Scunthorpe United v Torquay United, 3pm, Saturday 1st April, 2023

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Gary Johnson overheard in discussion with Devonlive Podcast team..... "I always said judge me and the team after 38-40 games not 10"!!!!
Gary Johnson Yellow army up up and away we go!!!!
Really who would have thought two away wins in a row! If either game had been lost, we would be gone....... Now we have hope(that kills you)and momentum! Two clean sheets! If we win Friday, can we start believing?. Football you just got to bloody love it....
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 17:29 Surprises me ! With this defeat its only just dawned on some its over!
I threw in the towel and excepted our fate after losing at dorking especially after leading for 5 minutes 2=1.
Sadly we cannot even get a win to prolong the hope!
Our current form is shocking no win in what 7?
We need to be careful we do not do a Weymouth!
Time for a change build for next year!
Minneapolisgull wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 06:26 Gary Johnson Yellow army up up and away we go!!!!
Really who would have thought two away wins in a row! If either game had been lost, we would be gone....... Now we have hope(that kills you)and momentum! Two clean sheets! If we win Friday, can we start believing?. Football you just got to bloody love it....
Clearly a week is a long time in football!

Just an example of the general impact 2 wins in a week can have on this forum, at least we get a few days off from Somersetgull and the moaners.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 20:44 Hold my hands up folks, thought Nouble was a loanee.As for loan signings from the past, I rate Dean Sturridge from years gone by.
Also Matt Elliot
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Win on Friday and we’ll have a great turnout at Maidenhead! I don’t believe we’ll stay up, but it’s just nice that we’re showing some fight and have a slither of a chance.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Also, I didn’t realise that York play Barnet tomorrow, that’s an important one to keep an eye on.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I'm in agreement with Colorado, Scunthorpe are shocking, like I posted yesterday, I listened on radio Humberside, and their commentators couldn't believe how inept they were, 1 upfront, then needing a goal subbing a striker for a striker, they didn't really create anything at all, and seemed very disjointed,yes we did win, but we've beaten a very poor side, I still think Maidenhead away will be very difficult,and if Wrexham need to beat us to win the league, Chesterfield away aswell, it's great to win, but it's to late..I just hope GJ wasn't fist pumping the away fans yesterday?, Hopefully he kept his head down and walked off quietly, he's a major factor as why we are in the brown stuff .
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Well Boreham Wood could hardly be described as woeful so its nonsensical to start moaning because we won yesterday.

Its too late of course but the team is better than its been all season - its just taken too long to get there
sevilla99
New Signing
New Signing

Post by sevilla99 »

culmstockgull wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 18:27 For you statisticians when was the last time we won two in a row, if this continues a new beer to superseed Bryn will be required becuase if we escape it will be nothng short of a miracle, but onward to friday.
Are you really a TUFC supporter ? I am far from convinced that you are !!

Having read your comments over the last few seasons it has become increasingly apparent to me that you derive significant pleasure when the team lose and an unpleasant degree of cynicism and negativity when it wins.

For goodness sake surely the maintenance of our position in the National League and hopefully the eventual recovery of Football League status is what any genuine supporter is focussed on ?

You have consistently criticised Garry Johnson and the other members of the management and scouting team, ignoring the fact that they are operaing under severe financial constraints, combined with the long term problem of attracting players to our beautiful but somewhat isolated county.

I know it will probably be very difficult for you but why not for once get behind Garry and the team -
bringbackthecowshed
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tommy Mitchinson

Post by bringbackthecowshed »

I was there yesterday, just got back home to Paignton, yes Scunthorpe we’re pretty dire but Torquay played with passion and drive, not a fan of loan signings but they played their part and however poor Scunthorpe were, they still had to be beaten and a steward said to me “ you completely outplayed us and deserve the win “ I was resigned to relegation when I left home on Saturday morning, today I think miracles can happen. COYY
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

sevilla99 wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 14:38 Are you really a TUFC supporter ? I am far from convinced that you are !!

Having read your comments over the last few seasons it has become increasingly apparent to me that you derive significant pleasure when the team lose and an unpleasant degree of cynicism and negativity when it wins.
Caring about our club doesn't mean servile acceptance of the dross that has been served up this season
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Football, marvellous isn't it??
Made the short trip from Sunny Barnsley and always felt we had a chance.
After listening (is there any other way with TUFC) nervously to the 2nd half on Tuesday night, I knew we'd win this one.
Came out of the blocks on the front foot had a half chance in the 2nd min which Stobbs couldnt get good contact on but the signs were good.
Was only worried about Barnsley reject Jacob Butterfield in their 11, but didn't give him much opportunity thankfully.
One routine save from MH, but that was about it...
We were the better team in the first half and Asa tested the keeper just before HT.
Second half, came out in the same vein, have to say I wasn't worried about them, they didn't offer anything.
Clearance from their keeper fell to Mox, who hit it straight back, thought he was going to lob the keeper tbh, but with the strong wind behind us in the 2nd half, it landed on the roof of the net.
Then came the goal. It was a lovely crafted goal, ball forward from Asa, Nouble making a nuisance of himself, ball drops to AJ, lovely outside of the boot pass into the path and run of Lewis Collins, gave the goalie the eyes and BANG! 1-0. Fully deserved! :clap:
Still 30mins left and but for a deflected shot that MH did well to get down too, that was it from them.
FT and two on the bounce.
Two excellent clean sheets against differing teams - but you can only beat what's in front of you....
On to Friday - they couldn't could they???
"Popping down" for that one, see you all there.
Up the Gulls.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

sevilla99 wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 14:38 Are you really a TUFC supporter ? I am far from convinced that you are !!

