Woking v Torquay United. Tuesday 31st January 2023

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Back on topic, looked like it was a game we maybe could or should have won - but pre kick off a point would have been good.
Good to see that we cam e back from 1 down and tbh, woking were no great shakes..... 3rd place? :-/
Big test on Saturday...
Lets hope for a Cameron og in the 90+5th minute winner..... :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

somersetgull wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 18:04 Seriously. Saturday was so depressing. We won absolutely devoid of excitement or cheering. Maybe hope we can finish 2nd from bottom.

Improving 🙈🙈🙈🙈
Are you deaf by any chance? :whistle:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Were we lucky tonight, maybe. Were we second to a number of balls, yes. Were Woking quicker and stronger, yes. But having said that, our boys have big hearts and gave it their all.

A point on the road at third placed Woking was a great reward for the players, management, and the 174 supporters who made the trip. Gary mentioned people leaving before the end, I don't believe this was needed. However, it did feel strange as the stand emptied around me with ten still to go. This was clearly picked up by the bench looking over the pitch. To the 174, I say thank you for supporting our club. I understand some may be relying on public transport.
Neil Williams 53
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Neil Williams 53 »

Probably correct Nick. I had to leave at the start of stoppage time to get a train back into London in order to connect with my train back to East Sussex. There were a few other gulls fans on platforms when I boarded the train. Sorry GJ but we had to be sure of getting home!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

When a great supporter of Torquay United has to rely on the Rail Service in the UK to get home after an evening game it just shows you how committed our Fans are.

We are the laughing stock of Europe for the worst Train Service in Europe. Only our pitiful Politicians could dream up that in a very small Country geographically speaking we need about 16 different Companies to operate what is a total shambles.

I avoid the trains if I can as the service, if that the right word, is a complete joke.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

GJ was out of order, making those comments about the fans and appear to have contempt, put honest, hard-working people who pay their money to make an effort to support his team on the road on a Tuesday night away from home. I really admire those people who made the effort to follow the goals, and thought the manager should show a bit more respect beyond his pampered princesses of a squad. It sounds as though he was laughing at the fans who had to remember they had real lives to lead and get home to the families. We expect better from you Gary.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 01 Feb 2023, 10:04 Are you deaf by any chance? :whistle:
Somersetgull…. What is the point of you posting anything term and that you want us to go down and everyone should be as miserable as you are. Maybe it was quiet in your front room, listening to the radio, but not where I was at the game, surrounded by people screaming their heads off to support the lads. If you have got nothing good to say, don’t say nothing..
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 20:46 watch Da Silva - not concentrating and punished
Rewatched and your point taken ref daydreaming DDS and not following the eventual goalscorer
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Defending and remaining focused is definetely a part of de silvas game that requires work, but that could be said of many players in the squad, as a flying winger he is very good and he poses a real threat when he is on it , but there were several times in the game when donnellan raised his hands at him as if to say what are you doing. He is young and he will learn and I know Johnson expects much of his wingbacks and wingers possibly too much.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I think De Silva is a fantastic young Footballer but why play him a a wing back which does not suit his game?

He is a match winner in attack mode.

I would much prefer to play him where he can really hurt the opposition with his speed and trickery.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Could / should De Silva play in the No. 10 role off Jarvis. The down side to this move is the loss of another midfielder, we struggle there already!

The two Woking center backs highlight to me what we as a club are missing. This is the try of signings we should be making, why Woking and not us. Location I guess, let's address it.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

Nick Potkins wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 18:27 This is the try of signings we should be making, why Woking and not us. Location I guess, let's address it.
we're going to move the club? :nod:
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

happytorq wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 18:33 we're going to move the club? :nod:
Having a quick scan of some of Woking's players, there's a number who have played for Yeovil and Stevenage previously.

I'd probably say that for some the draw is joining/rejoining the manager, Darren Sarll.

Maybe a vision for the club, the draw of the manager, the plan for success and a competitive contract outweighs the location.....whilst there's a lot worse places to live than Torquay.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Nick Potkins wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 18:27 Location I guess, let's address it.
Plainmoor, Torquay, Devon, TQ1 3PS
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

To clarify my point, I wound move training away from Torquay, not the club. 😃