Torquay United v Wrexham Sat 29 April KO 5.30pm.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Jpr wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 09:27 It was a lack of quality Players, Not Lady Luck. Or injuries, oR the Refs, it was players you brought in. Please Get players in for next season let us know on the signings as they happen not drip feed us and make it a stage show of the price was right. And that’s all we could afford.
Mike Bassett not required then ? ….oh he is already here 🤣🤣
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

On the attendance, I suspect -

The club were told to cut capacity by the police (Safety Advisory Group).
Some season ticket holders didn't show up.
Some people bought tickets but didn't come as they thought we were already relegated or there might be trouble.
There were empty seats in the Wrexham section. Either a few didn't come as they'd won the league or they preferred to stand so went on the terrace - which looked well below capacity suggesting the allocation was reduced. 1600 away fans was stated a while ago but only 1200 and something was announced.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

😆😆😆, I actually thought GJ sounded like Mike Bassett, when Mike was going to quit in the press conference, but much to the dismay
of everyone, he talks himself into staying!!,
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

This was the best match of a traumatic season for the Club we all love.

A cracking game of football in a stadium that had the best atmosphere of the season by a distance.

I was very proud of my team who put on an unbelievably good performance against the Champions. When we scored I looked at the away end and you could have heard a pin drop. They were stunned.

The Wrexham Manager told Gary we were the best team they had played this season.

Wrexham were very good moving the ball quickly but Mark Halstead was brilliant in the first 20 minutes in particular. Great penalty save. Kevin Dawson was outstanding the whole game.

Any body who did not enjoy this game is not a true football fan. Brilliant game.
The Eternal Optimist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by The Eternal Optimist »

In spite of all the negative, critical and sometimes nasty comments on this platform in recent months, the fans during the match yesterday supported the team 100 per cent, and at the end of the game gave incredible applause to the club, officials and management. No chants of 'Johnson out' at all. Very few left the stadium whilst the club officials and players did their lap of honour.
The last seven or so games show it can be done - with Johnson as manager - and if we can keep this team, or the majority of them together, we should do well next season. All true fans should now show their colours and support our team to success next season.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I believe like most things the mist of time clouds our recollections, yes, we have had better playerss in the past but not amounting to a better team, was this the worst torquay team I have ever seen ,No, but it matters not, we are where we are. On Johnson ,still conflicted on whether its a good thing he is staying, perhaps the conference south is now his level, what does annoy me in the continuing saga of keeping us in the dark.In his press match at the end of last week he stated he would like to stay, judging by his post match last night that decision had already been made earlier in the week. Also, did I miss that niall thompson had been according to his Linkedin profile our strength and conditioning coach for the last four months, Any more back room staff and they will out number the players.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Just watched the interview ……..wow, what a text book review of an overall poor managerial performance by the underperforming employee. Focus on the last 25% of my year’s achievements which were good, make minimal comment about my performance for 75% of the review period, then only to point out “it wasn’t my fault….just look how good I was just before this review “. Standard deflection technique 🙄
If you honestly are prepared to give 100% for the next review period, how about showing that commitment by moving to Torquay from Bristol so you can actually be here 100% of the time !!!
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Rather strange if Johnson stays. This is not a recipe for optimism but rank bad decision making by the owners of the Club.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

What on earth is the relevance of what Parkinson said to Johnson. Complete nonsense.

Cannot see how anyone could enjoy a game when our relegation was confirmed. The game was a pre season kickabout for Wrexham.

How on earth our we going to keep this team together? Most of our decent players dont belong to us for starters.

Johnson sounded almost elated during his after match interview - hardly surprising seeing as he's somehow escaped with his job. Apparently according to him we got relegated because of bad luck. He's in denial as usual.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Spot on Brucie, what "Parky" as GJ calls him said is PR nonsense, it means nothing, not a thing, Wrexham have probably been "on it" most of the week, yesterday was a stroll for them, their job was achieved last week, I did also sense GJ was quietly happy, all he wanted to bring up was his "play off form" crap, not the previous 38 games, or the Chesterfield game when they could of got 10, Halstead again our MOTM in that game!, I recently praised GJ for not hanging the players out to dry, and protecting them, but bloody hell, he must have balls the size of cantaloupes to blame this relagation on "bad luck" and ref decisions....100% in DENIAL and his ego is way to big, never owns up to HIS errors, arrogant.
Wrexham Supporter
Trialist
Trialist
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Wrexham Supporter »

Departing this forum wishing you all the best in the National League South. Enjoyed yesterdays game . Thought you played well and we were suffering a bit from the celebrations after last Saturday. Your goalie was your man of the match. On the subject of the attendance contrary to popular opinion we only got 1300 or so tickets and there were thousands more forced to watch it down at the Marina or on what has been reported as the worst National League TV coverage we have had this season. Luke Young didn't get his farewell appearance but was in the Bristows stand with the family to enjoy our festivities .Osborne needs to rethink keeping your manager on for next season .
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Lots of sense being spoken on here even by a Wrexham fan.
The 50% brigade that still want Johnson to f… up another season need to be wiping the brown stuff from their eyes.
Why are we happy with a relegation failure who has taken us back to where he started. I really do not get it ?
Any other employer in any other field he would have been fired.🙄🤬
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

DevonBee wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 15:05 Lots of sense being spoken on here even by a Wrexham fan.
The 50% brigade that still want Johnson to f… up another season need to be wiping the brown stuff from their eyes.
Why are we happy with a relegation failure who has taken us back to where he started. I really do not get it ?
Any other employer in any other field he would have been fired.🙄🤬
Bored of the overlaboured point now of GJ staying or not. He is staying so get your season ticket or don't. Whinging on here won't change anything so make your choice. I imagine there will be lots of tough talking about how people definitely won't go next season but live with it and pay up, shut up, pick another team or do something else with your Saturday afternoons.
New topics please.
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Gives somersets groupies summit to say
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

teddiebear wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 15:18 Gives somersets groupies summit to say
:lol:
There's just no point in carrying on looking towards last season. Onwards to the next. Remember the season tickets are now on sale.