FA cup vs Wimborne

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Imagine still dining out on something from the 80's........
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

McGavin much improved 🤔 well he could not get worse than last season could he ?
Hall and Dawson back and he will be benched is my opinion.
He will have to wait his chance again, and with the Old timers he might have to wait long for the next muscle pull to get another chance.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Come on Southampton Gull, I'm trying to put things into perspective, how far we've fallen, now to regional football, for a lot of fans, myself included I can't really get hyped about where we're at these days, it's just a shame that it's gotten so bad, I suppose the only way is up, and I get football has changed a heck of a lot, even teams in league 2 are payinig big money, even NL clubs are, but I miss being in league two or the old Div 4..
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 12:47 I'm still GJ out, dining out on beating Wimbourne, playing 2nd or 3rd qualifying rounds for the FA cup when I can remember playing Sheff Weds in the early 80's (and again in late 80's) beating West Ham, playing Coventry, I know Spurs was League cup but even so it's great memories, nowadays fans seem content with beating Wimbourne and keeping a clean sheet, it's hardly setting the bar high is it?, GJ has taken us back to 6th tier regional football, and so far I still think the jury is out on whether we'll even go up this season, our points tally could easily be six points less than it currently is if it wasn't for our keeper who so far is the best Gulls player this season. Having said all that, the league for me dosent really take shape until 15 league games in, by then it's a lot clearer with the direction of how things are heading for all teams.
Well, do join the rest of us then at your leisure in 2023....
As for "six points less," well guess what?
It isn't.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 20:04 Come on Southampton Gull, I'm trying to put things into perspective, how far we've fallen, now to regional football, for a lot of fans, myself included I can't really get hyped about where we're at these days, it's just a shame that it's gotten so bad, I suppose the only way is up, and I get football has changed a heck of a lot, even teams in league 2 are payinig big money, even NL clubs are, but I miss being in league two or the old Div 4..
But I think you're missing the perspective. We're owned by someone with zero interest in football so to be close to the top of the league and into the next round of the cup is the best anyone can dine on right now. Clean sheet, 3 goals scored, another for McGavin yet still it's all doom and gloom. If league status was the only criteria for supporting a team then we wouldn't be here would we? Nostalgia is fine but to dismiss victories these days and berate fans happy with a win is a bit churlish if you ask me. Besides, you did say it was an A standard win :lol:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Was a typo, was a standard win, not A STANDARD. I'm genuinely not trying to berate fans, honestly not, we win a few games 2-1 Vs part timers, and it's all great again, but for me it's a sad state of affairs really, I've seen some super players (and a few bad ones) at Plainmoor, and some cracking games Vs quality opposition, now we've got a local derby Vs Truro, I'm going to start taking my kids again soon as I do want them to follow and support Gulls, they went a few years ago, but got to tired and nodded off, no joke intended!,
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Skillsy »

Why is it all a constant battle?? Surely we are all on the same side.

Nobody disputes dropping out of the Football League, and then the National League, is a massive downward step. But, hopefully, things will turn around. For some, if we don't win the NLS it will be deemed a disaster. If we do, no credit will be given as it will be seen as a a noddy League. Performances this season haven't been great, but we must be doing alright to be one point off the top.

Love him, or not, Mr Osbourne has pumped fortunes into our club. I thank him. Without him, I dread to think where we would be. I only hope we never leave Plainmoor as the club will lose its identity and character, and most likely any new ground will be a soulless, concrete bowl. Some clubs have prospered from moving, many have not.

From a playing point of view, things are positive. A couple of observations......playing out from the back, particularly to the left, invites trouble. Please stop this nonsense. We also still need a brute of a centre half, someone who would kick his own Granny. McGavin has done very well recently, he must have a strength of character to overcome the critics......he may be the the creative midfield player we need. Donnellan, despite much criticism, has been a stalwart. Lapslie is the type of player needed to win this League, so too Jarvis. Halstead must be the best goalie in the League.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Midlandgull wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 17:32 Good solid result that. Onwards we go! Hope we can have a really good cup run.

Is it the 4QR round that the National League sides enter and the 3QR is the teams who progressed from 2QR?

Wonder if it will be regionalised still for 3QR?
Yes National League teams enter at the 4QR. The whole of the qualifying competition is regionalised.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Todays draw is Live on Talksport2 from 1pm
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by Midlandgull »

Cheddargull wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 01:18 Yes National League teams enter at the 4QR. The whole of the qualifying competition is regionalised.
Thanks! I can never find clear info on the regionalised criteria.
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills

Post by Wubble U »

Gullsandbeyond121 wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 05:40 Todays draw is Live on Talksport2 from 1pm
At home to Hungerford in the next round then... not bad
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Wubble U wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 13:07 At home to Hungerford in the next round then... not bad
Settle for that a Home draw :scarf:
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

Wubble U wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 10:48 It was the sort of move we desperately needed, wiley old head steering the defence, but at best we'll end up with lightweight 'starlet' from an U21s team learning the game.
Is that not what Moxey has been doing? I mean, I agree that we need some reinforcements in defence, but we're not going to be able to bring in an experienced, good, 29 year old central defender. Yes, Yeovil have brought in that SMith guy, but he's 35! We've seen before that having, shall we say, 'senior' players can cause issues with non-availability later on. Yeovil have Smith, Nouble, Jake Hyde and Rhys Murphy, all older players who probably will not (definitely will not in Nouble's case) be playing on the 8 (?) artificial surfaces away from home. In our case, it's players like Hall and Dawson who will do more to improve our defence, as we saw last season the positive effect both of those players had.

Tomlinson does seem to be improving in every game, and while the thought of Nouble taking him on worries me, I don't think there's any value in bringing in somebody like Mark Ellis again (who I thought was pretty poor for us in his loan spell). If there's a viable defender who will actually improve us, great, but we shouldn't be panicked into acquiring 'experience', especially since one of the main accusations leveled at the management team for the past few seasons is a reluctance to trust young players. Tomlinson is being given a run in the side, and he's doing ok. It's fair to assume he'll continue to improve, and heck, maybe one day we'll see a financial return.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

Skillsy wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 00:29 Love him, or not, Mr Osbourne has pumped fortunes into our club. I thank him. Without him, I dread to think where we would be. I only hope we never leave Plainmoor as the club will lose its identity and character, and most likely any new ground will be a soulless, concrete bowl. Some clubs have prospered from moving, many have not.
I don't think anybody disputes this. With that said, there's no telling what sort of owner might have been able to come in had the board not already been in hock to Osborne. I'm not suggesting we'd be watching Welcome To Torquay on Hulu (or Disney+, there?) at all, but there's every chance that some sort of owner might have been found. We'll never really know, of course.

So yes, I"m grateful to Osborne for keeping the club going. At the same I'm fully aware that a functioning, League 2 football club is not his ultimate aim. He doesn't care about the club itself, he doesn't care about football in South Devon, and he doesn't give a shit about the community. It's possible that both his aim and those of the fans can be aligned, but so far he's yet to demonstrate that it's something he wants to address, so I think it's reasonable to assume that he doesn't care, and instead hoping for a way to make money out of the situation, for he is a businessman first.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
The Eternal Optimist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by The Eternal Optimist »

Anyone know what the gate was at Wimbourne. It looked like a full house on the highlights.