Torquay United v Chelmsford City Sat 9 Sept KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Good performance. Lost a bit of tempo when 1 up and it could have cost us. Wonderful goal from McGavin, what a strike. Ash worked his socks off today.

Good performance from Jenko, and 3 points. Some will complain, but we can still improve and are now 19 points from 9 games, which isn't bad for a stuttering team.

Well done lads! COYY!
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

Building on an improved performance against Farnborough, there was a really good grit and determination to stand up to the Chelmsford challenge, which let's be honest are one of the strongest teams that will come to Plainmoor this season and they were right up for it eh!
But fair play we didn't let them out-muscle us, albeit we are still a rather lightweight team, especially in defence.

Best thing about this performance was that we can see we have a lot more to come as players are finding their feet, as is the squad finding its cohesion gradually and we showed we can stand up to one of the better teams in this division.
Onwards and upwards
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I am a little surprised at the lack of comments considering it was a big match for both teams. Yes, we could have had two within ten minutes, the second chance should have been buried by jarvis not trying to pass to ash. I didnt think our passing game was on song today which might have been down in part to the opposition who in general were a big nasty team, it was a tropical afternoon and we we were perspiring just watching so I couldnt imagine the effort involved in running for 90 minutes, perhaps I am alone but I do not agree that jenkins davies had a good game, it seemed from what I saw that it was another run around achieve little game , yes he took a free kick which ended up as an own goal but ten minutes earlier he should have had a certain goal by shooting as opposed to his choice of trying to dribble through half of their team , end result a throw in. stobbs is a real threat going forward but he cannot track back and the least said about his defending the better, our defence was nervous today they dropped so deep everytime chelmsford attacked I thought they would walk it into the goal on more than one occasion.
Did not have a clear view of what happened near the tunnel after the match but I got the impression that at least three of their players tried to sandbag marshall.
All in all a hard fought three points, considering the way we started the season we should be pleased with ourselves.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Another good win! The out Gary boys gone a bit quiet?
I get the feeling when the dust settles this season is going to be a slug fest with Yeovil for that automatic promotion spot.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Was in London today so headed out to watch MKdons v county great to see Cameron and nemane play both really class acts and sorely missed by Torquay.
What a goal by Cameron!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Here's the latest prediction league update… Last game vs Chelmsford 2-1 WIN

Username ----------------- Prediction ----------------- Overall Points
Gullsandbeyond121 ----------------- 2-1 ----------------- 18
RodneyJacksRightFoot ----------------- 2-1 ----------------- 18
DerekDawkinsJnr ----------------- 2-0 ----------------- 16
portugull ----------------- 2-1 ----------------- 15
Incredigull ----------------- 2-1 ----------------- 14
SuperNickyWroe ----------------- 2-1 ----------------- 12
UnitedinDevon ----------------- 2-0 ----------------- 12
Chelston TUFC ----------------- 2-1 ----------------- 11
zebgull ----------------- 2-1 ----------------- 10
Eirik ----------------- 2-1 ----------------- 9
North Curry House ----------------- 0-2 ----------------- 9
Cheddargull ----------------- 3-0 ----------------- 8
Mr Tea808 ----------------- 2-2 ----------------- 8
notnow ----------------- 2-0 ----------------- 8
Brewers boy ----------------- 2-1 ----------------- 7
Dgulls ----------------- 1-0 ----------------- 7
Midlandgull ----------------- 2-1 ----------------- 7
Minneapolisgull ----------------- 2-0 ----------------- 7
Swindon gull ----------------- 1-0 ----------------- 7
budegull1954 ----------------- 2-0 ----------------- 6
Dave_Pougher ----------------- 2-0 ----------------- 6
gullsgullsgulls ----------------- 1-1 ----------------- 6
Hornblower ----------------- 2-0 ----------------- 6
Hot Rod ----------------- 5-1 ----------------- 6
leetufc ----------------- 1-0 ----------------- 6
MellowYellow ----------------- 4-0 ----------------- 6
tufcyellowarmy ----------------- 2-1 ----------------- 6
Southampton Gull ----------------- 1-0 ----------------- 5
Taelee73 ----------------- 3-2 ----------------- 5
United62 ----------------- 3-2 ----------------- 5
Cruisinho ----------------- 3-1 ----------------- 4
Dave ----------------- 1-1 ----------------- 4
happytorq ----------------- 3-1 ----------------- 4
Hereford Gull66 ----------------- 1-0 ----------------- 4
Louis ----------------- ----------------- 4
Oil Beef Hooked ----------------- 3-1 ----------------- 4
Sesimbra ----------------- 0-0 ----------------- 4
ShropGull ----------------- 2-1 ----------------- 4
teddiebear ----------------- 3-1 ----------------- 3
Admiral ----------------- 0-2 ----------------- 2
Brucie ----------------- ----------------- 2
culmstockgull ----------------- 2-0 ----------------- 2
Rio Doherty ----------------- 3-2 ----------------- 2
Skillsy ----------------- ----------------- 2
The deluder ----------------- 2-0 ----------------- 2
torregull ----------------- ----------------- 2
Willhtq ----------------- 3-1 ----------------- 2
AdrianC ----------------- 1-1 ----------------- 1
Brixham63 ----------------- ----------------- 1
dawlishmatt ----------------- ----------------- 1
Kingsgull83 ----------------- ----------------- 1
Nick Potkins ----------------- ----------------- 1
SDYellow ----------------- 3-2 ----------------- 1
Wolborough ----------------- ----------------- 1
DevonBee ----------------- ----------------- 0
Forest gull ----------------- ----------------- 0
Knightmaregull ----------------- ----------------- 0
markypoos77 ----------------- ----------------- 0
numpte ----------------- ----------------- 0
Paignton Gull ----------------- ----------------- 0
Saints1908 ----------------- ----------------- 0
Stickingitin ----------------- ----------------- 0
SWgull ----------------- ----------------- 0
Wubble U ----------------- ----------------- 0
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

