Torquay Utd v York City - Sat 15th April 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Let’s not all start thinking Johnson is the messiah again, it was embarrassing to see the same kids that were calling for his name two weeks ago (after 38 dreadful games) singing GJYA at Maidenhead! Fans are fickle.

But, this isn’t about Johnson in or out, we simply have to get the results and have been recently. fantastic run from the lads. 5/5 was unthinkable, 4/5 pts would do it I think.

Massive win, onto Tuesday (a point would be a good result)
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

SPOT ON Admiral, Johnson isn't the Messiah at all, please someone tell, Johnson surely isn't basking in this is he??, It's bloody amazing, 5 on the spin, superb, and really deserved, nobody saw this coming, nobody at all after Dagenham result, but Johnson did get us into this mess in the first place, be great if he got us out of it, but we should be a mid table side, I'm not trying to sound like Roy Keane, but this season has been awful (bar last 5 games) nobody should really celebrate survival if it happens, if that's the right thing to say, we need to set the bar higher, .it sound harsh, but it's how I feel.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

Does this really have to turn into a debate about GJ again. We have 3 games left and have given ourselves a chance of the greatest escape I’ve ever seen. I fear the future of the club if we go down. We can worry about the future of GJ at the end of the season.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

thebigp1 wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 20:37 Does this really have to turn into a debate about GJ again. We have 3 games left and have given ourselves a chance of the greatest escape I’ve ever seen. I fear the future of the club if we go down. We can worry about the future of GJ at the end of the season.
That’s what I was eluding to, this is bigger than the opinion on the manager, we simply have to stay up and have given ourselves a great chance to do so.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Dont see how anyone can say that was boring game.

I thought we deserved to win it. To the person who said we couldnt hold the ball in the last 15 minutes - well was that a surprise, both Jarvis and Nouble ended up injured.

Sure it was nervy at the end but that was the reason we were under so much pressure. Sadly it looks as though injuries to key players might mean that the dream is over.
Jarvis could hardly move after a heavy fall. Nouble hamstring. Hall - Knee and Collins also went off - not sure if he was injured.

Credit to the players - a fantastic effort today.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Nouble has apparently tweeted he’s fine
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Forest gull wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 21:15 Nouble has apparently tweeted he’s fine
Super Frank Nouble

https://x.com/FrankNouble/status/1647276927789539329
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

desperado wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 19:21 Hard to pick a man of the match , every player outstanding. There were so many people a few months ago saying that Jarvis couldn't finish. Well the bearded wonders got it all, scores in the six yard box , edge of the penalty area , headers, great hold up play, strong, battles like hell, no slouch either. Well done Gary Johnson for spotting him and having faith in him. Not all his signings come off but Jarvis certainly has.
Shame about Aldershots late winner but The Great Escape is still possible.
Does anyone else get pissed off with Radio Devon ? Half an hour drive home for me and not a mention, all yap and interviews about Exeter v Plymouth which I'd already heard on the way to the game as it finished at 2pm ! Then we have to have it all again at 5 !! I know that Vicary is an Exeter fan but he flogs them to death even in a boring mid table season.
So so agree !! I have been ranting about this for years !! The local media doesn't give a flying feck about us never has never will. From the days of Dick Woodacre to Gordon ( how loud can I shout ) Sparkes to bloody Alan fecking Richardson and Natalie Cornah on Spotlight they are always fawning over " Argyle " .......its strange how it reverts to Plymouth Argyle when they lose !!
They have even started calling their manager " shoe ee " FFS !!!

As the studio they use on Saturday is in Exeter we then have to put up with the " City " love in with Vicary and his minions. They just about give us a couple of minutes often cutting short the bloody interview that they do put on air !!
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

And of course Radio Devon and the BBC love Exeter Chiefs. They even played a boring interview with Rob Baxter, rather than providing match reports and post match interviews. I have more time for Argyle and City than the Chiefs. How many chiefs fans even went to the county ground? Just like Wrexham, it's convenient to support a winning team.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Admiral wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 19:42 Let’s not all start thinking Johnson is the messiah again, it was embarrassing to see the same kids that were calling for his name two weeks ago (after 38 dreadful games) singing GJYA at Maidenhead! Fans are fickle.

But, this isn’t about Johnson in or out, we simply have to get the results and have been recently. fantastic run from the lads. 5/5 was unthinkable, 4/5 pts would do it I think.

