Pre-Season Friendlies

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

It has to be us or Yeovil, the games we face each other will be massive. Hoping that this time around we can get the upper hand . And Big Frank does not come back to haunt us.
Injuries and game management will be crucial
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

DevonBee wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 06:47 It has to be us or Yeovil, the games we face each other will be massive. Hoping that this time around we can get the upper hand . And Big Frank does not come back to haunt us.
Injuries and game management will be crucial
It will certainly be one of the four full time clubs in this league who will win and very probably one of them to win the play off too. Being full time is a big advantage in a part time league.
Last time in this league we made a slow start but were able to claw our way back into it as the only full time side in the league. This time a poor start could be calamitous.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

We all have an opinion on our manager, based I would hope on watching his teams over a number of seasons, when purely negative postings are made on this forum, they still win the day when the replies are personal attacks more akin to the playground than grown adults, by all means negate those comments as strongly as you like but base them on fact and observation .
If as we all hope and assume this upcoming season will bring promotion will this reflect as a positive on him , in context it was our manager and him alone who put us in this position, you cannot blame the anti christ, Osborne, it was not him that seemingly signed anyone that turned up for a trial last summer and some onstupidly lengthy contracts who after a full season still cannot achieve more than make up the numbers at midweek training, you do not need to be have watched every game for the last decade or be a season ticket holder to realise the bulk of the en masse signings were and still are not up to the job , well not even at this level.nd no matter how much training they get they will never be footballers.
On balance, for this club in this position Johnson is as good as it gets, but he makes mistakes and at times big ones, continual growth is a sign of imrpovement, not see sawing up and down.
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

And its been going on for months and months. Some people just dunno when to shut up!! Its a new season. The ref at ashton gate got to take some blame!! But the anti johnson brigade will still bang on. Its all they live for
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Hopefully it will only be a couple of teams fighting it out to go up. You have to expect one of the favourites will have a bad season and an unexpected team to have a great season.

Will Yeovil gell quickly enough, will we get injuries/suspensions? If we did have any of the first 11 out for a time then we will look a poorer side. Think more than one or two from Dawson, Hall, Lapslie or Moxey being out for anywhere between 10 and 25 games in a season (as has happened) will affect us. Hopefully up front we could cope with one injury or a loss of form with Collins able to step in.

Hopefully this season easier than expected, with only complacency to hinder us over the long run. With the building blocks there to kick on from. A long stay in this division would be devastating to our already precarious future.

They'll be a few teams that you think will make strong starts, and then tail away. Not us please!

Agreed, if the first 10 results are poorish, the pressure ramps up. Also sure Johnson said he judges the team after 10 games, not for us judge him. Although of course we do.

As for the same old names commenting on here, while Johnsons here, they'll never change.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

teddiebear wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 12:16 And its been going on for months and months. Some people just dunno when to shut up!! Its a new season. The ref at ashton gate got to take some blame!! But the anti johnson brigade will still bang on. Its all they live for
Yawn
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

And another one!!
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

On the bright side at least we thrashed Exeter!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This is an open forum, we shouldn't never find ourselves in a situation where by members are being advised to shut up and go away, and I mean never. We all all have the right to either ignore expressed opinions or counter them with your own argument, if you have to resort to 'put downs' always a sure fire way of telling the members concerned don't have an argument of their own.

In my own opinion, TUFC has reached a crossroads in it's history, not sure this has sunk in with some yet, TUFC may have one chance, one season to repair the unnecessary damage done by last seasons totally avoidable relegation, failure to make an instant return to the NLP, could see competing in tier 5 in the future become a pipe dream, and thoughts of ever returning to the EFL done for good.

It's thanks to a number of people at our club on and off the field stealing wage, for 18 months or more, of course there is time for all of them to turn the tide in their favour, and get every fan, every member of this forum back on side, but there is no more room for mistakes, miss judgment, what ever you want to call it, we as a club have to nail it, first time every time during the forth coming season.

Right to get this thread back on topic during the final hours before the new season starts for real . I went to the Plymouth and Southampton P.S.F'S and whilst we will all agree there's been some encouraging signs during pre-season, it's also highlighted a few things for me, the club does have some players who are a cut above this level in Jarvis, Ash, Collins, Stobbs, Lapslie etc, but our squad as a whole looks to weak to sustain a title challenge through out the entire season, so can see us having a strong team through out, if injuries can be avoided, and suspensions kept to a minimum.

