Gateshead v Torquay United - 18th March 2023

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

A hard earned point, but not really enough, from what I gather, Gateshead probably deserved more...But GJ tonight, come on, is he for real??, You've signed Dawson and Stobbs KNOWING they've hardly played this season, and then you turnaround and moan about it??, well if you knew that, why get them in?, This sums it all up, it's 100% being geared up for relagation, it reminds me of the bleak mid 80's , just using so many players, and making it up "on the hoof" it looks like it's 3 from 5 at the bottom, with Maidstone pretty much gone now, I can't realistically see us catching York or Aldershot, at a glance Dorking's run in is probably easier than ours on paper,right now the table looks bad.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I’ve just watched the ‘highlights’ and we made Gateshead look good, can anyone who attendee confirm whether this was generally the case?

It was clear we were prone to concede from distance based on the early encounters.

It’s so disappointing to watch!

At this point, despite being vocal in my criticism of the management, lack of formation, style of play, individual failings, I’ve decided that the only option is to get 100% behind Gary and the team, they are clearly lacking in confidence and they need our support.

COYY, let’s give it everything we have got to avoid the drop
Ludlow Gulled
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Ludlow Gulled »

All that’s left is mindless optimism so in that spirit and knowing our most likely fate…
Nico Lawrence was the best player on the pitch by miles…it is possible to get talent to Torquay. Will he play regional football? Just for shits and giggles?
What a finish from Evans. Can we confine him to the final third rather than losing the ball in the deep?
Lovett didn’t do much wrong and has the kick of a mule.
And that’s about it.
Vive la jaune.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 19:46 A hard earned point, but not really enough, from what I gather, Gateshead probably deserved more...But GJ tonight, come on, is he for real??, You've signed Dawson and Stobbs KNOWING they've hardly played this season, and then you turnaround and moan about it??, well if you knew that, why get them in?, This sums it all up, it's 100% being geared up for relagation, it reminds me of the bleak mid 80's , just using so many players, and making it up "on the hoof" it looks like it's 3 from 5 at the bottom, with Maidstone pretty much gone now, I can't realistically see us catching York or Aldershot, at a glance Dorking's run in is probably easier than ours on paper,right now the table looks bad.
:goodpost:

No “shouting or screaming” here - but GJ’s post match interview was a load of old nonsense. But, of course, he knows he is always going to get an easy ride from whoever the club or local media put in front of him. Like you say, HE signed Dawson and Stobbs knowing full well they weren’t “match fit”. HE chose to play Moxey, who has missed a couple of games - over a perfectly fit Wyatt - because he knows Wyatt isn’t good enough (despite having signed him). Likewise he could have started with a perfectly fit Hanson, but no, he hasn’t played much because you haven’t picked him! Again, because he isn’t good enough! As for McGavin, not being fit - in the pre match interview you (GJ) yourself said the injury he had (whatever it was, ‘cos the fans are NEVER told) didn’t affect him too badly as he had been able to train normally all week - so no excuse there either! Then there is “Rhysie” who had to come on for 20 minutes despite hardly having played this season - err, just like all the other number 2 goalies throughout the land then!!

The ONE player you could have put into this category was, of course, Asa Hall - who has unfortunately been out for a long time with injury and is being “eased back in” but you seemingly forgot to include him in “the list”. Never mind, save that one for next week, eh!

I guess the referee must have had a decent game up there, and the pitch must have been good and we weren’t just plain unlucky - which is why he had gone down this road, but it really is quite embarrassing for him to stand there and make this his excuse as to why we didn’t win the game.

Well at least we did manage to draw I suppose. I don’t think I could have put up with another “we keep losing by just the ONE goal” type of excuse again! 🙄
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

I can’t wait for this season to be over and to see the back of him. We need a complete reset.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

We're all sick of this season and all the excuses. It's an absolute disgrace that this club is going back to the National South and those responsible should hang their heads in shame. Our great and loyal fans deserve so much better and will be expecting a quick return to be financed next season.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Just watched the highlights back and the comment of we made them look good is very accurate, watching their goal they had five agianst our three with the midfield making no attempt to get back and help out. As for the comments of Johnson post match,he is past embarassing, even with loaded questions given to him on a plate he still fails to see the same game as everyone else does, as mentioned by others with the pitch and the ref out of the equation what was he left with and to say six or sven did not train this week when at least two of the subs were match fit and were not used. They may not have the quality of the starting eleven but they could at least run for 90 minutes.
What ever happens next season two people should not be at the club, besides half the squad, Johnson and the one who supposedly does the interviews,both have done this club serious damage through their lack of honesty and intergrity.
sevilla99
New Signing
New Signing

