Slough vs Torquay 26/08/23 15:00

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Bit like here united!!!
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

happytorq wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 02:05 You would have no doubt been apoplectic had they not won today. But they did win...yet you still find reason to be mad.

Of course we shouldn't be in this division, but we are. The aim is to get out. The team hasn't been sweeping away everything in its path but they have won 3 in a row, and are averaging 2 points a game. That's a decent start.

Playing terribly and winning is way better than playing terribly and not winning.
I don't know how many times that I have to say this but of course I am happy we won ! BUT have you and all the other sycophants actually seen us play and not just on You Tube either !

This is just papering over the cracks !!

Five games in and we just about manage to put a team out ! Injuries piling up already ! We have not played well for the majority of any game. " Playing terribly and winning is way better than playing terribly and not winning. "! Agreed but how long will that last certainly not for another 41 games !!

I am sick to death of being out played and out fought and out thought !!

One of the major reasons for our relegation was the dreadful home record. Losing TEN games 7 games by one goal including a magnificent run of four successive 1-2 defeats. Where kamikaze tactics lost us so many points. No idea of how to close a game down and make sure you get something from it. I don't even want to mention the 1-4 to Solihull and 1- 5 to Chesterfield !

Was this addressed in the close season by signing an experienced or at least savvy with this league defender (s) of course not lets rely instead on two great servants to the club but whose legs "have gone" and a midfield player who had to have an operation and will miss the best part of three months out !

Is that good management ?

The summer recruitment has been crap for three seasons landing us with dross like Hanson Crowe and McGavin ( 3 year contract !! ) Did our wonderful head of recruitment ( Gary's brother ..nepotism ! ) actually watch these players in action other than when they managed to score against us .....more cause for alarm ! Or were they signed based on a couple of You Tube clips and that Gary is a friend of McGavins dad Steve who was previously head of Ipswich's academy ? !! Pure Laziness

Johnson signed nearly a dozen plyers either on loan or short term contracts most of which " played " a game or two and were never heard of again

I give you John Mensah !

Is that good management ?

Their is no indication that any lessons have been learnt. THAT'S why I am unhappy as I can see this turning into a shit show of epic proportions.
I do not want that to happen

This is only my ON field concerns !!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

10 points from 5 games is ok considering the injury crisis (yet again) - however when you see that the two teams immediately above us are Taunton and Bath it makes you realise that this league isnt its all cracked up to be.

All the points you make are valid ones. Looks like we will be missing the big four of Mozey, Lapslie, Dawson amd Hall tomorrow - 5 games in and they wont be anywhere near action. Lapslies got an ankle problem and turning him out on the plastic yesterday has presumably done for him for the time being.

I think our points total is possibly more than we deserve to be honest. I think we deservedly beat Chippenham and St Albans. Dover - maybe a draw about right. Yesterday well we were embarassing in the first half. So in my view we played four really poor sides. The only half decent team (Worthing) and we got hammered which is probably a true reflection of where we are.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

teddiebear wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 14:45Yawn
Pitiful, pathetic and predictable response.

:@ :@ :@ :@
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Unlike your same old dutch treat
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

teddiebear wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 15:21 Unlike your same old dutch treat
At least I can string a few sentences together to explain my point of view rather than your pathetic one word comment.

Are you incapable of writing anything more than that ?

Can you explain why you hold your point of view ?

I would have a little bit of respect for you if you did !

I expect a "yawn" as a reply :lol: :lol: :lol:
rivieratouch
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by rivieratouch »

Out of interest, and I wasn't at the game, but who actually is the captain in the absence of our favoured two, in Asa and Mox. Radio Devon guessed at Laps, but others suggest Halstead. Can anyone confirm
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

Mark Halstead
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Halstead
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Went to game yesterday, pretty poor first half when the team were just not at the races. Don't think you can blame Johnson for that, attitude and desire were not there and Slough the better team and up for it.
Appalling surface, just hate artificial pitches for Senior football (its ok for Wednesday night walking football) , the ball doesn't run true and they were no doubt used to it but that's what you get in semi amateur football i guess. 2nd half we turned up and Ash scored a couple of well taken goals. The boy can finish, no doubt about that and would imagine he will better last seasons tally as the season progresses.
3pts, early season, we will get better, stop dooooooom merchants!
TUST #324
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 13:13
I heard that there were chants of "gary out" whilst 1-0 down, its really pathetic during the game and unhelpful with a team clearly trying to build their confidence
Seeing those chants were followed by us scoring twice you could argue it gave the team and management a kick up the backside, certainly doesn't seem to have done any harm.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

numpte wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 20:44 Went to game yesterday, pretty poor first half when the team were just not at the races. Don't think you can blame Johnson for that, attitude and desire were not there and Slough the better team and up for it.
On match day surely generating attitude and desire is exactly what Johnson should be responsible for!
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

gullsgullsgulls wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 21:28 On match day surely generating attitude and desire is exactly what Johnson should be responsible for!
Precisely ! A manager manages !
A manager should inspire and motivate his players. That's the whole point of a manager surely !!

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

And they won. Well done gary
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

gullsgullsgulls wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 21:28 On match day surely generating attitude and desire is exactly what Johnson should be responsible for!
I’d argue that comes from within. In whatever form of working life you are in, do you rely on your manager for attitude or is that from yourself?
TUST #324