Dover Athletic v Torquay United - 3pm 5th Aug

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AdrianC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Myers
Watches from: Pop side

Post by AdrianC »

We looked decent early on and Dover were either poor or made to look it.... 2-0 up and we hit the post / had it cleared off the line ( I was up the other end) which could have made it 3-0, that would have probably killed the game. Dover to be fair didn’t give up and got themselves back in to it, fortunately at least we took a point!

Jarvis is a big lad but he’s going to be up against big lads every week, so please stop continually banging long balls up the park, he can’t / won’t win them all. As has been mentioned, it was a very good surface, so play it on the surface!

McGavin....that was a fairly invisible performance wasn’t it!

The late chances from Jarvis and Ash, well one needs to go in, at least the latter hit the target making the keeper save it, but believe me the save was a save that any keeper at this level should make, definitely not a worldy!
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

I agree with the majority of the comments from those who were at the game. Good start rubbish finish !

Fair play to Dover for a thrown together squad they ran their socks off, out muscled us at times and deserved the draw.

We need a decent CB as Donnellan is not the answer and is a liability. McGavin produced another inept performance as well.

A 4/10 performance I feel and lessons needed to be learnt and quick. On the upside finding a local establishment not too far from the ground with a Sat happy hour from 11 to 1 was a bonus

Let’s see where we are at the end of August before the moaning starts ……
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Skillsy »

Enzo,
Very fair report, and I agree with pretty much all you said. After twenty minutes it looked very much like a six or seven goal win. I suspect complacency set in, and once Dover scored it was hard to regain the initial spark. Dover lacked quality but had plenty of heart and strength. Torquay have the quality, but were outfought for the last seventy minutes. Have rarely seen so many misplaced passes, hopefully that was caused by the conditions. Jarvis is a real threat, but at times is more concerned with playing the man than the ball.....by comparison, Shearer became like this at the end of his Newcastle career. Dillon didn't do much when he came on, he looks a bit weak, but probably too early to judge given he's only just returned. I think Ash needs to play closer to Jarvis, several times they were too far apart. Donnellan did ok, but I'm not sure where his best position is and he doesn't look comfortable on the ball. Resolute defender, though. Quality of set pieces was poor, particularly corners.
All in all, a disappointing result. Far too early to be despondent, though.
Forza Torquay!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

From the managers post match interview it seems nothing has changed from last season.
Utterly depressing to read about us being out fought and outmuscled.
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

desperado wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 08:20 From the managers post match interview it seems nothing has changed from last season.
Utterly depressing to read about us being out fought and outmuscled.
Very poor and nothing has changed with the interview.
Only difference is this is a lower grade of football.
We need a no nonsense centre back before Saturday , must have.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

We simply can not be talking about complacency, we had enough experience in terms of captain Asa Hall and manager Gary Johnson to spot that and elicit a reaction from those guilty.

What was telling for me, is the fact the two Dover commentators of 40 odd years didn't know who some of the players taking the field for them were, nor could they predict what formation they'd likely to set up with , which suggests their team had, had little or no time together on the training pitch , whilst giving the upmost respect to our fans opinions who were at the game, even listening on the radio you could get more than a fair understanding Dover's thrown together side had dominated the midfield for a period prior to half time and large portions of the second half.

Yes it's the first game, we can't judge, or take too much from this, but the apparent facts from yesterday performance are a concern. Of course every team that wins their respective divisional championships has set backs along the way, but what they all have is very high standards that are set from minute 1 of pre-season, they have a dogged determination not to fall below those standards , won't accept it when they do, and will always react.

Two of our next three games as already stated are against teams that were in last seasons NLS play-offs, all three teams will have more togetherness than Dover, will be better organised from the start and well drilled, our squad clearly fell below the required standards yesterday.

So now it's time for the reaction, to show our mental toughness, and dogged determination.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Maybe we cant judge but looking at the blindingly obvious we paraded three centre backs in Craske, Tomlinson and Donnellan. The former 2 are massively short of any experience whatsoever. Yet again we have no back striker on the bench. A midfield of Mcgavin, Hall and Lapslie a desperately short of any legs.

We could do with somebody like Keiron Evans in midfield - someone who can take the game to the opposition. I thought the line up looked a bit weak before the game and it looks like that was the case. It seems that we were out muscled by the reports with is worrying.

