St Albans City v Torquay United - 19th August 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

culmstockgull wrote: 19 Aug 2023, 16:40 According to the radio commentator we are playing slough, if he has said it once he has said it half a dozen times.
So who are we playing next week then?
Hornblower
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Hornblower »

Great result. Let's be positive for once.
pnutgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by pnutgull »

Mellow Yellow was spot on. Defensively we were so much better than previous games and although in the second half St Albans had a lot more of the ball the majority of that was back on the halfway line playing sideway passes as most going forward were either intercepted or forced back. A game to build on.
Lapslie seemed perfectly OK at the end of the game which was a relief and the support was excellent.... at least 300 and probably quite a few more
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Good win but they had plenty of injuries as well, 3 points away from home is a good result.

Someone said that Chippenham and Worthing were good sides - well not by todays results. Its a poor league despite what people say.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Interesting that Johnson alluded to getting in 3 or 4 loan signings once the transfer window closes stating thats what we need
dagglebert
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by dagglebert »

Good result, especially with all the injuries and absences. Up to 10th, and only outside the play off positions on GD. But the thinness of the squad is a worry, and we picked up 4 yellow cards, which doesn't help. Reinforcements needed!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

The EFL Transfer Window closes at 11pm on Friday 1st September.

Hopefull we will get in 2 or 3 loan players which if they are good will transform this team.

I am sure we have a list of potential loan signings we just have to be patient for a little bit longer.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Well Johsnon said that we would need 4 of these loans
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

GJ obviously has some loans in mind that hopefully have been well researched and not just to be acquired on the basis of one friendly against us, however it only needs two of those three to put in good performance for their home team and all of a sudden three becomes one, what we actually need are battle hardened experience but we probably cannot afford them,so I imagine it will a group of under 19's who on paper are talented but not ready to being kicked all over the park for 90 minutes, Lawrence was a rare exception to that rule.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Ps prediction league may be a bit delayed over next couple weeks while I’m in Turkey.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

brucie I would be astonished if 4 loan players arrive at the same time.

2 or 3 to start Sept and if 2 then another 2 during Sept or October. Only speculation on my part but maybe Gary will surprise us with 4 early doors!
Saints1908
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Saints1908 »

happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

portugull wrote: 20 Aug 2023, 17:21 brucie I would be astonished if 4 loan players arrive at the same time.

2 or 3 to start Sept and if 2 then another 2 during Sept or October. Only speculation on my part but maybe Gary will surprise us with 4 early doors!
this makes the most sense to me too. We've seen so far (Worthing aside) that the squad we already have is enough to - at least - compete in this division. bringing in 2 in early september to cover the areas we know we're deficient is a perfectly sensible thing. It's dealer's choice as to where that reinforcement should be, though; I still think we need some help in central defence becasue despite Marshall's (so far) triumphant return and Tomlinson's emergence, we don't have anybody who can step in with confidence with necessary. Our midfield apparently looks like the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan, too.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

hahahaha, certainly CB, CM & Striker, spine has to be stronger. maybe even 2 CM is more injuries or suspensions.

to come from more than likely, southampton, QPR, bristol city or plymouth/city
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

happytorq wrote: 21 Aug 2023, 14:41 this makes the most sense to me too. We've seen so far (Worthing aside) that the squad we already have is enough to - at least - compete in this division. bringing in 2 in early september to cover the areas we know we're deficient is a perfectly sensible thing. It's dealer's choice as to where that reinforcement should be, though; I still think we need some help in central defence becasue despite Marshall's (so far) triumphant return and Tomlinson's emergence, we don't have anybody who can step in with confidence with necessary. Our midfield apparently looks like the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan, too.
Four games in and our aspiration/ expectation of winning the league with varying degrees of comfort has been replaced with a realisation that we can just about compete with part timers (assuming we don’t lose any more to injury/suspension).

How far we have fallen.