Torquay United v Wealdstone - 11th March

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

A valiant performance by the 10 men indeed. I wondered what was the difference between Lapslie's lunge from the ground and their player's lunge from the ground to kick Halstead in the head - both going for the ball with a high foot as they were sprawled, and yet no action taken other than a late polite word?
But basically yet another team has shown us how to play modern football with passing, triangles, support, possession, control; yes, they had the extra man, but we are still playing old-style airball, hardly ever throw the ball to feet to keep possession, lack of composure and creativity. We have had most of the season to adapt and to try to improve a limited ability squad, but all we see is the same-old-same-old. Just not professional.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

PL21gull wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 08:50 A valiant performance by the 10 men indeed. I wondered what was the difference between Lapslie's lunge from the ground and their player's lunge from the ground to kick Halstead in the head - both going for the ball with a high foot as they were sprawled, and yet no action taken other than a late polite word?
But basically yet another team has shown us how to play modern football with passing, triangles, support, possession, control; yes, they had the extra man, but we are still playing old-style airball, hardly ever throw the ball to feet to keep possession, lack of composure and creativity. We have had most of the season to adapt and to try to improve a limited ability squad, but all we see is the same-old-same-old. Just not professional.
All fair points. It grieves me that two years ago we would have wiped the floor with this Wealdstone side. We have lost so much in such a short time.

As for the Gulls players, I thought they gave their all yesterday, never stopped trying. Full credit to them for that.

As for the Ref, dreadful. Inconsistent, useless. As was the child running the line on the pop side. Kreizmar was trained in the Woking FC training college of shithousery, diving, cheating and playacting, it showed, he conned the ref for the red. Later on he did a blatant dive in the penalty area and wasn’t even spoken to let alone booked. The attack on Halstesd was a clear red. As for the defender clutching his face after a 50:50 tussle with Jarvis! The ref of course bought this and booked Jarvis.

It never rains but it pours. We have a poor squad, poor tactics and we deserve to be where we are. Adding incompetent officials just makes it all worse.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

We were out of our depth. We'd of still lost with 11 men. Can't fault the effort at all, but the application......

Wealdstone played some nice stuff, pass and move into space, we just continue to hit it long. Jarvis flicks the ball on a lot, but Tope is never in position to receive the flick ons. He sits along side him and not anticipating or gambling. And for a guy who looks built like a barn door, he is so easily dispossessed and out muscled off the ball.
We gave everything and so I still clapped them off, but another late goal, another one goal defeat. Apart from the top three clubs, everyone is so average in this division and we continue to lose points we had fought so hard for.
Can't comment on the Halstead incident, but our red card was as blatant as it gets. Lapslie constantly plays on a fine line, it's great when he gets it right, but that wasn't. I wonder if any effort is made before a match to talk to refs and see their mindset on tackling and what they'll approve or not accept?
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

https://www.dorchestertownfc.co.uk/news ... ruary-potm

Surely he’d be a better option than the likes of Hanson? Dorchester are mid table in the Southern Premier and 14 points off the play-offs, so recalling him wouldn’t derail their season.
The Eternal Optimist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by The Eternal Optimist »

Anyone who was at the match yesterday would not deny that Torquay should have got something from the game. The effort shown by all of the ten players kept a top team at bay for 91 minutes.
Having seen the highlights, it was definitely a red card. Anyone who thinks otherwise ought to imagine if it was the other way round. The crowd would have screamed for a red card.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

The Eternal Optimist wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 15:56 Anyone who was at the match yesterday would not deny that Torquay should have got something from the game. The effort shown by all of the ten players kept a top team at bay for 91 minutes.
Having seen the highlights, it was definitely a red card. Anyone who thinks otherwise ought to imagine if it was the other way round. The crowd would have screamed for a red card.
Exactly. Absolute red card and it looks like it at the time as well.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes, as fans we certainly can not fault the effort yesterday, however we've been saying that all season. yesterday highlighted something that's happened all season, from August through September, from Christmas right up to the recent run of games, that's both collective and especially individual poor decision making, that alone has probably cost 5 points in our recent run of match's .

From Wyatt's miss timed challenge for the Notts County penalty 1 point lost potentially , to Evans making a rash challenge just after half time v Dorking whilst already on a yellow, potentially 3 points lost, to Donellan steaming 5 yards across the penalty box, totally wiping out a Bromley player for their penalty another point lost.