Post by sevilla99 »

culmstockgull wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 11:56 Just watched the highlights back and the comment of we made them look good is very accurate, watching their goal they had five agianst our three with the midfield making no attempt to get back and help out. As for the comments of Johnson post match,he is past embarassing, even with loaded questions given to him on a plate he still fails to see the same game as everyone else does, as mentioned by others with the pitch and the ref out of the equation what was he left with and to say six or sven did not train this week when at least two of the subs were match fit and were not used. They may not have the quality of the starting eleven but they could at least run for 90 minutes.
What ever happens next season two people should not be at the club, besides half the squad, Johnson and the one who supposedly does the interviews,both have done this club serious damage through their lack of honesty and intergrity.
Where is your evidence for Garry Johnson's "lack of honesty and integrity". You have consistently made ill conceived and inaccurate comments about Garry on this forum throughout the season. Do you not understand that he has a battle on his hands with a relatively low playing budget as compared to other clubs in the National League and is swimming against the tide when it comes to attracting players to the club because of it's geographical position? I, for one, have tremendous respect for Gary as a manager and as an individual. He and the team will continue to have my whole hearted support as they endeavour to retrieve the situation. As I have done for many years, I will continue to attend matches at Plainmoor with a positive attitude in the knowledge that the current managerial and scouting team have the ability to eventually lead the club back to the Football League.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

sevilla99 wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 20:47 …in the knowledge that the current managerial and scouting team have the ability to eventually lead the club back to the Football League.
This has to be a joke!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

You must be incredibly tolerant Sevilla99
'relatively low budget' - maybe compared to Wrexham, County and Chesterfield
but never a bottom four budget.
We should never be being relegated !
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

desperado wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 10:08 You must be incredibly tolerant Sevilla99
'relatively low budget' - maybe compared to Wrexham, County and Chesterfield
but never a bottom four budget.
We should never be being relegated !
Not saying that it won't happen, but it hasn't.....
Not just yet.....
(It's the f*cking hope that kills you...)
God, I'm blessed......... Torquay United FC & Wakefield Trinity RLFC............. :@ :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 11:16 Not saying that it won't happen, but it hasn't.....
Not just yet.....
(It's the f*cking hope that kills you...)
God, I'm blessed......... Torquay United FC & Wakefield Trinity RLFC............. :@ :rofl:
I do not know much about the rugby....but sponsoring our 'Walking Player of the year '......any regrets ? :nod:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

DevonBee wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 11:23 I do not know much about the rugby....but sponsoring our 'Walking Player of the year '......any regrets ? :nod:
Hmm, tbh, we didnt have much choice..... :-/
He was given to us by the club as at the time he was the only one available....
Then two days later Aaron Jarvis turns up and my mate Martin ended up with him! :@ :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 13:00 Hmm, tbh, we didnt have much choice..... :-/
He was given to us by the club as at the time he was the only one available....
Then two days later Aaron Jarvis turns up and my mate Martin ended up with him! :@ :rofl:
Given to you 🤣🤣 Let’s hope the club can give him to another club at the end of this season and do everyone a favour along with about 10 others.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

I would not allow the Club to dictate to me. If I wanted to sponsor a player of my choice and I was given "anyone", I would not pay up, simple as that.

The Club tried to dictate about the restaurant with inferior meal options at an increased price....result, we have not eaten there since pre COVID and I know of at least twenty people who eat there every match but now contribute ZERO. Maybe with carvery on the menu again, we may reconsider...but NOT at £30 or £36 for non ST holders.

And who wants three courses ? Go back to one, two or three courses and charge realistic prices. I would suggest £18 for one course, £22 for two and £25 for three courses, with a £2 meal supplement for non ST holders. It use to be excellent and packed out EVERY match.

We use to be part of a box but do not bother now because despite again paying inflated prices, we are not allowed to bring guest into the box...even though we have paid for extra tickets.....result the Club has lost more revenue. We are treated with comtent, NO ONE listens.