Altrincham v Torquay United, 3pm, Saturday 22nd April 2023

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

brucie wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 17:11 Its got nothing to do with goal difference. FFS ignore the Chesterfield game, our form over the last few weeks has been good.

The opportunity to get out of this was there. Unfortunate;y we gave away so many points. Losing to the likes of Southend, Dagenham and Wealdstone at home and Dorking away. There was enough opportunity just in those games to get the points to have seen us easily safe.

A total waste.
I agree completely.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Never been in the Gary out Brigade but he has to now take the responsibility & do the honourable thing. There will be plenty of candidates with fresh ideas to take TQY on.

Downes too.
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

It seems from reviewing the posts that good players don’t want to come to the remote outpost of Torquay, preferring to stay up North or in London. I don’t see a fix to that. There’s a lot of smart people on this forum. I’m all ears as to how we fix that systemic problem

I’m heartbroken by todays result. How far we have fallen
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Colorado wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 17:36 It seems from reviewing the posts that good players don’t want to come to the remote outpost of Torquay, preferring to stay up North or in London. I don’t see a fix to that. There’s a lot of smart people on this forum. I’m all ears as to how we fix that systemic problem

I’m heartbroken by todays result. How far we have fallen

That's been the story of TUFC for the last 25 years, perhaps even more (bar the Rowe/Boyce years).
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Admiral wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 17:06 I certainly won’t be bothering next week now! That’s what you get for kickstarting your season in March. Gutted
Do I really want to go and watch us lose again in front of a bunch of arrogant jumped up Welsh wankers singing our demise through the 90 minutes and then watch them take the trophy they literally purchased, and on our hallowed turf. **** no.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

From virtually day one, this season has been complete bollox - we need a massive clear out but don’t feel over assured that a challenging squad (even for National League South) can be assembled. So long Gary but not with a lot of thanks quite frankly.
Brixham63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Brixham63 »

Barrow are the way to go. Training ground in Manchester…covers a huge area. Move the training ground to Bristol…M5 M4 links. Cardiff Bizzle Swindon Reading South Birmingham all less tan about hour away..radical but we can’t keep failing the same way. The fact we were a penalty kick away from Lg2 last season was miraculous…we can’t punch above our weight consistently. Any manager will struggle to recruit unless we pay League wages which we can’t. Johnson nearly got us there but look what happened to Hartlepool despite their fan base.
Brixham63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Brixham63 »

….and currently I hate football…
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 17:14 Will GJ stay?
Hopefully not. I think that his "small" budget this season has highlighted deficiencies in his recruitment process. We are asked to believe (by some posters) that he had a restricted budget but cannot see that he spent whatever he had wisely. He appears to be a manger who can do well but needs money to spend.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Last close season I could see no inclination or possibility of relegation to the backwaters of Reginald football. Then I attended the first game of the Season v Oldham. From that final whistle I knew we were in trouble. Having attended most home games and some away relegation is no surprise. In many games I thought we lacked heart, some players seemed happy to come over to the Pop for a clap despite not putting much effort in. Remember previous difficult seasons with players who would die for the club, not many in the current squad looked like that. I will not be easy next season with Yeovil on the verge of a take over and most clubs regarding us as the team to beat. Don't have any answer's but I'm sure the Boy will be dragging me to Plainmoor next season. He loves em!!!
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Absolutely gutted… it took 38 games to get a side worthy together for whatever reason. Who is to blame ?
Make your own minds up…. Osborne , the Brothers Johnson and Downes. The 5 year plan … and here we are like a game of snakes and ladders… back to square one.
It needs a complete overhaul from top to bottom. A clear out of the dross that was signed… I hope the contracts had a relegation clause that says goodbye to the Marquee losers every one of them with the exception of Jarvis who will be gone anyway.
Nice to see a few GJ keep him… making a welcome return tonight. 🙄
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

The first thing to clear up will be staying full time or going part time.

If we stay full time, we need a true two year plan. This to me would include, Gary staying and moving training away from Devon, something I've recommended for a while now. We as a club need to be more proactive, not reactive.

I am sue a George Edwards statement will be issued next Sunday, after the Wrexham game (smile).
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Gloomy Gull wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 18:15 Hopefully not. I think that his "small" budget this season has highlighted deficiencies in his recruitment process. We are asked to believe (by some posters) that he had a restricted budget but cannot see that he spent whatever he had wisely. He appears to be a manger who can do well but needs money to spend.
Small budget… Really ?
I am sure our budget should have been able to compete with many clubs in this league. Johnson is an experienced manager, had he personally thought the budget this season was not competitive … I wish he would have walked and given someone else a chance personally.
He has failed and his recruitment has been found out as has he. Any other club would have sacked him in January…Osborne is lead by the clueless Edwards so I blame him for not acting when he should have.
Eastdevongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Eastdevongull »

Regarding the budget for this season, Mr Osborne has said to me, after contacting him, that:
"There has not been any change to the budgeting, which remains in the higher quartile of the league"

You can draw your own conclusions from that, regarding how recruitment has played out this season.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

Nick Potkins wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 19:34 The first thing to clear up will be staying full time or going part time.

If we stay full time, we need a true two year plan. This to me would include, Gary staying and moving training away from Devon, something I've recommended for a while now. We as a club need to be more proactive, not reactive.

I am sue a George Edwards statement will be issued next Sunday, after the Wrexham game (smile).
I’m sorry I just don’t see how GJ staying can be part of our plan going forward. We need a complete restructure both on and off the pitch. Ultimately the manager is responsible for what happens on the pitch and this season has not been acceptable. We’re poorly coached and tactically naive. The players lack and kind of game management and when compared to other teams in the league, look unfit and physically not up to the task. The managerial change should have happened much earlier in the season. I accepted it wasn’t going to happen but he has now taken us down to part time football. He is now a devise figure amongst the fans and it’s time for change.