Also highlighted for me, the club may have wasted a huge wedge of budget on Hall, never doubting his service to our club and football, but he simply doesn't have the legs or mobility for a full season, there are games where we'll get away with it, there will be games where the team will not, can only hope GJ picks and choses the times play him.
Formerly known as forevertufc
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 21:06 But being FT and having the players we had the NLS title was a given...
We were somewhere like 15th after 10 games when Johnson came in during that season, weren't we? I don't recall the exact number of point, but I think it was something like 12 points? To get the points tally we did that season was almost miraculous, even if it was probably the level we should have been playing at from the start. So - not exactly 'a given'.

I get it, you don't lke Johnson, but again and again in the past few seasons the Johnson detractors have been asked to suggest somebody to replace him, and it never happens. It's a verifiable fact that several of the players we currently have, and have had in the past, would not have ever shown up at Plainmoor were it not for Gary Johnson. In many ways he is an old school manager, but I'd rather have him for this season - a season where it's imperative that we bounce back up - than taking a chance on somebody who may or not may be any good.

Looking at the first 6 fixtures; all should be winnable. It seems unfair to expect us to win all 6 (teams will probably set up to defend against us) but anything fewer than 14 points would, in my view, be a failure of sorts. That should be when a conversation about finding someone else would be had, although again, I don't know who that would be, and neither does anybody else.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Dave wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 16:42 This is an open forum, we shouldn't never find ourselves in a situation where by members are being advised to shut up and go away, and I mean never. We all all have the right to either ignore expressed opinions or counter them with your own argument, if you have to resort to 'put downs' always a sure fire way of telling the members concerned don't have an argument of their own.

In my own opinion, TUFC has reached a crossroads in it's history, not sure this has sunk in with some yet, TUFC may have one chance, one season to repair the unnecessary damage done by last seasons totally avoidable relegation, failure to make an instant return to the NLP, could see competing in tier 5 in the future become a pipe dream, and thoughts of ever returning to the EFL done for good.

It's thanks to a number of people at our club on and off the field stealing wage, for 18 months or more, of course there is time for all of them to turn the tide in their favour, and get every fan, every member of this forum back on side, but there is no more room for mistakes, miss judgment, what ever you want to call it, we as a club have to nail it, first time every time during the forth coming season.

Right to get this thread back on topic during the final hours before the new season starts for real . I went to the Plymouth and Southampton P.S.F'S and whilst we will all agree there's been some encouraging signs during pre-season, it's also highlighted a few things for me, the club does have some players who are a cut above this level in Jarvis, Ash, Collins, Stobbs, Lapslie etc, but our squad as a whole looks to weak to sustain a title challenge through out the entire season, so can see us having a strong team through out, if injuries can be avoided, and suspensions kept to a minimum.

Also highlighted for me, the club may have wasted a huge wedge of budget on Hall, never doubting his service to our club and football, but he simply doesn't have the legs or mobility for a full season, there are games where we'll get away with it, there will be games where the team will not, can only hope GJ picks and choses the times play him.
Well said, game management is crucial. The Dad’s Army brigade need to be rested for the Astro games.
Hall is a worry and with Dawson out the thought of Hanson and McGavin stepping in is a huge concern .
Neither have cut it in the NL , so let’s see if they can perform at this level of football.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

It's gonna be a great season. Good luck GJ and the team!
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Oh, and I agree with Teddy.
Hereford Gull66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by Hereford Gull66 »

Season 2022-23
—————————-

Got
——
It

I drew a line under last season, and got over it.

Listen I got over 1967-68 season, so now let’s get ready for the ride and return stronger, this could be very enjoyable…………

coyy
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 21:14 There's only one person getting lambasted and unfairly ridiculed on a daily basis while his detractors belittle his achievements and standing in the game.
That was the defence you used to offer Kevin Nicholson but it didnt stop you lambasting his successor Gary Owers or your puerile fat shaming jokes about Geoff Harrop. Your nothing but a hypocrite.