Torquay v Chippenham Town 15/08/23 19:45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

An unconvincing and largely uninspiring win. Just about deserved though and credit to the players for battling through - no shortage of effort, but lacking confidence and low on quality. Probably the worst possible result for the owner of a football club who is unsure whether to stick or twist on their manager. Worst possible result for those fans who have given up on Johnson and were openly hoping for a defeat to hasten his departure. I don’t think this result and performance will make a difference either way to that situation - they either need to pull the trigger now or back the manager to strengthen as we seem to be down the the bare bones. The toxicity is never far from the surface with the fans, but it was another respectable turnout and the crowd stayed positive, albeit nervy with a slight feel of resignation.

Judging by the first three games, football in the NLS has changed since our last visit. Teams are far more comfortable on the ball. Chippenham were another who played it out from the back - they were not as slick as Worthing though and generally passed it about for 5 minutes and then lumped it forward. Personally, it has the rather annoying combination of being very effective against us and is also extremely boring to watch - worst of all worlds! We tried to play it about more too, but seemed to be in two minds much of the time. Jarvis cut a frustrated figure - coming short at times, but at others was clearly annoyed at the failure to deliver an early ball. Looked to have picked up a knock in the first half too. It wasn’t sticking up front for him and Ash during the first half. I thought Martin was the biggest plus - very committed and largely tidy in defence, but also offered an option going forward. Didn’t all come off, but he looked a threat. He was never going to last 90 minutes, but he can be pleased with his performance. Marshall also looked to have a positive impact - I’m not sure how he got into the position he did for the goal, but it needed to be a great header to score. It was so good, the announcer presumed it was Jarvis who had scored it.

Chippenham equalised with their very next attack - a very poor goal to give away defensively.

It was anyone’s game from that point with both sides makes chances. Chippenham hit the bar with a miscue and I thought we may have had a chance that had actually crossed the line, but the Lino and ref suggested otherwise. Chippenham lost the plot slightly and as we got stronger the fouls and time wasting started adding up. 11 minutes added on and we scored what turned out to be the winner in the 93. The best move of the match really with Ash and Jarvis combining nicely and a great finishing from Jarvis.

Not sure whether this takes us much further forward, but a win is a win and those three points could prove vital in our promotion / relegation / play off battle at the end of the season.
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

I take it theres a queue of would be managers from here who know the game much better than mr Johnson. And have so many contacts with teams wanting to chuck super loanees his way. Must be really hard for him choices. . Choices. choices
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

:goodpost:
Enzo wrote: 15 Aug 2023, 23:55 An unconvincing and largely uninspiring win........
Uninspiring performance against a side we should be smashing up. Better than Saturday, but let’s face it could not get any worse. Late, late winner but don’t be fooled by this result.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

United62 wrote: 15 Aug 2023, 12:03 That's when you know things are bad when Welling are considered to be a better footballing side and will be right up there when we haven't even played them yet!

:lol:

Yes, I know you meant Worthing, but after we've played Welling this post can be just cut 'n pasted.

:keepie:
Welling/ Worthing/ Woping?
Who knows but they ran rings around us.
Sad that we are in the same league as any of these
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Uninspiring and unconvincing, not how I and the majority of the other 2000 masochists who had nothing better to do on a tuesday evening would say, lacking confidence yes , but who wouldnt after the first two dismal displays. Listening to GJ post match I thought at one stage he was accepting an award he was so pumped, his back must have been red raw from the birchings he had given himself for having to return to a back four, the antichrist of all footballing systems in his book.
Last night we had one single plan first half, do not concede, thats why we had eleven behind the ball everytime they attacked, plaudits to martin and lapslie who ran themselves into the ground and played twice as many minutes as was good for them.
Not only do with need an experienced centre half and a spare forward we now need a midfielder, Hall visiting the local hospital is never a positive sign, Davies having to come on after 15 minutes instead of giving him the last 15 when halls legs have gone could have cost us the match, after saturday I said he wasnt up to mens football, just yet, last night confirmed that, he has no positional awareness, gets knocked off the ball far too easily and when defending just marks fresh air, its as if his young footballing brain cannot handle thinking,running and tackling all in the same match, Randall he is not, maybe for the future but not now.
So saturday, any travelling supporters bring your boots because as things stand you will get game time judging by the amount of injuries we are picking up.
dagglebert
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by dagglebert »

