Solihull Moors v Torquay United - 7th March

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

DB57 wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 09:18 When we were top of the league and Danny Wright got injured we didn’t bother to replace him, so why break the habits of a lifetime now?
In Gary we trust??
Spot on….
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Normally at a home gameI I have an hours drive home to reflect on what I had seen and then watch Johnsons post match and then make a comment on the game, by that time the frustration and pointless anger of another loss has all but disappeared and you can attempt a fair reflection. Last night I just sat and sat , probably numbed by the realisation that we are going down.
Madgull suggests we are short on confidence,understandable comment, but actually more relevant, we are and have been short on quality and experience all season and that is what keeps you in this league.
I believe Johnson has now used every throw of the dice and while he continues to plod on with more changes of formation and personnel we all know where this is heading, even if the miracle happens and the first team manages to play the remaning eleven games the obstacle that is safety is out of our hands.
The logic of starting another poll on johnson stay or go had some benefit before christmas but now it is pointless. Every club johnson has been at starts with promotion highs and unreal expectations and ends in relegation.
We have comments of no forward on the bench and koszela should be brought in, not even sure whether he is out of plaster after his ankle break and besides if we had to rely on him on past showings I would certainly tear up my season ticket.
So on to saturday where I will look forward to a pint of Brynn's probably more than the match.
Ulleswater
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Larry Baxter

Post by Ulleswater »

madgull wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 00:07 On a side note, does anyone know what the words between Downes and Lapslie with the supporters were at the end?
As I saw it there was some very foul-mouthed abuse coming from just a couple of fans. Lapslie came over to make the point that such abuse was out of order. He also said how much he cared and that the boys were hurting and were trying. It ended with some handshakes.
While Lapslie always give everything and had the bottle to come over and talk to the fans that can’t be said for everyone. Johnson conspicuously absent yet again. I am normally pretty tolerant as long as the effort is there but when we got back to 3-2 and then let the ten men see it out with relative ease that becomes too much. We had a couple of corners, pushed people forward, went short and ball never reached the box! I’ve reached the end of my patience!
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

:goodpost: :goodpost:
culmstockgull wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 10:04 Normally at a home gameI I have an hours drive home to reflect on what I had seen and then watch Johnsons post match and then make a comment on the game, by that time the frustration and pointless anger of another loss has all but disappeared and you can attempt a fair reflection. Last night I just sat and sat , probably numbed by the realisation that we are going down.
Madgull suggests we are short on confidence,understandable comment, but actually more relevant, we are and have been short on quality and experience all season and that is what keeps you in this league.
I believe Johnson has now used every throw of the dice and while he continues to plod on with more changes of formation and personnel we all know where this is heading, even if the miracle happens and the first team manages to play the remaning eleven games the obstacle that is safety is out of our hands.
The logic of starting another poll on johnson stay or go had some benefit before christmas but now it is pointless. Every club johnson has been at starts with promotion highs and unreal expectations and ends in relegation.
We have comments of no forward on the bench and koszela should be brought in, not even sure whether he is out of plaster after his ankle break and besides if we had to rely on him on past showings I would certainly tear up my season ticket.
So on to saturday where I will look forward to a pint of Brynn's probably more than the match.
:goodpost:
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

How toxic will it be on Saturday if we lose ? This post match interviews are a waste of space, stupid questions, a lack of honestly from the “gaffer” and then you look at the body language in last nights grilling...... relegation is a certainty
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Another 9 outfield players like Lapslie and we wouldn't be in this mess.
As someone else said elsewhere Johnson must stay until the bitter end and own this relegation and not pass it on to some other poor bugger unless it's Dopey Downes.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Just watched the highlights.

If only Collins had scored early on to make it 2-0 this could have been so different.

Perfect pass, quick feet and missed by 6 inches when really should have scored. Lewis knew immediately by his reaction how important that miss was but it sums up our season perfectly.

If we do not score 3 or 4 our defending ensures we lose because we are are still all over the place particularly Donnellan who always seems to be outpaced and out of position.

If I had the time I would watch every goal conceded and sorry Shaun you do try but you are too slow at this level to defend the box. Not a right back in a million years. Wyatt was worse!!
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

Well I’ve just watched them too and our goals conceded are all about not tracking your man. Hate to say senor Lapslie in the first two and a woefully uninspired Hanson for their third. Our attacking play, admittedly highlights only, dare I say, showed bits and pieces. Looking bleak but got to plug on.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Have to agree Portugull our full backs are a weak link. I like Donnellan as he gives it his all, and not sure what he is but he's not a right back , his positioning at times is terrible and Wyatt gives the ball away too often with slack passing and for gawds sake get them to bust a gut to stop the stream of crosses !
It's all too easy for the opposition !
eddie6817
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddie6817 »

I made a comment before Christmas that Johnson should be replaced with a new manager with new ideas the writing in my mind was on the wall even then that relegation was a distinct possibility. I cannot believe there is any other club out there with a history the likes of our beloved club that would allow this shambles to continue without a change of leadership and philosophy. Too late now probably but not a certainty.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

desperado wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 19:28 Have to agree Portugull our full backs are a weak link. I like Donnellan as he gives it his all, and not sure what he is but he's not a right back , his positioning at times is terrible and Wyatt gives the ball away too often with slack passing and for gawds sake get them to bust a gut to stop the stream of crosses !
It's all too easy for the opposition !
Have to disagree on Donnellan, was walking back and not tracking his man last night, lacked the desire to knock the ball onto his right and cross too often as well. Perhaps it's cos, like you said, he's deffo not a right back!

100% agree on needing to stop the crosses, from their body shaping it looks like we're trying to encourage crosses as long as it's into a certain area, which is fine...if you can defend them, but we can't!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

The fact that some people like Donnelan kind of shows just how poor our team is. He really is a poor player who looks competent in comparison to his teammates but he wouldn’t have got near even the side we had a year ago.

He reminds me of (for anyone who remembers the mid-80s) Steve Pugh. When Steve Pugh joined us in the 83/84 season he looked such a poor player. Then when Dave Webb got rid of all of our good players and signed dross from the local leagues, Steve Pugh was suddenly one of our best players because the others were even worse. Donnelan is the same.
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

hector wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 19:10 The fact that some people like Donnelan kind of shows just how poor our team is. He really is a poor player who looks competent in comparison to his teammates but he wouldn’t have got near even the side we had a year ago.

He reminds me of (for anyone who remembers the mid-80s) Steve Pugh. When Steve Pugh joined us in the 83/84 season he looked such a poor player. Then when Dave Webb got rid of all of our good players and signed dross from the local leagues, Steve Pugh was suddenly one of our best players because the others were even worse. Donnelan is the same.
Couldn't disagree more, Donnellan is more than good enough for this squad, plays pretty anywhere he's asked to and puts in a good shift
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

GullsUnited wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 19:21 Couldn't disagree more, Donnellan is more than good enough for this squad, plays pretty anywhere he's asked to and puts in a good shift
Then you didn’t read my post properly did you?

I didn’t say he wasn’t good enough for this squad - hell, even I’m good enough for this squad - I said he wasn’t very good. He wouldn’t have got near last year’s team.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Donnellan isn't a bad player, but when we are not winning he has a tendency to rush forward, we lose the ball and there's a gaping hole behind him that gets exploited time and time again. Donnellan eventually gets back way too late.

The penalty the other week was also a shocking decision by him. And so, I suppose his problem is awareness and decision making. Risk vs reward doesn't get considered enough by Donnellan or several of our players.