A massive 3 points against a good Chelmsford side.
Missed chances early on, and the visitors hit the post and crossbar. A worldly strike from McGavin and worthy of winning any game. Massive gaps in central defence is still a concern and needs addressing, as is very obvious.
The late show continues , a huge win against far better opponents than sorry Farnborough.
On another note huge mention to Jules for the magnificent playing surface of which I congratulated him on before kick off. COYY
Brixham63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Brixham63 »

Young players improving..building confidence. Best keeper in the National Leagues. This without Dawson and shall and loans still an option for centre half…I’ll take it.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

The first 15 minutes were incident packed and how it remained 0-0 at half time I just do not know.
Chelmsford were a confident side who looked comfortable on the ball but United created a number of good chances and Brad Ash scored a good goal but the lino who was not up with play when we scored ruled it out for offside.
The crowd really got behind the team and the first half flew by. Will Jenkins Davies impressed me and I think he will benefit hugely from a season at Plainmoor.
On 56 minutes we took the lead with a contender for "Goal of the Season"
As a defender headed clear McGavin watched the ball drop and hit a spectacular volley into the top right hand side of the net showing great technique and Plainmoor erupted.
Rarely in just 2 games have I seen a player redeem himself so quickly but McGavin is a gifted player sometimes! He just needs to be more consistent and Gary Johnson might have found the position for Brett to thrive as a link between defence and midfield.
Chelmsford never gave up and after Bettemer their No 9 sub came on he hit the bar with a very good strike.
On 85 minutes they scored with a low shot from 20 yards which evaded 9 United defenders including Mark Halstead as it found the tiny gap by the right hand post.
However for the third time this season we pulled off a 2=1 win in added time when a long free kick from Will Jenkins Davies grazed the head of Carruthers and hit the net via the post. Phew!
Key 11 devastated Chelmsford players who were totally gutted.
What a game in front of 2,200 fans I guess the best crowd in NLS on the day.
COYY.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

2728 at Yeovil.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Very lucky to win this one. Chelmsford carved out chance after chance but inept finishing and our woodwork denied them at least a share of the points. I thought our midfield played with more confidence and cohesion than of late and I must congratulate Brett McGavin on a really wonderful strike - if only he could up his reaction time and work rate he would be a real asset to the team but as it is he is a bit of a 'luxury' player. Lapslie was energetic and, at times, showed real incisiveness - as did Stobbs. It is definitely in defence where we look most vulnerable - the centre halves had another poor game - although Moxey brought an element of stability, rescuing his fellow defenders on several occasions. Halstead made two fine saves, was generally tidy and his distribution, particularly to the left, was outstanding regularly getting the ball to Ash out wide. Unfortunately, he and Jarvis had off-days yesterday and spurned several good chances early on. In total we only had 7 attempts with one on target all game. But if we can stay near the top of the league whilst playing badly it bodes well for later in the season by when, I hope, we will have accumulated sufficient experience of playing together that we can kick on and start to dominate teams.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Guess it's all about opinions Modgul, I thought we were the better side and didn't concider us lucky to win. We should have been 4-1 up within the first 15 minutes. It was wrong decision making from both our strikers that stopped that happening, either being too selfish or not selfish enough, although we to hit the woodwork in that opening period.

I thought Chelmsford played some nice football to begin with, but fell away a bit. They had a couple of spells of pressure but I never really believed they were going to go on and win it. Overall for me, we were both the better side and deserved the 3 points. I feel the last 2 matches we have looked much improved, in both defense and in creating chances and it feels like we're getting to grips with a style of play and teams in this division.

Early days I know.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Woudnt say we played badly and we should have won the game in the first 20 minutes really. Personally dont agree that we have improved much in defence which is our weak link. Thought the disallowed goal was the wrong decision, their number 5 should have been sent off, but agree we deserved to win it just) in the end.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

portugull wrote: 10 Sep 2023, 17:05 Rarely in just 2 games have I seen a player redeem himself so quickly but McGavin is a gifted player sometimes! He just needs to be more consistent and Gary Johnson might have found the position for Brett to thrive as a link between defence and midfield.
Square pegs in square holes. Took Johnson long enough to realise that.