don’t seem too bad. But it makes the weekend miserable and the first half performance didn’t give much hope.
Unless your club is going to throw large sums of money at it, I think the reality of NL/NLS is that the quality of your team is largely down to the quality of your loanees. Many of our current squad would look quite good in a team with Nico Lawrence and Sinclair Armstrong. Not as simple as it sounds, loanees are probably a bit hit or miss, NLS is less attractive than NL, but I think it’s where we need to concentrate. I expect our management are working hard at this - no-one wants a repeat of yesterday.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I thnk the issues in the pop side and the abuse from bristows are clear signs of deep frustrations from the faithfull. We will lose matches but when effort and endeavour and creativity are shown I think in hindsight most will accept the odd hiccup. Gull in black, you have more faith than most that "johnson is working on it because no one wants a repeat of yesterday", well yesterday was a repeat,another groundhog day, how often can Johnson come out post match and say we only played for 45 minutes, we didnt turn up, several players need to look at themselves, we were poor, and then in the same breath say the squad is good enough. before the match I watched several previous highlights of maidstone, yes, they are big and physical so it should have been no shock to johnson or the team, but it totally was, they were bullied. No matter what viewpoint you take the only thing that doesnt lie is the stats, last five league matches, two wins, three losses, only two teams in the league hold worse stats and one of them is rock bottom.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Agree with what has been said - however, GJ doesnt take the crap throw in, actually get in the right position of goal-side and then give a penalty away.
if players dont get that - then they shouldn't be playing. It is - and no offence to them - schoolboy defending.
Was it a clear goalscoring opportunity? If it wasn't then he shouldn't have been sent off.
Really disappointed but not surprised.
Really need to get some decent loans in - Mox, Laps and Jarv cant do it all themselves....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

From where I was sitting Block F, Marshall was the only player to available to accept the throw. I was a shit backpass, really shit, with not enough weight behind it. I thought that Halsted may have possibly got their first, but Marshall gave the ref no option.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

Just watched the lowlights back, while donellans throw to marshall was questionable he was under no pressure when he received it, Marshall had swtiched off, not aware that a maidstone player was coming up fast, totally panicked and grabbed the arm of the forward . Not to worry Johnson thinks Marshall is good enough, who are we to question that decision.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

GJ on £3000 a week, evidence please.

Their manager was angry as he though one or two supporters had made monkey gestures toward him. I think they were more likely just mocking his gym physique. The lack of action by police/statement today hopefully validates this.

Not sure why GJ stayed on at the end, he normally walks straight off.

Fantastic crowd of 2500, deserved better.

Poor poor decision for the red card, most of our throw ins are 50/50s, just launch it upfield.

Jarvis/Lapslie making huge efforts to chase and win back possession to then see the next Torquay player cheaply give the ball away must be soul destroying.

3 second half chances, 2 fall to strikers, the Ash one has to be buried. To not even hit the target.

In a strange way I'm looking forward to the FA cup game, should have an added layer to it now. Can't lose it.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Here's the latest prediction league update… Last game vs Maidstone 0-1 LOSS

Username ----------------- Prediction ----------------- Overall Points
Gullsandbeyond121 ----------------- ----------------- 18
RodneyJacksRightFoot ----------------- ----------------- 18
DerekDawkinsJnr ----------------- ----------------- 16
portugull ----------------- ----------------- 15
Incredigull ----------------- ----------------- 14
SuperNickyWroe ----------------- ----------------- 12
UnitedinDevon ----------------- ----------------- 12
Chelston TUFC ----------------- ----------------- 11
zebgull ----------------- ----------------- 10
Eirik ----------------- ----------------- 9
North Curry House ----------------- ----------------- 9
Cheddargull ----------------- ----------------- 8
Mr Tea808 ----------------- ----------------- 8
notnow ----------------- ----------------- 8
Swindon gull ----------------- 1-2 ----------------- 8
Brewers boy ----------------- ----------------- 7
Dgulls ----------------- ----------------- 7
Midlandgull ----------------- ----------------- 7
Minneapolisgull ----------------- ----------------- 7
budegull1954 ----------------- ----------------- 6
Dave_Pougher ----------------- ----------------- 6
gullsgullsgulls ----------------- ----------------- 6
Hornblower ----------------- ----------------- 6
Hot Rod ----------------- ----------------- 6
leetufc ----------------- ----------------- 6
MellowYellow ----------------- ----------------- 6
tufcyellowarmy ----------------- ----------------- 6
Dave ----------------- 1-2 ----------------- 5
Southampton Gull ----------------- ----------------- 5
Taelee73 ----------------- ----------------- 5
United62 ----------------- ----------------- 5
Cruisinho ----------------- ----------------- 4
happytorq ----------------- ----------------- 4
Hereford Gull66 ----------------- ----------------- 4
Louis ----------------- ----------------- 4
Oil Beef Hooked ----------------- ----------------- 4
Sesimbra ----------------- ----------------- 4
ShropGull ----------------- ----------------- 4
Brucie ----------------- ----------------- 3
teddiebear ----------------- ----------------- 3
Admiral ----------------- ----------------- 2
culmstockgull ----------------- ----------------- 2
Nick Potkins ----------------- 1-2 ----------------- 2
Rio Doherty ----------------- ----------------- 2
Skillsy ----------------- ----------------- 2
The deluder ----------------- ----------------- 2
torregull ----------------- ----------------- 2
Willhtq ----------------- ----------------- 2
AdrianC ----------------- ----------------- 1
Brixham63 ----------------- ----------------- 1
dawlishmatt ----------------- ----------------- 1
Kingsgull83 ----------------- ----------------- 1
SDYellow ----------------- ----------------- 1
Stickingitin ----------------- 1-3 ----------------- 1
Wolborough ----------------- ----------------- 1
DevonBee ----------------- ----------------- 0
Forest gull ----------------- ----------------- 0
Knightmaregull ----------------- ----------------- 0
markypoos77 ----------------- ----------------- 0
numpte ----------------- ----------------- 0
Paignton Gull ----------------- ----------------- 0
Saints1908 ----------------- ----------------- 0
SWgull ----------------- ----------------- 0
Wubble U ----------------- ----------------- 0
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Not sure why Donnelan is getting blame.
Watch it - entirely Marshalls fault
Saturday week needs to see a convincing performance and win v Welling at Plainmoor but 5 of our 6 visiting teams have scored and we just look so open that I am not optimistic.
Maidstone are a better team than us so expect they will win again next Saturday.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

