Torquay United v Barnet - FA Trophy (Saturday 11th February 2023 @ 15.00)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Hall has been amazing for the club. I'd stick with the guy rather than knock him. He's as likely as anyone to grab a winner, even if he doesn't play too much.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

toastkid wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 13:00 Hall has been amazing for the club. I'd stick with the guy rather than knock him. He's as likely as anyone to grab a winner, even if he doesn't play too much.
Where is he?
Shouldn't have been signed this season, legs were gone last year and waste of wages
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Scott Jackson a painful name to read as the ref, usually poor and today waves on a barnet player to come on to where the ball is going to and he collides with Collins causing a bad injury

Had to be stretched off as he couldn't walk, looked like he was going to be sick, clearly concussed
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 16:04 Where is he?
Shouldn't have been signed this season, legs were gone last year and waste of wages
Hall is a true leader and can still play. Ok he isn't as quick as he once was but he makes up for that with his readsing of the game, heading ability and finishing. It's nice to have a layer who has been here for a whle and really feels part of the club. Future manager for me
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Midlandgull wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 16:35 Hall is a true leader and can still play. Ok he isn't as quick as he once was but he makes up for that with his readsing of the game, heading ability and finishing. It's nice to have a layer who has been here for a whle and really feels part of the club. Future manager for me
Can still play? Are you having a laugh? Where is he?
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by Midlandgull »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 16:48 Can still play? Are you having a laugh? Where is he?
Who got the winner v Halifax? Being injured is unfortunate - would you not sign Dan Martin on that basis or accept that injuries are not something you can predict?

Asa Hall deserves a lot more respect than he gets.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 16:48 Can still play? Are you having a laugh? Where is he?
I spoke to Asa after the game, where he had been sat on the bench with the other subs. He says it is another couple of weeks until he comes back
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Moving away from players we shouldn't have resigned

Today was simply a case of quality in the final 3rd, both Barnet goals came from great crosses that had pace and accuracy. Our balls into the box are slow and chipped in which were meat and drink for the lumps at the back for Barnet

The few times we played it on the deck we looked dangerous

Lapslie frustrating, runs to be a striker and leaves a void in our midfield meaning we go long too often

I hope we move away from the wing backs - it doesn't work. Wyatt isn't good going forward and Da Silva looks uncomfortable there. We've got the players available to go 4-4-3

Barnet are beatable, we need to be more aggressive without the ball and smarter with it and hopefully not the same ref and lino on the pop both shocking
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Hall has been excellent for us, but how many appearances has he made this season?
We just can't have players who'll only play 10 games a season for us.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Besides the standard of referring or lack of it and their professionalism (timewasting) we had nothing to offer in the final third and what we did was rushed, scuffed or put out of the ground. Mcgavin ,I just do not get him, he looks frightened all the time, incapable of doing anything constructive, Evans,his crosses into the box are getting worse by the week other than one which on reflection may be his goal. Annoyed the way we played because Barnet are nothing special but at least we did not lose any points.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

This was a horrible niggly foul ridden poorly officiated time wasting apology for a game between 2 teams of supposedly Full Time Professional Players.

God knows what they will produce next Saturday but it wont be good football that is for sure.

Games like this make me despair about Pro Football. A complete lack of quality and why do we still play the same way game after game when we know it does not work?

Corners. No idea. Evans sends over weak slow high balls which are so easy to defend. Why? Are you watching Gary?

We continue game after game to play high balls from back to front so that Jarvis and Tope have their back to goal. What happens? They are fouled or the defender wins the challenge. It does not work. How long will it take for Gary and Aaron to realise that we need to play the ball on the ground and use wingers to whip the ball into the box with pace.

I am usually a glass half full guy but this was a dreadful game to watch.

The only plus point. Watching Nico Lawrence who I thought had a tremendous game and was excellent. I predict a very good career for this young man.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Irrelevant game - lets beat them in the proper fixture next week. Thats all that matters
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Very disappointing, we need to be a lot better next week, stop the balls going into that 6ft 5 mouthey striker, he's going to get some stick next week. I can't recall their keeper making any saves, simply not good enough, we are so predictable and pedestrian , I really don't think this team has enough about them to stay up.
On the plus side I thought Tope did ok , he is getting better and stronger gradually, Jarvis excellent as usual, doing his best with long hoofed balls. De Silva,Wyatt, Crowe not wing backs . Wyatt and Crowe have no pace or strength to go up and down. Donnellan had a poor game after good form lately. We have to take 4 points from Barnet and Dorking games .
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 18:43 Irrelevant game - lets beat them in the proper fixture next week. Thats all that matters
Totally agree. Looking at the teams left though it was a Trophy there to be won.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Just back after another very frustrating afternoon, and an opportunity to progress drifts away.
Yes another home defeat and we need to build again ..starting next week. This was a strong team put out by Johnson and we need to be much much better as this was not Barnets strongest X1 today .
GJ states he gives them homework by making them watch the highlights..........I would suggest he gives Jarvis homework as watching the Barnet
shithouse Harry Smith and tell him to try and mirror him......How to lead the line....How to win the ball.....How to connect by getting timing right...
How to beat your man,win headers in crucial areas ...and more importantly score goals and become a matchwinner.
I appreciate Jarvis is the best forward we have unfortunately.........but how many headers does he win from Halsteads punts upfield.....count them next time you are at a game...it is frighteningly low !
Evans needs to toughen up, far too weak for the battle ahead.

Out of the Cup and now it is all about survival......to achieve this we need far far more than what I saw out there today.