FA cup vs Wimborne

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

Wubble U wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 10:48 I have to agree regarding our defence, every game we look flaky at the back and the one area that was crying our for being strengthened since last season and we've brought no one in.

How many times this season have we seen Marshall and Tomlinson open a massive gap between them and the strikers getting in time and time again.

When I saw Yeovil bring in Michael Smith last week, it confirmed my thinking that Yeovil will win this league. It was the sort of move we desperately needed, wiley old head steering the defence, but at best we'll end up with lightweight 'starlet' from an U21s team learning the game.

I guess it's purely down to the contrasting finances, but will be the difference between winning the league and settling for playoffs.
Spot on, central defence is lightweight and needs strengthening if we are to win this league. The Big games will be against Yeovil without doubt. Nouble v Tomlinson I wonder who might win that battle ?
We need Hall and Dawson back asap, then the likes of McGavin and Hanson can warm the bench or farmed out like Crowe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Gullsandbeyond121 wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 11:23 Spot on, central defence is lightweight and needs strengthening if we are to win this league. The Big games will be against Yeovil without doubt. Nouble v Tomlinson I wonder who might win that battle ?
We need Hall and Dawson back asap, then the likes of McGavin and Hanson can warm the bench or farmed out like Crowe.
Talking sh1t.
Why would you want to loan out McGavin after his recent improved performances in a new position that suits him?
Just the thing for his confidence FFS.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Gullsandbeyond121 wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 11:23 Spot on, central defence is lightweight and needs strengthening if we are to win this league. The Big games will be against Yeovil without doubt. Nouble v Tomlinson I wonder who might win that battle ?
The same McGavin who won us the game last Saturday and played well yesterday- scoring another? Who knows what loans we have lined up. For now we sit one point off top and in the next round of the Cup, so how about a glass half full?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

The 'Out Gary" brigade are on the retreat so their new offensive is to blame the defence. The same defence that has keep out the opposition for us to win the last 7 out of eight games. If a clean sheet at Wimborne does not keep them happy not sure what will.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I'm still GJ out, dining out on beating Wimbourne, playing 2nd or 3rd qualifying rounds for the FA cup when I can remember playing Sheff Weds in the early 80's (and again in late 80's) beating West Ham, playing Coventry, I know Spurs was League cup but even so it's great memories, nowadays fans seem content with beating Wimbourne and keeping a clean sheet, it's hardly setting the bar high is it?, GJ has taken us back to 6th tier regional football, and so far I still think the jury is out on whether we'll even go up this season, our points tally could easily be six points less than it currently is if it wasn't for our keeper who so far is the best Gulls player this season. Having said all that, the league for me dosent really take shape until 15 league games in, by then it's a lot clearer with the direction of how things are heading for all teams.
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

The yawn brigade wont stop its their lifestyle. Must be fuming with all the wins
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

I’m still Gary out, Leicester got relegated and nothing short of promotion straight back to the prem will be deemed acceptable, the same goes for us this season in a lesser league. Of course I want us to win every game and get promoted under Johnson but even if we go up I still think we’d need a change to stay there. Hopefully GJ can right his wrongs, gain some mutual respect and get us back up. For now, at least we’re getting results and building some momentum.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

MellowYellow, This has nothing to do with the Johnson in or out campaign which is not really anthing more than annoyance held over from last season, several people moaning about him does not constitute a campaign. Besides he is experienced and old enough to look after himself.
My comments are based purely on what I see, not a single game taken out of context, if you had been at wimborne yesterday you would have seen as I have have since the start of the season exactly what i mentioned in an earlier post, our back four struggled against a part time, overweight team from two leagues down. Moxey was good on the left but judging by the way he was moving is still carrying an injury and mcgavin was his permanent shadow covering for any mishaps, Hanson if could stick to his task and not go walkabout is a secure and competant right back with an eye for a pass, Tomlinson and Marshall would in all honesty struggle to get into wimborne's team,they are a disaster waiting to happen. On paper we have a squad of 20, take out the spare keeper, two long term injures, one gone to havant and a first year pro who will in reality be going out on loan and we are paper thin, yesterday, two went off with injuries, Hanson holding his hamstring, Jarvis, as he was face down and sparko for several minutes probable consussion.
If this constitutes a Johnson out posting then so be it.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

culmstockgull wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 13:47 MellowYellow, This has nothing to do with the Johnson in or out campaign which is not really anthing more than annoyance held over from last season, several people moaning about him does not constitute a campaign. Besides he is experienced and old enough to look after himself.
My comments are based purely on what I see, not a single game taken out of context, if you had been at wimborne yesterday you would have seen as I have have since the start of the season exactly what i mentioned in an earlier post, our back four struggled against a part time, overweight team from two leagues down. Moxey was good on the left but judging by the way he was moving is still carrying an injury and mcgavin was his permanent shadow covering for any mishaps, Hanson if could stick to his task and not go walkabout is a secure and competant right back with an eye for a pass, Tomlinson and Marshall would in all honesty struggle to get into wimborne's team,they are a disaster waiting to happen. On paper we have a squad of 20, take out the spare keeper, two long term injures, one gone to havant and a first year pro who will in reality be going out on loan and we are paper thin, yesterday, two went off with injuries, Hanson holding his hamstring, Jarvis, as he was face down and sparko for several minutes probable consussion.
If this constitutes a Johnson out posting then so be it.
I was at Wimborne yesterday Culmstock and I agree with you. We and many others can see the frailties despite the recent run. Yes it has improved
but we have just beaten a side that is in the 8th tier of English football, so its a win and into the next round. Nothing else and we need to strengthen this defence now.
Brixham63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Brixham63 »

GJ must be desperately looking for experienced defenders..that’s the on pitch game time leadership and example young players need..I’m all for GJ getting us out of this league but seeing our rivals recruiting well means either we’re not paying or attractive enough. We’re three injuries away from having no subs…
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I'm enjoying the current results and long may it continue, however I'd prefer to take a long term view, not a short term 5 minute, we've won few games all is forgiven view.

Gary Johnson is not the right man to take us forward, so still GJ out
Formerly known as forevertufc
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Yawn
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

I think it's well known that there is no budget available, with so many players staying with us when they were expected to leave. So I assume there is no money to be paying a loan players wages, we need a freebie where the parent club pay most or all the wages. As such, there can't be much around.

Mcgavin has been much improved of late and has now added a few goals to the mix, so who'd even think to loan him out.

Both Asa and Dawson were walking around freely last Saturday, so hopefully both are close to returning.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

We're full time professional team, playing in League that's almost exclusively part-time league, against many clubs who are spending less than a third on wages we are.

We're winning games 85th minute plus, when our opponents are tiring, unless the squad is strengthed this may or may not continue.

Yawn away, some live in reality.
Formerly known as forevertufc
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 12:47 I'm still GJ out, dining out on beating Wimbourne, playing 2nd or 3rd qualifying rounds for the FA cup when I can remember playing Sheff Weds in the early 80's (and again in late 80's) beating West Ham, playing Coventry, I know Spurs was League cup but even so it's great memories, nowadays fans seem content with beating Wimbourne and keeping a clean sheet, it's hardly setting the bar high is it?, GJ has taken us back to 6th tier regional football, and so far I still think the jury is out on whether we'll even go up this season, our points tally could easily be six points less than it currently is if it wasn't for our keeper who so far is the best Gulls player this season. Having said all that, the league for me dosent really take shape until 15 league games in, by then it's a lot clearer with the direction of how things are heading for all teams.
Who’s ‘dining out on beating Wimborne’? No one is. It was a non event of a game that we won comfortably.