Some relief I guess. However we are still 15th, 5 points behind the leaders Worthing. And with a GD of -2. Early days, but lots of work to do.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Just relieved at the getting the points. We did deserve it for the second half . The players always seem happier playing 4-4-2
If Crowe can step up he could play right back and move Donnelan into midfield.
Stobbs puts over some great crosses which is encouraging, pleased for Marshall who's not had a great time here so far and a very good comeback game for Martin which is a big plus.
We can't be conceding in every game though,
6 so far just not good enough.
I know we've been poor but the standard of this league has gone up since 5 years ago based on the last two games, though they could be two of the better teams. I just hope we can make the play offs. Looks like re-signing Moxey, Hall and Dawson was a mistake, Dawson is a massive miss.
bringbackthecowshed
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tommy Mitchinson

Post by bringbackthecowshed »

Shite coverage on NTTV. no commentary, kept freezing, missed both goals anyone know the email address so I can complain and demand a refund
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

BigDave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BigDave »

I had the same issues and received the following response from:
K Bron <[email protected]>

Hi David,

Thanks for the email,

The live stream is a feed we are continuously working on to make as flawless a product as possible.

However, this event wasn't one in which we've noted any consistent issues over the course of the event. I've looked back over our reports and notes from the operations team and we've not noted any issues, nor did we receive any consistent complaints from other viewers.

This indicates that the issue wasn't on our end as a problem with how we upload/encode the event would be seen by every member watching the stream, rather than a single viewer. An error that just affects an individual viewer indicates that the problem is on their end.

The terms and conditions relating to streaming are available to view via the website. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer a refund for this service. I am sorry that your viewing experience was less than satisfactory and I wish we could be more helpful in fixing it. In order to qualify for a refund the issue would need to be on our end and our records indicate that it wasn't.

Kindest Regards,

I don't care about the £9.50 but the disdainful arrogance riles me enough to want to take it further if I can discover the right authority to complain to.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Hard working if unspectacular performance (probably due to lacking confidence). I think we deserved to win, first half pretty even although Chippenham didnt really threaten. Second half i thought we noticeably stepped up the pace, moving the ball quicker and were slightly the better team before they went down to 10 men. Disappointing to concede so soon after scoring but it was a wonderful curving ball into the box (was right behind it) for their equaliser.
The effort was certainly there from the team. Thought Martin and Lapslie were excellent and good to see the former back as alot of the positive play in1st half was down the left hand side. Not too sure the front two have clicked yet, they seemed too far apart from each other, but im sure that will come with games. Ash looks to have some pace and like the rest of the team worked hard. Keep that up lads.

Worrying though the injuries, hope we can put a team out on Saturday.
TUST #324
Saints1908
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Saints1908 »

BigDave wrote: 16 Aug 2023, 11:49 I had the same issues and received the following response from:

Hi David,

Thanks for the email,

The live stream is a feed we are continuously working on to make as flawless a product as possible.

However, this event wasn't one in which we've noted any consistent issues over the course of the event. I've looked back over our reports and notes from the operations team and we've not noted any issues, nor did we receive any consistent complaints from other viewers.

This indicates that the issue wasn't on our end as a problem with how we upload/encode the event would be seen by every member watching the stream, rather than a single viewer. An error that just affects an individual viewer indicates that the problem is on their end.

The terms and conditions relating to streaming are available to view via the website. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer a refund for this service. I am sorry that your viewing experience was less than satisfactory and I wish we could be more helpful in fixing it. In order to qualify for a refund the issue would need to be on our end and our records indicate that it wasn't.

Kindest Regards,

I don't care about the £9.50 but the disdainful arrogance riles me enough to want to take it further if I can discover the right authority to complain to.
I got the exact same response when experiencing issues watching - or trying to watch - a game at the back end of last season. I also had the exact same issues others had described here when trying to watch your game last night (I'm a Saints fan looking forward to hosting you again at Clarence Park on Saturday) so not a one off. Last year I had to reply and request an escalation to get an actual human to reply....
swindon gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: benners

Post by swindon gull »

Was the same for me re streaming. Froze just as the cross went over for 1st goal and froze before we scored the 2nd amongst numerous times it froze. So it has to b there end with the problem. Also got a few seconds of another match taking place before it reverted back to the Torquay game.

A wins and win and getting the 3 points was all that mattered last night just hope they can take that into Saturday and another win. Think whoever wins the 50/50 draw next will getting a game with the amount of injuries we seem to be getting
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

I’ve tweeted StreamAMG on your behalf guys…

https://x.com/torquay_fans/status/16917 ... Byni4VbTaQ
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

BigDave wrote: 16 Aug 2023, 11:49 I had the same issues and received the following response from:

Hi David,

Thanks for the email,

Kindest Regards,

**** unbelievable response. Everyone has had the same issues so how can it not be at their end.