Torquay United V Notts County Sat 4 Feb KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

That was not a clear penalty! Indeed it was no penalty at all. Wyatt definitely got the ball first despite Nemane getting on his wrong side. Would like to have seen the Moxey penalty shout earlier in the game - looked a far more obvious penalty from where I was.

So, overall, I felt United did well enough to share the points. Yes, County played some really good football in midfield, turning defence into attack, but we generally restricted them to long range chances. Everyone battled hard although Hanson was lucky not to see red whilst he was on - Rodrigues was clearly targeting him and the management should have taken him off earlier.

County were a really good team with a nasty side - Rodrigues particularly and got his comeuppance with a stupid second yellow.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

A spirited valiant performance but another defeat because we cannot turn possession into goals - then again, we tend to go consistently long with our possession, hence lose it. As said above, what was our game plan apart from going long against a tall defence. We desperately need an experienced controlling figure in midfield; for all his running and enthusiasm, Evans was trying to do too much on his own instead of passing more.
Notts dominated the play in the first half, passes and throws to feet, always a supporting teammate nearby or in acres of space as our rigid 5-3-2 was spread about the field. Notts a good footballing side, playing a loose 3-2-2-1-2 system which enabled them to get lots of players forwards and to have at least 4 in our penalty box when attacking. However, we did restrict them to few chances. Galling though that they should have such a nasty team ethos - niggling, feigning injury to elicit a card, always kicking/throwing the ball away, timewasting naturally, Cameron continually in the ear of the ref. Professionalism presumably, which just shows how young and naive we can be.
Cannot believe we did not get a penalty when Moxey was blatantly hauled down to prevent him reaching a corner; but it shows how decisions go when you are either top or bottom of the league.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

We are starting to sound like the manager. 'If only', we would be in the playoffs!

Sadly, it is nil points at home again. Things need to turn around quickly. Like most people, I was not expecting anything from this game, but points are badly needed.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Decisions go your way when you're at the top and against you when you are at the bottom.

That's why they are top and we are bottom.

If only GJ had worked on referee decisions in training. We'd be in the Champions league.

Really?

In the round, the decisions yesterday probably evened themselves out. And we just weren't quite good enough in the last 20 or 25 mins. That's all. Good game though.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I agree that too much time is being spent on debating the officals decision, it has happened, come May none of can say our season was decided on an arguable penalty. Lets leave the excuses and deflections to Johnson, he has had a lifetime of experience and is far more proficient on the subject than us.
Over the last month my confidence in avoiding relegation has increased markedly, We will not escape by much and the attitude of the woking game will need to be invoked in each fixture. Put the youth team out agianst Barnet, this cup is a disraction we do not need, One thing does, avoiding relegation
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Totally disagree culmstockgull. Gary will put out a strong team because the more they play together the better they will get.

Remember Nico Lawrence, Lewis Collins,and Tope Fadahunsi, if match fit, are new to the team and Gary will want to win this tie for the confidence it will give the boys if we can end a very good run by Barnet who in the League are unbeaten in 10 games. I do wonder if Jacob Mensah will get a game though?

We are slowly getting better but Barnet will be tough to beat.

Any news on Asa Hall anybody?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Still see that as a very dodgy penalty, looks to me as if Wyatt gets a toe end on the ball. Nemane is well known for going down easily and conning the ref.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

Indifferent teams and managers always blame the officials for their own blatantly evident shortcomings.

I almost fell off my chair the other day when a football league manager - I can't recall who - said that his side was beaten by a better team. Unparalleled honesty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

somersetgull wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 17:44 Far from it. If we manage to keep 5 or 6 from this lot next season in the South I believe we could aviod relegation next season.

Doubt we will so still expecting us to be Southern South this time in 2 years.

Hope tho we might compete in the National South to around mid table if we keep this squad next year so not all gloom.
Yawn.
Make your mind up....
Firstly, according to you we will be in the South, then the following season in the "Southern South" but hang on, then according to you we may finish "mid-table" in the South next season so won't end up in the "Southern South" after all.....
You're out to lunch sunshine.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468