Massive win, onto Tuesday (a point would be a good result)
He’s not the messiah. He’s a very naughty boy!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Think it's still possible...on paper and will depend on ONE of the other teams down there with us imploding.

Great to see big Frank giving us info as to his injury ...he's a great personality..keeping us in the picture..Just hope he can last for 90+ minutes
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

We’re pinning a lot of our hopes on getting 3 points at Alty, which may be more difficult than we imagine. I think we’ll end up needing something from the Wrexham game which wouldn’t be good for my mental health
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

When it comes to the great Gary Johnson debate, now is NOT the time, what's needed right now is unity, and as much support for our last few match's, not sure even the most optimistic of our fans saw these 5 straight wins coming none of us did, however the point is, there will; be plenty of time for finger pointing after the Wrexham game.

Think it's fair to say, some of us middle aged gits, even the older went through the same range of emotions as the young, looking around the popside, to see all jumping up and down with the teenagers as the team flew into a 2 goal lead, to see the joy, turn into nervousness as we saw York score from looked a very soft free kick, the nerves turned into desperation for the half time whistle as TUFC started to look a little flat.

The half time chatter around the popside was one of agreement, our team had not defended well at times, looking a little panicked, and there would be more goals for York.

So the nerves turned to elation as the penalty, a correct decision no matter how hard done by York might feel, and credit to the referee, Jarvis was clearly pulled backed, honest to try and stay on his feet, when most would have gone down, after being fouled outside the box also, so many referees do not reward honesty..

Once again we saw from the teenagers, to 50 somethings, to those older, shouting and jumping creating a really good atmosphere, but as the game went on, York never gave up, there continued to be moments of panicked defending, and individual decision making that's cost us so dear, how many times did I see a TUFC player with so much time, head the ball beyond our midfield line , giving York easy possession, so whilst great credit to York for battling hard through out, there were times where by, our team made things so much harder for themselves, than it needed to be.

However Halstead's goal would be breached for a second time late on, whilst the hattrick was always going to see Jarvis awarded Motm , there would have been justification for Halstead to have been awarded joint Motm, two saves in this game which enabled the Jarvis hattrick to secure all three points, the first was instinctive of the line, in the second half, all about the technique , from the footwork, to the speed of dive, and the strong hand on that parry, as he dived low down to his right, what a save that was.

So we had the endure five minutes of utter hell, as elation turned once again to nerves, with emotions in a twist, some went quiet, others shouting in desperation for us defend well, and for that converted final whistle, others trying to get chants going, some tell us football fans it's only a game, yesterday proved for so many it's more that just a game.

So finally , the whistle blows, the match has ended, the relief, the joy, we all, knew, no other result but a win would do, so I walked backed up to the Gulls nest, absolutely buzzing, I drove home buzzing, as the clock approached midnight, I still hadn't come down, the temptation for me to, go to Altrincham next week is growing , a feeling I've not had at TUFC for so, so long, just showing how poor we've been for an extended period, yesterday showed the potential at our club is massive, needs the right people in the right places to realise it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

From a neutral point of view I expect that was a cracking spectacle as a non-league game, but from a Torquay fan’s perspective that was absolute torture!

I thought York looked a half decent side to be honest - we looked shaky at times defensively and that is the most uncomfortable I have seen Lawrence look in his time with us - the kid clearly has class so he was able to handle it, but that was a big test. Halstead was on hand when required, but it was very nervy at times.

Our two first half goals had great build up play and were both great finishes from Jarvis. An insightful run and good cross from Evans for the first and great vision and pin point execution from Collins for the second. Collins looks to be growing in confidence game by game and is becoming a real asset - gets through a fair shift defensively too. Looking at the chances in the second half, Jarvis could have easily had six goals yesterday from good creative work from Evans, Collins, Stobbs and Nouble. Lapslie’s absence was apparent and compounded I thought by a slightly jaded Hall. Hopefully, it is not a long term thing for Laps and the knock to Asa is not too serious. Come the end we looked dead on our feet, but hopefully the impact of 5 wins on the bounce will counter that for Tuesday. A word also for Dawson, who has been another real asset and his impact across the team appears far more than his own personal contribution.

No matter how long I look at the table, I still come to the conclusion that we will run out of games and that Wrexham one looks a killer. I hope I am wrong, but it is so frustrating that we have finally hit on something and it is likely to have come a couple of weeks too late to save us.