Slough vs Torquay 26/08/23 15:00

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Standing with family members who are supporters of slough today, if it wasnt a big enough challenge watching a team that did not show for the first half, I lost count of the abuse I got mainly on the theme of, I thought you were favourites for this league, Now lets be totally honest if it wasnt for halstead we would have lost that by six or more, we could not cope with their direct football although supposedly we trained all week on a artifiical surface but you would not have known it and I cannot believe that slough changed the manner of their normal play for this one game so I assume that no bothered watching them before hand.
Did not see why martin went off early, did not appear injured. Second 45 in the absence of anything else we decided to give footie a chance, the first goal from Ash was a beautiful with a lovely curle.There must be something in jenkins davies loan agreement that states he must play regardless of him not being ready for mens football,he may make a good footballer one day but at present he does not have the vision, stamina or build to cope in midfield. If Johnson had any input then it was the half time team talk because during the game he was a mute statue, and not that we needed it but another game when we picked up injuries.
I would have taken the draw before the game and doubled up on that thought at half time, but if continue to just turn up for 45 minutes and come home with the points I will take it, thank you.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Thanks Enzo . great report
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

My own view is the artificial surfaces are a bit of a leveller so I was hardly expecting a great performance today. Neither was I expecting to be totally outclassed by a team who are relegation favourites.

Whether you are pro Johnson or not wins are wins at the end of the day. Other than the forum moron who can seem to string more than three letters together nooone seriously believes that anyone on here wants the team to lose.

However if you watch the highlights of that game, the first half was a complete horror show. We just dont have a defence. Two great goals from Ash but we all but we got out of jail today. Theres blindingly massive holes in this team and it needs addressing and pronto.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Dutchgull wrote: 26 Aug 2023, 18:12
I am SOOOO grateful for a win at mighty Sough Town.
You would have no doubt been apoplectic had they not won today. But they did win...yet you still find reason to be mad.

Of course we shouldn't be in this division, but we are. The aim is to get out. The team hasn't been sweeping away everything in its path but they have won 3 in a row, and are averaging 2 points a game. That's a decent start.

Playing terribly and winning is way better than playing terribly and not winning.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Injury blighted team. On grass. On plastic. 3 points counts. In gary we trust
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

You have to be amused at the music coming from the PA system during the GJ post match interview!!

Very apt indeed !!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

We gain our third straight win, so why are we seeing such a negative and sceptical reaction from a percentage of our fan base, well do have to take it back to last season, it is still relevant, I know for a fact most of the popside diehards that gather around the flags and drum, have not yet forgiven last season avoidable relegation, nor has the trust they lost in Gary Johnson been regained, so mixed reactions are understandable.

A win is a win right ? Well yes and no, recent performances have been terrible but we have won three match's on the spin, that's a good thing and helps towards the overall points total , we'd all rather being winning games than losing that's for sure, however, despite some protestations about the NLS no longer being a mickey mouse league, well in many respects it very much is still a standard of football that from perhaps 7th down to 24th lacks in real quality, there are a number of stronger teams in and about this level than our last visit, agreed, must not be forgotten still a division that is almost entirely part-time, so there's little or no doubt our team will win a fair amount of games by default.

We're only 5 games in, so too early to tell who the real movers and shakers are going to be, however, as the league currently stands, we've only played one team currently sat in the top ten, Worthing and we saw our team beaten with ease, all our other opponents are currently sat in the bottom ten , will we see our team continue to get away with current performance levels, maybe, maybe not, this is why it isn't always the case of being happy with 'a win is a win'

This season a play-off place should be a 100% given, promotion a minimum requirement, results currently suggest we're on course for that, performances on the other hand , being the fact we have much stronger teams to play compared with our recent opposition, suggest we may not be on course to achieve these requirements.

We all know and and agree we're 2-3 players short in the squad, the lack of loan arrivals is to me, alarming, I do not believe we're some how waiting for the FL transfer window to shut, so we can mop up some surplus to requirements players to supplement our squad, time will tell there.

So until that alters and we see our team perform, gaining positive results against the teams sat near the top of this league, the scepticism will continue.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

:goodpost:
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Winning when playing badly is a good sign. However, we are relying on Mark Halstead to keep us in games and it won’t happen forever. We desperately need to bolster in midfield and we are one game closer to doing so.
dagglebert
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by dagglebert »

Football is a game were the best side do not always win. Lets be grateful for the 3 points.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Dave wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 08:41

We gain our third straight win........
:goodpost: Sums it up perfectly.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Prepared to cut them some slack for the pitch condition which Slough are used to but then Dover won there recently. Teams do raise their game against us but we have to get used to that and raise ours. It is concerning that we cannot be at it from the start and it seems to take a half time talk to wind them up.
See how tomorrow goes but we are due a 90 minute performance and a solid win . Will it be a leggy game - probably, but Braintree have to be as or more fatigued than us, something wrong if they are sharper and fitter.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

A very good post Dave, Yes, we are short of loans, but what are the chances of getting another diamond like Lawrence, balance of probablities suggest that to be slim, what we will get in some shape or another are untried developments youngsters from good academies and only then if the parent club pay their wages,they will take time to bed in, then where do we strenghten, to fil lthe obvious gaps we already possess, a good forward and a commanding back four player or do we go to cover for our perennial long term and regular absentees, because we cannot cover both options.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Playing poorly and winning. That’ll do for now. Our young defenders will slowly gain confidence and experience. Am I happy with the win? Hell yes. Our form? Not yet. We certainly don’t want to peak too soon in the season, so where we are will do for now. COYY.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

3 wins on the bounce which i'll certianly take over the first 2 games

I heard that there were chants of "gary out" whilst 1-0 down, its really pathetic during the game and unhelpful with a team clearly trying to build their confidence

im sure they were quiet at 1-2 and FT

During the 90mins support the team