Torquay United v Chelmsford City Sat 9 Sept KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Modgull wrote: 10 Sep 2023, 18:04 - the centre halves had another poor game -
Tad harsh! Since the Worthing debacle we've played seven games won six of them taking 18 points out of a possible 21, Now in my books a defence who concede only 5 goals in 6 winning games does not really indicate centre halves having bad games. 'Could do better' might be more appropriate i.e more clean sheets. How do you rank the losing teams centre halves if ours are poor?
Brixham63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Brixham63 »

Yep..good to see players previously slated growing in confidence and performing. Recall Halstead being described as the weak link by some not 18 months ago and was a rank liability. GJ is not always right like the rest of us but digging out good and improving performances from players takes time and is not guaranteed, especially young players. I predict when Hall and Dawson are back even as bit part players adding to the experience of Moxey and Lapslie we will blow this league apart, as we should.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Halstead's turnaround since the start of *last* season has been nothing short of incredible. It's almost impossible to overstate how bad he was in 21/22. I don't know if it was an issue was setting down in the area, or a very dodgy defence in front of him, but he was terrible. But as I said, since the beginning of last season he has arguably been our most consistent player. It's to his credit - and probably Johnson's - that he's been rehabilitated in this way.

Onto another "project"; Brett McGavin. I don't think anybody has ever denied that he has ability, but too often last season his lack of mobility was hopelessly exposed. Then, early on in this season, particularly vs Woking, the same again. He was almost comically bad, and after getting dropped I didn't think we'd see him again.

His past two games have been very encouraging. I don't know if the system we're playing protects him a bit more, but he's not giving the ball away and that's at least half the battle in any team. (I did see one occasion on Saturday where he was gamely trying to get back into defence despite not having the motor to do so). An excellent goal, and hope he continues to push on. Even in his darkest days he's been willing to receive the ball (much like Armani Little in the past), so I would like to see him become a cult figure at Plainmoor.

Thought we were the better side overall on the day despite the defence still being quite scary. As others have said, with Dawson back in the squad, we should be more than enough for pretty much every team in the division. Think I'd still prefer to see another CB come in, despite the burgeoning partnership of Tomlinson and Marshall - although Tomlinson, for me, is getting better with each game.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Anyone who has played the game to any level whatsoever will tell you that confidence is the biggest determinant of performance.

I'm sure we can all think of scores of players over the decades who have either looking woeful here and gone on to succeed elsewhere or managed to turn things round at Plainmoor. For the latter, look at Wayne Carlisle, Jamie Reid and now most recently Mark Halstead.

Ultimately players are human beings. It's hard sometimes, but too many fans forget this and choose to pile in and write young lads off when some positive encouragement could help coax out a future club legend.

I'm delighted Mark stuck with it and took a second chance. Hopefully Brett can follow in his path.
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Really nice to see positive comments