Torquay Utd v York City - Sat 15th April 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 14:46 Don't recall him picking up a knock and he looked ok on social media yesterday....
Maybe resting him for tuesday at Chesterfield?
Yeah seemed fine after Maidenhead...hope he is back for next game
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by Midlandgull »

3 points! Aldershot won annoyingly, but Maidenhead beaten
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 19:22 Good to see that t'internet is back up in Somerset....... :rofl:
Oh hang on, bet it's down again tonight....... :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Willowgull »

Wow. A couple of weeks ago we would have thrown that away. An outstanding save from Halstead and luck was on our side. Our second goal was probably off side but who cares.

What worried me when we were under the cosh in the last 15 minutes, there was no direction from GJ. We sat deeper and deeper with no outlet up front. I kept my eye on the manager and he clearly didn't know what to do or say. No words of advice and no encouragement as far as I could tell. The players were left to manage the situation themselves. I've been in the keep GJ camp all season and I think that was probably the right decision under the circumstances. But he is clearly drained.
Is it just me or do others feel the same?

But, a massive 3 points. How many more do we need, 2 more wins?
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

What a horrible kit York were wearing today. Worst I've seen at Plainmoor I 🤔
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Willowgull wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 17:52 ........Our second goal was probably off side but who cares........
I was in line with their last man in the build up and I'm fairly sure it wasn't offside, but as you state, who cares, the goal (which was a peach) was given.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Willowgull »

Fair enough. It was a peach though 👍
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Well in reply to united 62 it was anything but boring, we won but could have lost by several, not sure what was going on with the defence first half they were all over the place but I reckon johnson told them to expect one thing and york did the opposite but what ever it was, it was mostly sorted at halftime, Jarvis was superb ,nouble took so many knocks and surprised he lasted as long as he did. Evans is no lapslie and his dynamism was greatly missed in the middle, hope he is back on tuesday, Dawson such a steady player hope we can keep him next season. I agree Johnson looked lost and bereft of any ideas second half other than pack the midfield and defence and hope for the best. no one did us any favours today but we just have to keep winning.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

Did one of their players pick up a red card after the final whistle? Or did I imagine it.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Brewers boy wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 18:32 Did one of their players pick up a red card after the final whistle? Or did I imagine it.
yes correct, their no.16 i think

they were lucky to not get a few more cards, first game for that ref at this level this year - it was clear that was the case!

Hall indicated to the bench he needed to be subbed after pulling up, was holding behind his knee

Need some miracle treatment for Tuesday!

Pure fight and desire today and deservedly won today - im knacked from just watching!
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Don't know what the idea was with the Polce blocking both roads leading to our cars parked at Cary Park. A lot of elderly supporters had to walk a long way round for no apparent reason. Very strange.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well that was a typical National League game but it was certainly not boring!
Jarvis Hat trick MOTM and Player of the Season. Nico Lawrence Young Player of the Season and another excellent performance from the young man.
I suspect there were over 60 free kicks in this game, Jarvis was fouled throughout and Frank Nouble used his strength continually.
Dawson was superb he is a real leader.
We missed Lapslie but both Evans and Collins provided assists for the first 2 goals.
This was a crucial win and we rode our luck at times but 5 wins in a row is very special in this League. Well done the lads.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

culmstockgull wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 18:29 I agree Johnson looked lost and bereft of any ideas second half other than pack the midfield and defence
Find it hard to see how you agree with that statement. What instructions were you expecting 'Tally-Ho' boys this half just go out with a "Gung-Ho' attitude? He was shoring up the defence which as you agree was out of sorts in the latter part of the first half in order to defend our lead. 5 wins on the trot does not indicate a manager bereft of ideas. That said, I still get a feeling you will be of the opinion that none of these wins is down to Johnsons management, although I stand to be corrected.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Willowgull »

Mellow, I agree with Culmstock, GJ did look lost. In the last 10-15 mins we were under real pressure and there was no organisation coming from GJ. Just to pack the defence, anyone can do that. He relied on the players to see it through. Luckily they did but the manager needs to do more.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Hard to pick a man of the match , every player outstanding. There were so many people a few months ago saying that Jarvis couldn't finish. Well the bearded wonders got it all, scores in the six yard box , edge of the penalty area , headers, great hold up play, strong, battles like hell, no slouch either. Well done Gary Johnson for spotting him and having faith in him. Not all his signings come off but Jarvis certainly has.
Shame about Aldershots late winner but The Great Escape is still possible.
Does anyone else get pissed off with Radio Devon ? Half an hour drive home for me and not a mention, all yap and interviews about Exeter v Plymouth which I'd already heard on the way to the game as it finished at 2pm ! Then we have to have it all again at 5 !! I know that Vicary is an Exeter fan but he flogs them to death even in a boring mid table season.