Taelee73 wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 17:56 GJ on £3000 a week, evidence please.

Their manager was angry as he though one or two supporters had made monkey gestures toward him. I think they were more likely just mocking his gym physique. The lack of action by police/statement today hopefully validates this.

Not sure why GJ stayed on at the end, he normally walks straight off.

Fantastic crowd of 2500, deserved better.

Poor poor decision for the red card, most of our throw ins are 50/50s, just launch it upfield.

Jarvis/Lapslie making huge efforts to chase and win back possession to then see the next Torquay player cheaply give the ball away must be soul destroying.

3 second half chances, 2 fall to strikers, the Ash one has to be buried. To not even hit the target.

In a strange way I'm looking forward to the FA cup game, should have an added layer to it now. Can't lose it.
3k a week I am not so sure about that, but I have no doubt he will be the highest paid in this league, and to be served up this shite is all of his own making. It is his team, his recruiting and it is his Hoofball that we have witnessed last season and this. Why oh why with Crowe, Jenkins and Pearce leaving the building why have we not got some Loans in to replace them ? Our bench is a total embarrasment, apart from Hall nobody is going to potentially change a game from yesterdays bench warmers.
We are going nowhere with this bunch of losers, they are simply not up for the fight even at this level. Outfought, outmuscled and again yesterday we start slow.
I can only assume the budget is spent on the Old favourites otherwise why else would we not have strengthened with Loans.

As for Maidstone they were missing 3 key players yesterday according to their Manager, a club that were below us last season and have rebuilt over the summer they looked fitter, faster, and stronger than us sadly.
It has been blatantly obvious where we need to strengthen and it has been listed by many on here.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Gullsandbeyond121 wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 20:43 I can only assume the budget is spent on the Old favourites otherwise why else would we not have strengthened with Loans.
If we have indeed already spent the budget why on earth are we paying for a 'head of recruitment '?
Even if GJ isn't on £3k a week you can bet he and his brother are getting close to that together.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

can we all just face it we are not good enough even in this league, we are not going up.

bench agreed is awful, no forwards, no wingers how do you intend to change a game, GJ would have known about the loans leaving so why on earth has there been no recruitment.

we have no hope
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but certain statements could potentially cause problems for the site owner. In light of this I will immediately delete any reference to people stealing a living or similar disparaging comments. Please refrain from this type of posting or other action will follow.

Many thanks.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Cheddargull wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 02:15 If we have indeed already spent the budget why on earth are we paying for a 'head of recruitment '?
Even if GJ isn't on £3k a week you can bet he and his brother are getting close to that together.
GJ was happy to admit in the summer he'd blown the budget on the same players that got us relegated

His decision and gamble has clearly not worked, it's time for him to go and lets get some fresh ideas
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

As a result of marshall's red , and a subsquent three game ban what happens next week.will it be back to the failed concept of a back three, who then covers at centre half, donnellan maybe, we seem to play him anywhere and everywhere other than his preferred position and then hanson to rightback/wingback. If hall starts that leaves Mcgavin surplus to requirements but judgging by his lack of interest in tacking anyone from his midfield position I would want him no where near our box defending.If martin was fit I would suggest moving Moxey to centre back with his experience of reading the game and it would save on his legs as judging by the games since his latest injury he no longer has a sprint in him .That would leave a first year pro who has the height and build of a winger as our only so called recognised defender.
Alternatively and from the playbook of Johnsons radical thinking Jarvis would become centre half, he seems to spend as much time defending our box at set pieces than he does up front.