Torquay v Dagenham & Redbridge 25th March 2023

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I think the most staunch GJ fans must surely admit he has to go, you cannot defend his record this season, from judge me after 20 games, to Marquee signings, to using now nearly 40 players, to having zero identity (formation and tactics), not knowing his best XI, his stubbornness and puzzling post match interviews, you cannot keep burying your head in the sand, and think he should remain, I'm not going to get personal or use expletives to talk about GJ, he deserves respect for all he's achieved in the game, but this season is 100% one to far...I wasn't at the game, but today was the final straw, it sounds harsh, but I'd free players now, and rebuild now, use the next 8 games to shape things for next year.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

The same old story today.
Lack of fitness as has been evident all season.
And ‘Gary time’ that was once ours is now the oppositions.
A shambles of a squad that he has recruited or kept and this is the result. We cannot defend and with Donnellan and Marshall at the back , it is the same old repeated mistakes week in week out. Far too many injuries to the Dads Army brigade when we needed them coupled with the soft underbellied ‘Marquees’ and here we are 🤬
Goodnight Vienna
eddie6817
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddie6817 »

This team obviously has a death wish lost again in the dying seconds. Unforgivable but as stated previously by another poster a managerial change was desperately needed even as far back as November. Other results not favourable today so relegation looks like a done deal very sad but could have been avoided in my estimation.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Just got back from a game which we largely controlled but when we saw the winning tape we started to go longer and longer and with Dagenham always prepared to play on the ground it was only a question of time before they put us to the sword.

We had 6 attempts in the first half, four on target and the one goal. They had two half chances. Second half both teams only had two attempts but ours were off target and they scored from both theirs - goodnight Vienna!

The key incident was the disallowed goal - would like to see that again. Looked good from where I was but that was nowhere near level with the play so maybe I am wrong. Think we would have cruised to the win had we scored then but it was not to be.

We are now down and out - no need to work on the maths - this team cannot buy a win and it is only wins that will save us from the drop.

Hats off to Jarvis again today - he is the only player in the squad who shows any regular quality. His goal was superb.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

As usual I listen to johnsons after match before I post, I can understand taking evans off as he had an injury but I do not understand the comment we took hall off we need to rest him, for what , so he can go on his summer holidays fit. he has rested himself most of the season.
First half today besides the goal was a non match, we were nervous, I thought at one stage we were playing with two sweepers and at home for goodness sake, second half was no better although subbing evans and hall killed us, Jarvis was screaming at the lack of quality ball he was getting,once I can understand but we kept playing the same ball to him.
I agree MrTea we should start building for the south now as we are 8 points adrift, but releasing players is not as easy as we would like. Our worst two players today, donnellan and marshall are both on 2 year contracts.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

culmstockgull wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 18:59 we should start building for the south now... Our worst two players today, donnellan and marshall are both on 2 year contracts.
Agree on the rebuilding although I am equally concerned about the likes of McGavin and Hanson.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

MellowYellow wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 19:23 Agree on the rebuilding although I am equally concerned about the likes of McGavin and Hanson.
Personally not wishing to see next season with the likes of the 4 mentioned. Not 1of them has any fight for this relegation battle as they all have soft underbelly’s.
McGavin was on for 6 minutes and done his usual trick of giving the ball away as he does every game.
Hanson on the brink of achieving 2relegations from
NL in successive seasons…..Great signing Johnson
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

GullsUnited wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 18:27 I get you're angry and emotions tend to make us say silly things, that's being said, do you really think your comments are acceptable?
Yes, he’s been doing it all season. I’ll await the post match interview for his excuses.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

One thing worthy of consideration is that (relating to the current crop of players) part of the reason they seem so utterly useless could be put down to the hopeless management/development skills of Johnson and Downes. Maybe a different manager would discover some talents within some of them?
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

Well that was the same old story and the reason we are where we are. We are so poor at times it’s embarrassing. As soon as anyone runs at our defence we are in trouble as was the case with the penalty and the winner. From where I was it looked like a clumsy challenge for the pen and just awful defending at the end.

I thought Frank might have had a dream debut but it was not to be. I’ve no idea if it was the correct decision or not? He showed a few nice touches when he came on but he started to look frustrated after about 5 minutes with the lack of decent service.

There’s one thing I hate when I watch us play more than anything else and it’s the aimless long balls we play out of defence. They never work and all we do is give possession away. What on earth is GJ doing with these players in training I just don’t get it. The one and only time I saw us press their defence properly we won the ball back high up the pitch and Jarvis scored. Again why only do this once in the game. I know our recruitment has lets us down to some degree but GJ needs to take a huge amount of responsibility for this season. Tactically we are awful, we look unfit and we have no identity as a side. How he is still at the club I will never know.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

We needed a second goal (knowing we always concede late) but sat back too much second half.

What happened in the Pop Side with stewards? Girl taken away by police and a lot of angry people after the game.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

standupsitdown wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 20:06 Girl taken away by police .
Police! Now you're getting me worried about the girls safety.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Match highlights

Stibbs looked dangerous in the highlights, midfield in transition looked non existent and defence were all over the place.

I wasn’t at the game so not in a position to comment, but the latter has become symbolic of what I have seen this season.

Not sure Nouble’s goal was offside - looked close

Why aren’t we scoring more to put the game to bed? Since GJ has been in charge we’ve never really had the strongest of defences (give a take a couple of decent individuals) but have compensated by scoring goals during the good days.

What’s happened?

It’s so disappointing.
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 21:15 Match highlights
https://youtu.be/pW8m0ZvhI18

Stibbs looked dangerous in the highlights, midfield in transition looked non existent and defence were all over the place.

I wasn’t at the game so not in a position to comment, but the latter has become symbolic of what I have seen this season.

Not sure Nouble’s goal was offside - looked close

Why aren’t we scoring more to put the game to bed? Since GJ has been in charge we’ve never really had the strongest of defences (give a take a couple of decent individuals) but have compensated by scoring goals during the good days.

What’s happened?

It’s so disappointing.
Had the position of looking straight along their back line for Nouble's goal, he didn't look offside if I'm honest but thats been the case a lot so not going to look into too much.

Their winner did look like it took a slight deflection off Donnellan which seems unfortunately but only had ourselves to blame for not killing the game off sooner.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

standupsitdown wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 20:06 We needed a second goal (knowing we always concede late) but sat back too much second half.

What happened in the Pop Side with stewards? Girl taken away by police and a lot of angry people after the game.
Don't throw bottles and you won't be taken by the police, dumb to do it right in front of them

All handbags afterwards by the hard men