For goodness sake surely the maintenance of our position in the National League and hopefully the eventual recovery of Football League status is what any genuine supporter is focussed on ?

You have consistently criticised Garry Johnson and the other members of the management and scouting team, ignoring the fact that they are operaing under severe financial constraints, combined with the long term problem of attracting players to our beautiful but somewhat isolated county.

I know it will probably be very difficult for you but why not for once get behind Garry and the team -
I would ask the same question of you ? You've made 6 posts on this forum, 3 critizing anyone who posts, anything remotely negative about Johnson, on Gay Johnson stick or twist thread, the other 3 have been to critize Culmstockgull for being constantly critical of Gary Johnson on some match day threads, it's almost like your a relative of Gary Johnson, however it would interesting to know why you chose to pick on just one member, when I, and others have been posting the same opinions ?

Financial constraints, remains nothing but a poxy excuse, all clubs at our level were financial victims of covid lockdowns, all clubs faced the same increase in energy bills, on increased costs of goods and services through high inflation, pretty much only Wrexham and Notts County have had the finances to spend their way out of it, there's been a lot of evidence recently of clubs in the NPL spending less than us, but doing much better.

After the Dagenham match I got a chance to speak to Dagenham's chairman, I told him our 5minute chat was 5 minutes more than I'd got from anyone at TUFC , he gave me an in sight into the running of their club.

I ask you you to tell us about our budget, how it compared to other clubs, and what wages our senior members of staff were on, no surprise you never answered, your like all the rest that bang on about budgets, you don't actually know. Prove me wrong ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Dave wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 10:00 I would ask the same question of you ? You've made 6 posts on this forum, 3 critizing anyone who posts, anything remotely negative about Johnson, on Gay Johnson stick or twist thread, the other 3 have been to critize Culmstockgull for being constantly critical of Gary Johnson on some match day threads, it's almost like your a relative of Gary Johnson, however it would interesting to know why you chose to pick on just one member, when I, and others have been posting the same opinions ?

Financial constraints, remains nothing but a poxy excuse, all clubs at our level were financial victims of covid lockdowns, all clubs faced the same increase in energy bills, on increased costs of goods and services through high inflation, pretty much only Wrexham and Notts County have had the finances to spend their way out of it, there's been a lot of evidence recently of clubs in the NPL spending less than us, but doing much better.

After the Dagenham match I got a chance to speak to Dagenham's chairman, I told him our 5minute chat was 5 minutes more than I'd got from anyone at TUFC , he gave me an in sight into the running of their club.

I ask you you to tell us about our budget, how it compared to other clubs, and what wages our senior members of staff were on, no surprise you never answered, your like all the rest that bang on about budgets, you don't actually know. Prove me wrong ?
Correct Dave.
I have a lot of respect for GJ for what he has achieved - but he has unfortunately f*cked this season up big time with some of the signings.
The only ones that truly know about the budget are CO & his monkey......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Enzo wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 20:59 Good shout with Sturridge. Wonder if we could get a full eleven of historic loan stars?
GK - Michael Poke
LB - Ryan Dickson
CB - Steve Bould
CB - Mark Ellis
RB - Sam Sherring
LM - Liam Rosenior
CM - Danny Hollands
CM - Adam Randell
RM - Chris Zebroski
CF - Alan Lee
CF - Jason Roberts

Subs
Bryan McGlinchey
Guy Branston
Dean Sturridge
Kieffer Moore
Jake Robinson
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 10:05 Correct Dave.
I have a lot of respect for GJ for what he has achieved - but he has unfortunately f*cked this season up big time with some of the signings.
The only ones that truly know about the budget are CO & his monkey......
Totally agree, GJ has been great servant to football, and for while he brought the smiles back to our faces, I'll always be grateful for that, through out GJ's career, he's been successful when the goings good, and when he's had money to spend, but when he's needed to build squads from scratch, he's hit a brick wall, he's not always been successful in improving young players either, from Lolos, to Omar, Crowe, Hanson, Umrah etc, and I'll highlight McGavin, who was outstanding in pre-season, and performed well in early stages of our league campaign who's just gone backwards.

What's been highlighted, and why the focus must now be on how much we pay Pete Johnson for scouting is, whilst Lee Johnson was at Bristol City, then Sunderland there was no shortage of players, soon as Johnson junior went to Hearts, where there is no players we can to into, the recruitment, particularly on the loan front has been awful.
Formerly known as forevertufc