To yesterday with Lapslie, for start it's fine to be bias in support of our team, however for those who think the ref was conned, to be fair, and I was on the popside half way line looking right down at the incident with a front on view, the ref had a very good view and took the red card out of his pocket straight away without hesitation, so I don't think play acting had any influence at all.

Lapslie has come steaming in, made an uncontrolled challenge and wiped the Wealdstone lad out, but the biggest point of all here, there was no danger what so ever, so what possessed Lapslie to make such a challenge when he didn't need to .

And it's these sorts of terrible individual decision making errors listed that have festered all season, there either born from poor tactics, no leadership, poor coaching or just plain frustration, and that's why we're going down.
Formerly known as forevertufc
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

what we need is a manager who is at the club full time, he is only at training a couple of days a week.

spoke to someone yesterday who confirmed this was the case at another club previously. lapslie out for 3 games is the nail in the coffin, hanson, mcgavin etc are not good enough to get out of this mess let a lone win a game, i am absolutely baffled HOW we have not got anyone in for cover in the last 2 weeks. GJ says we are in with a chance, come 5pm saturday we need to start looking at getting the youth team in for the final games as our fate is confirmed.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

aggrey_25 wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 08:49 what we need is a manager who is at the club full time, he is only at training a couple of days a week.

spoke to someone yesterday who confirmed this was the case at another club previously. lapslie out for 3 games is the nail in the coffin, hanson, mcgavin etc are not good enough to get out of this mess let a lone win a game, i am absolutely baffled HOW we have not got anyone in for cover in the last 2 weeks. GJ says we are in with a chance, come 5pm saturday we need to start looking at getting the youth team in for the final games as our fate is confirmed.
might that tell you more about the owner than GJ?
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I've got to agree with aggrey25 and that post, if GJ is only ,"on site" for training a few times per week, that's suprising, I don't know why that's the case, but we need a manager who's around all the time, Tom getting that straight red is a major blow to any hope of a survival chance, the only plus is Dawson looks decent, and Hall is back, who I've always rated, what is a major concern is our defence is shocking, never settled, and certain players I'm not sure exactly what their position or best position is, and saying that after nearly a full season, that tells me all I need to know, next season will be yet another rebuild, probably in NLS,..I've said it before, but the players currently at the club aren't bad, but a good 7 or 8 of them are in over their heads, that's not their fault, they'll go on and hopefully have decent careers, but right now, the NL is to higher standard for them.
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Or maybe the Women..would be nice to have their Manager on the touchline alongside Gary instead of Downes Could tell what's going wrong

Unfortunately with the players he has to pick from its Mission Impossible!!!
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

can anyone else understand or explain the lack of activity trying to get players in to stay up? or just resigned with going down with what we have, because this lot are not winning any games now
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

aggrey_25 wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 08:49 what we need is a manager who is at the club full time, he is only at training a couple of days a week.

We have a part time manager who lives miles away, as does Downes........makes you wonder what actually does go on at the Training ground ?
The whole lot are totally unfit, and this is proven with the late goals we concede time and time again. God knows what a guy like Nico Lawrence must think of it after coming from a Prem League set up. Even feel his game is suffering from the shambles that is.
A total shambles from top to bottom. Apart time Manager with a Part time mentality and it has spread right through the entire squad, with the end result being this....P 36 W 7 D 9 L 20 GD -24 PTS 30
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Not sure whether Johnson being full time or as people suggest, part time woud make any difference to our predicament, I am sure even an old duffer like him has been shown how to face time and use other social media which in reality is how modern life works, the only person who puts n a full week is probably the physio.
As for getting players in to assist our dire situation, the ones that would and could make a difference are on a thousand a week plus so we know that is not happening.
Can anyone tell me with any degree of confidence where a minimum of five wins is coming from and that fully assumes that all the other clubs in the bottom six decide to do us this huge favour and not win any of their remaining games, it just will not happen.
As many have said, we could have done this and that before christmas, and undoubtedly should have, but we didn't, the club mistakenly chose to stick with what they had.
Our serial failures of this season ,and there are numerous on two year contracts will reflect during the summer from their sun loungers in ibiza, that come july they will still get paid the same for being in the south but be up against opposition that will not make the look silly every week.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Where are a minimum of 5 wins coming from 🤔
I said a while back Dorking, Aldershot, Gateshead,Scunthorpe would define our season, but I was banking on winning some home games. To stay up now would be a miracle .