Dover Athletic v Torquay United - 3pm 5th Aug

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Very disappointed - worrying result and performance. First 20 minutes, commentators saying we had much better players than them, not about that though,
Johnson needs to get the mental attitude right very quickly and start winning games, there will be tougher opponents to come than Dover.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

We weren’t outplayed. Went two nil up deservedly, then took foot off the gas and started playing hoofball. They got one back and we just couldn’t get going again.

Centre back needs sorting, not sure Tomlinson is up to it based on today.

Ash should’ve scored two and Jarvis missed a brilliant chance, on another day we win, but wasted our chances.

Lots to be worked on, but it’s game 1.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

A point on the road is never a disgrace, but with all things considered, I'm surprised we didn't win, not sure if the conditions were difficult, always a bit of a leveller, but to be 2up and only come away with a point is frustrating, I still stand by post about pre season results being totally meaningless, it's all about fitness, so I was surprised to read GJ chest thudding when we beat ECFC in a fitness exercise... Anyhow back to today's game, it's a point, we'll take it, still not convinced by this set of players, but perhaps in my pre match prediction I underestimated Dover, they're a work in progress with a new XI but sounds like they deserved a point..
TUFCfan
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by TUFCfan »

portugull wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 17:28 Regan Charles Cook who scored Dovers equaliser was top scorer at Ross County in season 2021/22 in the Scottish Premier League.

How on earth did he end up at Dover via a team in Belgium I have never heard of.
It's not Regan it's his brother Roman, who was released by Sutton this summer after spending last season on loan at Harrow Borough.
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

dawlishmatt wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 17:23 Bruce, don't let this idiot get to you. I believe that they are the same person as Somerset Gull who was banned last season. I have notified administration .
Oh mutt u are sooo wrong as admin would find out..........
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Mistaken identity Dover equaliser was ex Sutton player Roman Charles Cook brother of Regan.

Devon Live report Dover keeper made last minute great save to deny Brad Ash.
Gull1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gull1899 »

Well disappointing not to win, particularly being 2-0 up & I thought this was a team in disarray, who narrowly escaped relegation last season.

It’s obviously only the first game, so at least we didn’t lose & was away from home.

However Biggest worry for me is that it doesn’t matter what league we’re in, apparently we just can’t stop leaking goals . We won’t win the league if this is a sign of things to come- we need to address CB ASAP or it’ll be play offs at best
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Can we keep the Matchday thread clean please chaps. I've got much more serious things to spend my time on at the moment.

Thanks.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
dagglebert
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by dagglebert »

Too early to panic, but a disappointing result in all the circumstances. I hope we can still strengthen the defense with an experienced CB, or promising loan. I hope Moxey and Martin will soon be fit enough to play 90 mins; that would in itself help, and might allow Donellan to play as a defensive midfielder. He gave away a lot of goals last year when playing at the back.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Not quite the banana skin I thought might happen - but very nearly! Having moved from Bude to Canterbury fairly recently, Dover's ground is easy to get to from my new home, so no excuse for not attending the Gulls' first match of the new season. For the first 20 minutes Torquay played like champions-elect, and Brad Ash should really have scored before Asa Hall's goal. Then strangely we started to sit back and allow Dover into the game - and they took full opportunity, deservedly scoring before half time. For most of the second half Torquay were on the back foot, repelling wave after wave of Dover attacks unti the home side finally levelled late on. Brad Ash should have scored the winner in the final minute but for a 'worldie' save from the home 'keeper. I have to say that Torquay were not very good for most of the match, constantly misplacing passes and failing to win the ball back. I never had confidence that our back line could defend properly, until Dan Martin came on and showed them how to do it! Full credit to young Jenkins-Davis who I thought was excellent throughout, but we do need a strong centre half and an extra striker who can take the pressure off Jarvis. Donnellan was OK at the back but he is not a centre half. As Yazz sang back in the '80's 'The Only Way Is Up' and it's only the first match of the season. Well done the Yellow Army who turned up in force in spite of the atrocious conditions and made a great noise throughout - safe journey back everybody.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I should also praise Dover's ground and staff - the pitch was immaculate and all the spectators were covered so nobody got soaked. The staff were unfailingly poilte and helpful. It all reminded me of Plainmoor 30-40 years ago. You could pay by cash or card at the gate and they let my little grandaughter in free - she now supports Torquay and Dover! It was certainly not the 'tinpot' experience I was expecting from some posts on here and other sites.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Early days, does anyone expect Truro still to be top come next May?
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

Barring the first 20 minutes on the pitch, that was a horrible away trip.

Dreadful conditions driving down - the last 10 miles or so I was just presuming the match would be called off so bad was the surface water and flooding - credit to the Dover pitch as it held up remarkably well.

No segregation so the couple of hundred or so Gulls were split either end of the ground, most congregating in the area previously used as the away end. Some unpleasant exchanges when the Dover youth came down to that end following the choice of ends. The Gulls fans in general wanted nothing to do with any trouble and moved away, other than one fella who stayed for a bit of banter, pretty much on his own. I think he was just standing his ground rather than being aggressive, but he appeared pissed up and his presence was clearly winding them up and he had outstayed his welcome. If he was with friends then they should have dragged him away as it was only going to end in him either being punched or chucked out by the Police - I think luckily for him it was the Police who moved him away - it may have looked a bit heavy handed, but he was asking to be smacked and then resisted the Police. In fairness to the Police they asked a couple of Torquay fans if they could calm him down. They couldn’t. Hopefully, he just got chucked out. Either way, we are going to have to get used to no segregation.

