Altrincham v Torquay United, 3pm, Saturday 22nd April 2023

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

notnow wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 17:58 Do I really want to go and watch us lose again in front of a bunch of arrogant jumped up Welsh wankers singing our demise through the 90 minutes and then watch them take the trophy they literally purchased, and on our hallowed turf. **** no.
Totally agree as a season ticket holder, it is now a pointless game. Late kick off , Welsh all pi33ed and a risk of them in the Popside…. No thank u. I have seen enough this season.
Just hope we have a club to support, it will be a very interesting summer.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Each any ever one of us will have a valid reason for our relegation, the bottom line is we got what we deserved out of this season, nothing, If you wish to blame Osborne for his lack of budget why did johnson waste that scant resource and sign so many young players of unproven quality. Or was it osborne's absentee status, he could have been very hands on and managed the club instead of johnson, could he have done any worse than GJ,I would like to say no but it would have been a close run thing.
Is it Johnsons fault, he has been with us for over four years and we are now right back where we started,as the manager he must shoulder the majority of the blame, poor acquisitions, poor tactics, lack of a plan B, at times lack of a plan A.I agree with the many that that there were deep reservations last autumn after our team and rightly so.We changed formation and style of play on a weekly basis and usually dependent on the previous result, he has never been called to account for this and probably never will be, if nothing else changes next season the post match big let off for johnson must cease.
Is it the players fault, forget the loans, hall,moxey, lapslie, dawson and Jarvis the rest never quite did it , the odd game of competant football followd by two of absolute rubbish, I do not blame them over much, you are in and out of the team, played out of your normal position, asked to be a winger and defender in the same game ,you can only play to your ability and sadly the NL was for the majority was above theirs.Would we have stayed up if Hall had played ten more games, I think we might.
So now we await the answer to so many questions on our future playing status, manager and possible players, yet again a continuing summer after summer of disruption, will this sad soap opera that is torquay never end.
eddie6817
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddie6817 »

Very sad day indeed when l saw the result l thought l bet we lost the 2 points down to a goal in the dying minutes and boy was l correct once again how many points did we throw away the same way as we did today total lack of discipline. GJ should have been axed before Christmas the script was already written. See you guys next season hopefully there is one.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

GJ post match interview...."Altrincham scored when we were trying to get the third one for goal difference". Just get the 3 points. Someone correct me but we were well away from a 3-1 win vs a 2-1 win having any significant impact
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Colorado wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 17:36 It seems from reviewing the posts that good players don’t want to come to the remote outpost of Torquay, preferring to stay up North or in London. I don’t see a fix to that. There’s a lot of smart people on this forum. I’m all ears as to how we fix that systemic problem

I’m heartbroken by todays result. How far we have fallen
Football in the local community needs to start up again, from primary schools to secondary schools and then on to park football, Torquay united are loosing so many talented players, and all’s we are left with are the kids from south Devon college that aren’t any good and no one wants but we all ways hear how great they are. Until the Finnish there course at the college.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Agreed Jpr, one problem we would have to have a fully funded youth policy , with proven youth coaches who can firstly spot talent and develop them into potential first team players, something with the system we have has patently failed for many seasons.
The Eternal Optimist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by The Eternal Optimist »

The end of this game was as gut wrenching as the end of the Dagenham game.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

culmstockgull wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 20:34 Each any ever one of us will have a valid reason for our relegation, the bottom line is we got what we deserved out of this season, nothing,
As sure as day follows night and night follows day, every year four teams get relegated from the National League. And we can never just think that because we support our team, they’re safe. It's easy to create a blame culture with negative feeling towards the owner, manager and players when in truth identifying with the club and its fan base is much more important than just winning. Looking forwards as Cassius said to Brutus "It’s not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves". Just saying!
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Chelston TUFC wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 21:03 GJ post match interview...."Altrincham scored when we were trying to get the third one for goal difference". Just get the 3 points. Someone correct me but we were well away from a 3-1 win vs a 2-1 win having any significant impact
Refused to do the BBC interview too

could only handle the "gaffer i love you" questions
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Like I've said previously, for 38 games it was like a giant pre season/experiment that went horrifically wrong, we then find a team,formation and tactics, but with 7 or 8 games to go, it was all to late,I agree with a previous post, to many players had an occasional godd game, but it lulled us fans into a false sense of security, I must sound harsh, but where is Wyatt's,Omar's and Donnellans best positions??, Nobody knows,to many players used, loanees not working out, recipe for disaster this season, a few players were good and I hope they stay or can keep them on, but it needs a huge clear out, huge.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Chelston TUFC wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 21:03 GJ post match interview...."Altrincham scored when we were trying to get the third one for goal difference". Just get the 3 points. Someone correct me but we were well away from a 3-1 win vs a 2-1 win having any significant impact
If that’s the case it’s very poor management.
If we had won goal difference would have only been relevant if we drew with Wrexham and Maidenhead lost by 5 to Gateshead. Another goal for us today and that would have reduced to 4.
However if we’d have held on to the lead then beaten Wrexham we’d have stayed up if one of York or Aldershot had failed to win next week.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

watching the replay did Hall really have to make that challenge?
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Chelston TUFC »

standupsitdown wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 23:00 If that’s the case it’s very poor management.
If we had won goal difference would have only been relevant if we drew with Wrexham and Maidenhead lost by 5 to Gateshead. Another goal for us today and that would have reduced to 4.
However if we’d have held on to the lead then beaten Wrexham we’d have stayed up if one of York or Aldershot had failed to win next week.

On a seperate note there's an interesting apology on the Yeovil Town website from their club director for their relegation.
Last edited by Chelston TUFC on 23 Apr 2023, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Chelston TUFC »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 00:20 watching the replay did Hall really have to make that challenge?
Clumsy at best and a shame after scoring 2 good goals