Torquay v Hungerford. FQ Cup 3rd QR

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

The subs are made on the basis of who Johnson has to keep happy. Pearce hasn’t really cut it and I,m not sure will be at Plainmoor next week and Hanson will still be with us.At 5-0 there was certainly no tactical thinking involved!
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

North Curry House wrote: 29 Sep 2023, 11:21 Can not see many attending this uninspiring Cup Tie....possibly under 1000 with 21 visiting fans.
Only Bristows Bench and pop side open, which puts me off for starters.....but no one at the Club gives a sh**. They are not bothered about the sponsors, fans and supporters. No effort is made to encourage people to attend.

Added to which we will no doubt play "fringe" players ie those that are not up to NLS level. We should win but our mentality is not good, give me a 1-0 win.

£5625 for winning with £1875 going to the losers. Another £9375 (3125) available in the next round before the real cash is on offer in the first round...£41000 !!
I was pleasantly surprised with our starting XI and we had the tie won by halftime. We played our best available side. The down side was that our bench is so weak, when Moxey, Jarvis went off we looked vunerable. Hanson had chances to shoot, when in space but opted to pass, obviously lacking confidence in his own ability....but overall I was pleased I was persuaded to attend, I remember the last time, Hungerford came to TQ1 in April 2019 and was dreading the same scoreline.
My MoM was Jack Stobbs.

Well done today against a poor lower league side. We will have to raise our game in the coming weeks with Maidstone in seven days, followed by the next round of the FA Cup. The draw is on Monday. What is the betting on a National League side away...Eastleigh, Solihull or Woking! Looking forward to Exeter at home in the First round proper.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 17:20 No moans?
Something about the true test being the next match / 5 games / judge him after 20 games (LOL), we haven't played anyone good yet / even if we're in the Premier league in 10 seasons its despite GJ not cos of him..........did I hit all of the themes yet?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Well Pearce is obviously on his bike. Loan up after today and couldnt get on when the team were 5-0 up.

Lets hope that we can get someone in who is better than him - shouldnt be too difficult surely.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

I think he may have brought Hanson on in hope of Hungerford taking him on loan 😬
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Although I was present at the game on saturday, a very temporary resident of Bristows while looking longingly across to my unloved and vacant seat in the family stand.The logic of closing the family stand is lost on me, It has been open when the crowds have only been eleven hundred or so.We never have any trouble, do not require any stewards, our usual one is asleep by the time the game starts. I must say as a matter of urgency the club should invest in defibrillators for each aisle in Bristows judging by the amount of old codgers, myself included who nearly came to harm just getting to our seats, It must be easier and a darn sight safer climbing the north face of the Matterhorn. forget going for a half time bovril and pasty, no one wanted to go through that exertion twice. Now I understand whie they all bought flasks and sarnies. I swear the old fellow next to me, another family stand exile had a pulse rate for the first 30 minutes that would got him instant admission to a trauma unit.
Anyway, the reason for posting, whether it was the lack of oxygen that high up or we had low cloud cover in block D but I did not realise until watching the highlights the amount of work lapslie put in to score his goal, he ran from his own box to support his front men never expecting to score, just pure effort.
That goal and its build up should be on loop in the changing room for our young and so called marque players to actually see the effort required to be a pro footballer, Oh that we had ten of lapslie in the squad.
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

Tasty home draw against Maidstone in the next round then!

That'll be same tie 2 weeks running
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Draw for the 4th QR sees us at home again.

Torquay v Maidstone
WSM v Maidenhead
Yeovil v Southend

So we play home to the Stones two weeks running.

Would rather win the league match.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Wubble U wrote: 02 Oct 2023, 15:33 Tasty home draw against Maidstone in the next round then!
What an uninspiring fixture. No need to open up the Babbacombe End as they'll only bring one man and his dog...I feel sorry for the dog.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I think we should be winning both, glad its at home, on grass and not against some lower league team whose only tactic is to kick us off the park. Lets hope the powers that be do not get greedy on prices.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

culmstockgull wrote: 02 Oct 2023, 12:38
Anyway, the reason for posting, whether it was the lack of oxygen that high up or we had low cloud cover in block D but I did not realise until watching the highlights the amount of work lapslie put in to score his goal, he ran from his own box to support his front men never expecting to score, just pure effort.
That goal and its build up should be on loop in the changing room for our young and so called marque players to actually see the effort required to be a pro footballer, Oh that we had ten of lapslie in the squad.
It's also a good object lesson for players like Collins - don't mess about trying to dink a finish over the goalkeeper.

(I do love how Lapslie managed to get the rare but awesome double nutmeg for his goal, though)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

United62 wrote: 02 Oct 2023, 15:37 What an uninspiring fixture. No need to open up the Babbacombe End as they'll only bring one man and his dog...I feel sorry for the dog.
At last season's league fixture they brought 165 down with them.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Wubble U wrote: 02 Oct 2023, 15:33 Tasty home draw against Maidstone in the next round then!

That'll be same tie 2 weeks running
We play at Eastbourne in between the two fixtures.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

culmstockgull wrote: 02 Oct 2023, 15:40 I think we should be winning both, glad its at home, on grass and not against some lower league team whose only tactic is to kick us off the park. Lets hope the powers that be do not get greedy on prices.
Definitely need to win both. They're breathing down our necks in the league and the prize money starts to get tasty in the FA Cup proper.