Anyway, on to the game - as most have stated, first 20 minutes, all good. Two up and Ash had hit the post too. We were cutting through them. The second goal was a good move and a decent finish by Hall and it was a question of how many , surely?
That’s probably what the players thought as we stopped playing. Dover had several chances and it was no surprise when they scored. The ball seemed to ping around and we had several opportunities to clear the danger. Very frustrating. I had hoped this would ensure that they were given the appropriate rocket at half time, but if they were then it didn’t show. Conditions worsened and so did we - the were out muscled and out played and they equalised with about 20 minutes left. Again, we had opportunities to clear and didn’t take them. Dover pretty much seemed to settle for the draw, started time wasting and we came back into it. Both Jarvis and Ash could and should have scored, but fluffed their chances.

No need to panic, but can’t deny that this was somewhat deflating. The conditions were abysmal and a draw away from home isn’t a disaster. I’m ambivalent towards Johnson rather than being particularly pro or anti. On today’s evidence alone, I worry that we haven’t learned any lessons from last season - limited options to change anything offensively during a match, a midfield lacking in pace and trying to put square pegs in round holes in turning wingers or midfielders into wig backs. We loook vulnerable all match down our right flank. The hoof ball that we played for the last hour was abysmal quality, but in fairness one could blame the conditions. I didn’t see any particular evidence that one side was full time in terms of fitness. It is fair to say that we were the side pushing for a winner towards the end of the match, but in doing so we lost our shape and it didn’t appear that there was any plan other than to lump it forward - we had a corner in the closing minute and nobody seemed to know who was going to take it - ended up being the nearest person to the ball.

I sense that there isn’t an awful lot of good will left in the tank for GJ. This performance will add ammunition to those who say he is a dinosaur and football has moved on. Reports from pre-season games against City and Argyle suggest otherwise, but a couple of these performances at home and things could turn toxic. Hopefully, this one was down to the conditions and complacency. Very frustrating though.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Enzo wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 20:32 Barring the first 20 minutes on the pitch, that was a horrible away trip.

Dreadful conditions driving down - the last 10 miles or so I was just presuming the match would be called off so bad was the surface water and flooding - credit to the Dover pitch as it held up remarkably well.

No segregation so the couple of hundred or so Gulls were split either end of the ground, most congregating in the area previously used as the away end. Some unpleasant exchanges when the Dover youth came down to that end following the choice of ends. The Gulls fans in general wanted nothing to do with any trouble and moved away, other than one fella who stayed for a bit of banter, pretty much on his own. I think he was just standing his ground rather than being aggressive, but he appeared pissed up and his presence was clearly winding them up and he had outstayed his welcome. If he was with friends then they should have dragged him away as it was only going to end in him either being punched or chucked out by the Police - I think luckily for him it was the Police who moved him away - it may have looked a bit heavy handed, but he was asking to be smacked and then resisted the Police. In fairness to the Police they asked a couple of Torquay fans if they could calm him down. They couldn’t. Hopefully, he just got chucked out. Either way, we are going to have to get used to no segregation.

Anyway, on to the game - as most have stated, first 20 minutes, all good. Two up and Ash had hit the post too. We were cutting through them. The second goal was a good move and a decent finish by Hall and it was a question of how many , surely?
That’s probably what the players thought as we stopped playing. Dover had several chances and it was no surprise when they scored. The ball seemed to ping around and we had several opportunities to clear the danger. Very frustrating. I had hoped this would ensure that they were given the appropriate rocket at half time, but if they were then it didn’t show. Conditions worsened and so did we - the were out muscled and out played and they equalised with about 20 minutes left. Again, we had opportunities to clear and didn’t take them. Dover pretty much seemed to settle for the draw, started time wasting and we came back into it. Both Jarvis and Ash could and should have scored, but fluffed their chances.

No need to panic, but can’t deny that this was somewhat deflating. The conditions were abysmal and a draw away from home isn’t a disaster. I’m ambivalent towards Johnson rather than being particularly pro or anti. On today’s evidence alone, I worry that we haven’t learned any lessons from last season - limited options to change anything offensively during a match, a midfield lacking in pace and trying to put square pegs in round holes in turning wingers or midfielders into wig backs. We loook vulnerable all match down our right flank. The hoof ball that we played for the last hour was abysmal quality, but in fairness one could blame the conditions. I didn’t see any particular evidence that one side was full time in terms of fitness. It is fair to say that we were the side pushing for a winner towards the end of the match, but in doing so we lost our shape and it didn’t appear that there was any plan other than to lump it forward - we had a corner in the closing minute and nobody seemed to know who was going to take it - ended up being the nearest person to the ball.

I sense that there isn’t an awful lot of good will left in the tank for GJ. This performance will add ammunition to those who say he is a dinosaur and football has moved on. Reports from pre-season games against City and Argyle suggest otherwise, but a couple of these performances at home and things could turn toxic. Hopefully, this one was down to the conditions and complacency. Very frustrating though.
Good summary of the afternoon. Who knows why we fell off as bad as we did - has to be complacency? We really miss Dawson in the centre of midfield, the sooner he is back the better, but I fear it’s a long way off.

Dover youth were an embarrassment.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes very good report and summing up Enzo.