We need a couple of really decent loan signings to plug the gaps in the squad ie one bruiser at the back and a back up striker. Our line up looked mid table at best unfortunately yesterday.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

A lot of harsh criticism on here for a team unbeaten away this season.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

It is always good to hear first hand reports from an away game especially when the radio commentary is local, oddly those attendees and the radio were basically identical, Johnsns post match was the same old drivel not so much for his replies but from the trite questions he was asked, I would have opened with ,"why were you outplayed for nearly three quarters of the game by a part time team, five of which are on weekly contracts just to make up numbers and the two centre backs only met the day before". Although he seemed to be very annoyed by our performance it was also very clear he had no one on the bench to alter things, (where have we seen that before).
As to the weather, it has no bearing when used as an excuse, when one team can deal with it and one couldn't it indicates, one is a group of workers and the other already believe the hype that they are potential champions and just have to turn up to win.
On paper we have a squad of 20, the likes of crowe , marshall and Hanson would struggle to make our reserve team if we possessed such a thing, dawson several months away, martin cannot manage more than 20 minutes, Hall and Moxey if we get half a season of games out of them we consider ourselves fortunate, Donnellan and Mcgavin if they get roasted again next saturday will be shot of confidence just like last season when they were asked to do a job they weren't equiped for. We need some experience in the back four and we need a striker and hope our opposition do not see how easy it was for Dover to play over and through us.
But it is only the first game, we cannot possibly play that badly again, can we.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

brucie wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 10:44 Maybe we cant judge but looking at the blindingly obvious we paraded three centre backs in Craske, Tomlinson and Donnellan. The former 2 are massively short of any experience whatsoever. Yet again we have no back striker on the bench. A midfield of Mcgavin, Hall and Lapslie a desperately short of any legs.

We could do with somebody like Keiron Evans in midfield - someone who can take the game to the opposition. I thought the line up looked a bit weak before the game and it looks like that was the case. It seems that we were out muscled by the reports with is worrying.

We need a couple of really decent loan signings to plug the gaps in the squad ie one bruiser at the back and a back up striker. Our line up looked mid table at best unfortunately yesterday.
Missing Stobbs, and that balance on the right hand side. WJD looks a good player but not at right back, where they were getting in behind.

Dawson gives us legs in midfield, if he’s not back soon we need to plug that gap. Hanson can’t get a kick, so what’s the point him being here? Same goes to Crowe - where was he yesterday?

Centre back is the key position, for me. Tomlinson did ok, but alongside Donnellan it’s a recipe for disaster. Need a player like Nico Lawrence or just a kick it head it centre half who isn’t slow.

I’d take heart the first 20 mins - first to every ball and they couldn’t live with the combinations, but deary me, games are 90+ minutes long. Lessons to be learned.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Football is all about perspective. Only two teams took a point away from home yesterday. So for a bonus point the number of away teams that took all 3 points yesterday were?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

I see McGavin was taken off after 55 minutes.
How many more chances is the bloke going to be given ? He's never going to change, there simply isn't enough legs in midfield with him and Hall .Relegated in his first full season at Kings Lynn, relegated in his second season at Torquay . Dawson is such a massive loss.
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

Funnily enough we looked worse when Mcgavin was subbed off, he at least seems keen to actually play the ball on the floor
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Look its completely pointless and idotic to say we got a bonus point yesterday -Johnson wont stop banging on about how good we are in the psf's.

We were 2-0 up against a team of strangers who couldnt seem to kick a ball for the first 20 minutes. To surrender abjectly after that was pathetic - its not a point won its piss poor in the cicrcumstances. Listening to the commnentary we seemed to be completely pumelled after the first 20 minutes.

You would have think we could have regrouped at half time and come out fighting in the second half but a minute into the second half they had hit the bar. Same old story, not enough fit players to fill the nbench, clearly Moxey wasnt even fit enbough to play more than 5 minutes. Dawson doing a good impression of Andrew Nelson, Stobbs injured, Marshall unfit and it was raining so plenty of excuses for Johnson to trot out them.

His asertion that Dover were "athletic" isnt good enough. Thats something we are clearly not.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

We get a point at Dover and Brucie is on here publicly decapitating players. Bideford Town is a much better fit for you isn’t it? I am sure they are in desperate need of your type of wisdom.