Altrincham v Torquay United, 3pm, Saturday 22nd April 2023

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Altrincham v Torquay United, 3pm, Saturday 22nd April 2023

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Dear oh dear.
It's the hope that kills you..... :(
So after lasts night lesson in how to pass and move the play and score goals, we have the slightly easier (on paper) task of having to beat Alty to have any chance of NL football next season.
Such a disappointing game last night and credit to my fellow 143 members of the Yellow Army for being there and supporting the team.
I suppose it depends what team we manage to put out.
Will Asa and Tiger Tom be fit to play?
Really hoping they are as last night there was a massive void in midfield that you could driven a bus down.
No offence to Daws, who tried but obviously couldn't be everywhere and do everything. Also a shout out to Mark Halstead, who kept the score down and had no chance with the goals - despite what some have said on here.....
Basically just need to go for it. F*ck it. Would rather lose 4-0 playing like that than go out with a whimper and lose 1-0.
On the plus side, they can't defend (I know we conceded five last night, but Chesterfield are different league to Alty) have let in quite a few goals.
First goal is key, need to get that and take it from there.
Also need our old friends Barnet to do us a favour. They need a win to stay in fourth and let's face it, if we can beat Maidenhead then surely they can as well......
All in all it's not looking good, but bizarrely there is still a chance.
Making the trip over to the dark side from Yorkshire and I know that there will be several Northern based Gulls there.
Safe travels everyone going and see you there.
Up the Gulls.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Very good post Super, my only hope for saturday and it is just a hope is both hall and lapslie make it is because without them we will be on the back of a hiding, as the altrincham manager my only training for the remainder of the week would be to get the squad to watch the chesterfield game three or four times. The one positive we may take from the altrincham game is that it is a dead game for them with no hope of play off or relegation.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Well, it's sh!t or bust now.... so, despite the fact this game could see us confined to the NLS next season, I'll be making the trip up from Kent for this as there is still that feint glimmer of hope. And, yes, it's the hope that kills you!

Whatever happens on Saturday, it's been a sh!t season that we all want to be over. Whether we'll be playing NL or NLS football next season is out of our hands now and we just need that little bit of luck.... any chance that any of Bryn's great great grandchildren will be in attendance?
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

i see you can get tickets online but do Altrincham offer pay on the gate?
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I just checked the Home Record of Alty this season

10 Wins 4 Draws and 8 Defeats 34 points from 66 points available.

They are beatable but they will be out to win despite having nothing on the line like we have our very survival in the NL being at stake.

What ever happens I predict that within 5 years National League Football will be regionalised
North and South. With all Clubs loosing money it is utter madness Torquay travelling to Gateshead to play in front of 700 spectators which happened last season. Lower League Football has to change the current set up is not sustainable on all counts.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

portugull wrote: 20 Apr 2023, 19:53 I just checked the Home Record of Alty this season

10 Wins 4 Draws and 8 Defeats 34 points from 66 points available.

They are beatable but they will be out to win despite having nothing on the line like we have our very survival in the NL being at stake.

What ever happens I predict that within 5 years National League Football will be regionalised
North and South. With all Clubs loosing money it is utter madness Torquay travelling to Gateshead to play in front of 700 spectators which happened last season. Lower League Football has to change the current set up is not sustainable on all counts.
I can’t see it happening. The NL is effectively a professional league now. Also, I can’t see the EFL having 4 clubs go down to allow for 2 of each league to come up. I would like to see it though, parachute payments stop after League 2 so how are clubs supposed to cope?
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock

Post by torq2u »

Surely our only hope is for Wrexham to go into administration and have 65 points deducted?
Unless we beat Alty 8-0.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Brixham63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Brixham63 »

What to do…do I a drive to Altrincham to see possibly my fourth relegation game over 45 odd years and then drive all the way back wondering if I can stomach the Wrexham game? I told myself it’ll go to the last game needing a win and here we are. There’s no correct answer I know…
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I’m travelling up from Essex. To support the team but also as this may be our last game in the north for some time.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

As much as I would love to see us get that win tomorrow, I just don’t think it will happen. The confidence from the 5 game winning streak will be gone after being hammered midweek. Also, if Hall and Lapslie are out, we are going to be very weak in the middle.

I really do hope I am wrong though.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Now this is huge, Altrincham one of those clubs that probably don't have players we can all name, but they play very good football, on the ground, little bit like Wealdstone, they try and move you out of position, midfield will be important today, Hall, Lapslie and Daws (if all fit and selected) need to use their experience to break up play, and get us on the front foot.. Defensively I worry, esp if Donnellan,Omar, and any other utility player is thrown in, because Altrincham pass and move it well, we need to be switched on, not let players run off of you and chasing shadows, Most teams last "home," game the players are usually up for it, so we need to be aware of that, and start the game well. Really not sure what the result will be, could honestly see it go either way/draw, tricky to predict.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Judgement Day …. A win is a must.
Hope GJ has them up for it ???? At least they will not be asleep after the journey as they have been up here.
No excuses… we should not be in this position in the table, a scruffy 1-0 will do, to give us any chance 🤞
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Oh for Wayne Carlisle on 90 mins.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

We could be level at 5pm or we could be relegated.

York 1-1 Aldershot
Maidenhead 0-4 Barnet
Alty 1-2 Torquay

Massive game as they’ve all been recently. Up the gulls
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

I just hope we win today. Regardless of what happens elsewhere a win will guarantee it goes down to the last game. The Wrexham game is we’re already down would be horrendous