Hemel Hempstead Town v Torquay United, 23rd September 2023

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Need a couple of full backs in

We haven't had an actual RB for too long and i'd rather Moxey wasnt used as a LB, he'd be btter as a CB

Martin came on and was all over the place and has been most of the season

Get a proper RB & LB in to shore up this nonsense defence
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

I think we’ll finish in the playoffs, but this team/management simply aren’t good enough to win the league. 2/3 quality loans required.
Gull1996
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Gull1996 »

Martin did get an assist though so could be worse
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

The litmus test will surely be against Maidstone United being full time professionals, and further into the future others of which I do not care to know. But I can feel Frank Nouble being a thorn in someone's arse.
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

Heck the way our defense is it wouldn't surprise me if Lucas Covolan scores a Gary time goal!
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Can't see Desilva going anywhere soon, we obviously gave him a contract at least till the end of the season. Knowing us, we probably gave him 2 years.

Shame as there is a decent player in there, obviously not consistent, unwilling to listern/learn, poor work rate and it seems a poor attitude.

Desperately need an experienced defender and another creative midfielder if Desilva isn't up to it.

Unfortunately I'll still be there next Saturday, it's the cup after all!!
dagglebert
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by dagglebert »

Just back from the game. How did we lose when we were 2-1 up with 10 mins to play ? Simple; bad defending. Good teams start with a good defence; ours is very weak. All 3 of Hemel's goals should have been cut out. Our attack was also fairly toothless today, with both Jarvis and Ash well marked and repeatedly muscled off the ball by a team that were energetic and never gave up. Stobbs badly missed; Lapslie too far forward; McGavin too slow; Halstead not his usual dominant self; subs had zero positive impact ; whole team, apart from Moxey, gave the ball away continuosly. (Note their goals 2 and 3 scored after Moxey went off.) We may not even make the play offs unless we sign at least 1 good CB and a rt back. Finally "De Silva has an attitude problem" - why sign him then, given that he was here for a lengthy spell last year so this should have been clear. The money should have gone on the defence ! The problems are so obvious and so long standing It makes it criminal they haven't been addressed.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Taelee , De silva is not and never has been a midfielder or a wing back, he is an out and out winger, we knew that full well when we signed him he has issues mainly about his work rate but I think he can be turned round ,why or why does johnson think I know I will play him as a wingback and ignore ten years of his teaching as a footballer under far better coaches. I agree it would not surprise me if went on loan to a london club.
As for todays drivel I sacked our in house commentary after a minute because it was so poor but matched our performace admirably and went to bbc radio devon, now for a home county commentary they tried to be positive about us but failed as we were so dismal, you could tell he knew the names of the hemel players off by heart within the first 20 minutes as they were dominant. ours got mentioned rarely.
What gets me is not losing to better teams, that happens, but a part time outfit, come on explain that.
Those that are regular torquay supporters have known since the start that our centre backs struggle even for this league, the commentator today said their defending was embarassing, so tell me Mr Johnson why can you not see what we do and get some half blind donkey in who could not do any worse.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

10 games in 2 points off the top in this Mickey Mouse league. Taunton above us btw, who would have thought it ?
Clear as day this defence simply ain't good or strong enough, an embarrassment we cannot hold a lead against another team consisting of the Burcher the Baker and the Candlestickmaker.
Centre back maybe 2 needed surely Johnson realises this, we have been papering over the cracks and have not played well all season.
Wake up and smell the coffee is my message to the rose tinted ones who only post here when we tend to win.
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

Thing is... This team would be great if they were taught how to defend!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

With 36 Games to play it is still early days. Between now and the end of November we play 11 League games and 5 of them are against Truro, Taunton, Yeovil, Bath and WSM in West Country Derbies.

We have conceded 14 goals but 10 of those have come in 4 games v Dover, Worthing, Aveley and Hemel.

We are missing Dawson and Hall but even with them fit it must be clear we are lacking defensive quality at Right Back and Center Back.

October and November are make or break.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

Stickingitin wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 19:51 Thing is... This team would be great if they were taught how to defend!
thats down to Downes then
but the facts are
Donnellan was not bought as a Right Back at 26yo you would hope he can defend with 200 appearances in football behind him
Marshall 23yo would like to think he would have learnt how to defend with 100 career appearances ...not convincing at all
Tomlinson 21 is far too weak at this stage but he has been a defender and 60 appearances in his career
Moxey well he should not need teaching surely...500 appearances.

Very worrying we are carved open time after time at this level and unless its sorted we all know it will be a long hard season.
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

We could always be missing Dawson, Hall or lose Moxey and Lapslie and Halstead too.
But out of these players we have no creative midfielders we have no central defenders and we will soon be back down to only two strikers.
Hmm, seems like a repeat of last season only we know it's going to happen!
There is obviously a lacking in defensive training or we would not be letting in so many goals.
There is also a lacking in attacking training or we wouldn't be seeing Frank Nouble coming to us for Yeovil Town.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Stickingting, I agree with you but as downes is supposedly the defensive coach he can only work with what he has, neither tomlinson or marshall are ever going to make pro footballers and he must spend so much time with them just getting them past the tieing your own laces lesson, I agree we have not had a proper right back for several seasons, but give johnson his due if we had a surplus of forwards he would play one of them in that position. I have just listened to his post match and yet again I wanted to throw my lap top out the window, I really must get some anger management,he said several players did not play well today, no shit sherlock, they left players up field in transistion, thats because and heres a clue they actually wanted to win the game, what is wrong with your understanding of the tactics of footballI. Is their any danger that the torquay united interviewer, i wont get in tfree if I ask Johnson an awkward question could just ask one crippler such as, why cant you team defend.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

I doubt Johnson or Downes tell Marshall to head it back across goal the line from a corner.

I also doubt they tell Dan Martin to misplace a three yard pass when he’s the last man.

It’s time some of the players stood up to be counted. Too easy to just blame the management. And no, I don’t think they are the best thing since sliced bread.