Hemel Hempstead Town v Torquay United, 23rd September 2023

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Hungerford will be a tough game. If they hold us to a draw we would most likely get beaten away. Just hope we win on Saturday but not convinced our current performances give rise to optimism!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Gullsandbeyond121 wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 07:06 Shameful result.
Down the road Exeter beat Luton for further monies,.............

When they played a meaningless cup game,,,,,,

Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 12:10 When they played a meaningless cup game,,,,,,

What, exactly, is meaningless about it?
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

Although the League Cup - I'll keep calling it that - is much devalued these days I wouldn't call it meaningless for lower division clubs.

No doubt Exeter made money from this week's tie and will generate more income from the game against Middlesbrough. There's even a chance they could progress to the next round and draw a Premier League side.

I'm sure Exeter's set up isn't perfect, but I expect that their cup income will be invested wisely. In addition, at least they have owners with an interest in and knowledge of football unlike Mr Osborne.

It might be sacrilegious to say so, but Torquay could do worse that follow Exeter's example.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

DB57 wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 17:08 What, exactly, is meaningless about it?
Look at the terraces, looks pretty meaningless to me. Exeter supporting friends of mine call it meaningless due to the involvement of U21 teams. Our involvement in the Devon Bowl is meaningless because our only goal this season is promotion, that is unless you're still crying over our Manager keeping his job.............
Dave

Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 17:48 Although the League Cup - I'll keep calling it that - is much devalued these days I wouldn't call it meaningless for lower division clubs.

No doubt Exeter made money from this week's tie and will generate more income from the game against Middlesbrough. There's even a chance they could progress to the next round and draw a Premier League side.

I'm sure Exeter's set up isn't perfect, but I expect that their cup income will be invested wisely. In addition, at least they have owners with an interest in and knowledge of football unlike Mr Osborne.

It might be sacrilegious to say so, but Torquay could do worse that follow Exeter's example.
Good point, far too many here just seem to accept
that our slide to this level is ok.
That is a major problem never mind a victory in the cup over the Mighty Hungerford and some here will thinking all is wonderful in the world.
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 12:10 When they played a meaningless cup game,,,,,,

II'd swap position with Exeter everyday of the week. A club on the up with an excellent youth system playing games in the League Cup and EFL Trophy whilst we languish in the NLS playing in the F A Cup Qualifying rounds and the F A Trophy managed by someone who is well past his best.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Gullsandbeyond121 wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 19:18 Good point, far too many here just seem to accept
that our slide to this level is ok.
That is a major problem never mind a victory in the cup over the Mighty Hungerford and some here will thinking all is wonderful in the world.
I don't know of anyone here who thinks us being in the NLS is 'ok'. The fact is, which many don't accept, we're here and the ONLY thing that matters this season is we get promoted. I couldn't give a toss about the Devon Bowl or any other cup competition. Does anyone seriously believe a good run in the FA Cup would lead to investment in the team? The major problem at the club is the toxicity aimed at the Manager that you and those like you keep espousing. The time to assess the Managers position came and was dealt with by those responsible at the end of last season. Those that pay his wages decided to give him the chance to take us back up. Accept that fact.
Dave

DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by DB57 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 18:31 Look at the terraces, looks pretty meaningless to me. Exeter supporting friends of mine call it meaningless due to the involvement of U21 teams. Our involvement in the Devon Bowl is meaningless because our only goal this season is promotion, that is unless you're still crying over our Manager keeping his job.............
7,300+ pretty meaningless? What world do you and your 'Exeter supporting friends ' live in ?
My Exeter supporting friends are thrilled with their progress in the EFL Cup and their position in League 1, and quite rightly so. TUFC meanwhile under Johnson's stewardship languish a million miles away in the NLS. Which would you rather have?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

The real one. You obviously didn't look at the video and are now quoting the figures from an entirely different game. Attention span of a gnat, that's your problem.....
Dave

DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by DB57 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 21:57 The real one. You obviously didn't look at the video and are now quoting the figures from an entirely different game. Attention span of a gnat, that's your problem.....
Talking of gnats.....the discussion was around the EFL cup and City v Luton not their game last week against Reading.
Do keep up......
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Of course promotion is the most important thing this season, however the FA cup brings a different atmosphere/feeling to games and it does bring interest if we can keep progressing further. Yep it's a preliminary round, but it's still the FA cup and the hope of eventually drawing a big team is there if we can keep winning.

Plus it's an added income stream thats likely not factored into the seasons expected income. The further we get, the more impressive the winnings, I don't care if the money is used to strengthen the team, pay off a small part of our debt or is just used in the day to day running of the club, it's all money coming in that we won't have if we lose tomorrow.

Let's face it, we'll not be making money selling any players this year and we'll only get decent crowds 2 or 3 games from the end of the season, and that's only if we're close to promotion

Hopefully we'll go as far as possible.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

Make money from selling players Taelee is a dream.
Maybe McGavin will become a worldbeater or has he peaked in his 2 games this season ?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

DB57 wrote: 29 Sep 2023, 03:26 Talking of gnats.....the discussion was around the EFL cup and City v Luton not their game last week against Reading.
Do keep up......
No, you obviously missed the change in discussion to meaningless games and that the the video link I posted was of their demolition at the hands of Reading. You also must have missed the big hint above. Duh, gnats!!
Dave

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Taelee73 wrote: 29 Sep 2023, 07:55

Plus it's an added income stream thats likely not factored into the seasons expected income. The further we get, the more impressive the winnings, I don't care if the money is used to strengthen the team, pay off a small part of our debt or is just used in the day to day running of the club, it's all money coming in that we won't have if we lose tomorrow.
Oh for the days when that was the case at our club.
Dave