Torquay United vs Taunton Town 17/01 - 19:45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 18:50 Careful you'll have that guy kicking off that it's "just a drop" of rain
Irony is totally lost in you isn't it.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

kerswellgull wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 18:01 Is it extra time and penalties for the Taunton game?
Yes
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Cheddargull wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 19:53 Irony is totally lost in you isn't it.
:whistle:
LikeaPatOutaHele
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by LikeaPatOutaHele »

Taunton will indeed not be pushovers.
Yeovil meet them twice in the FA Cup and failed to score. I saw the replay, which, once Taunton took the lead, they were seldom troubled and probably should beaten Yeovil by more than the single goal.

I have seen 3 times this season, seeing just one goal conceded. They are very well organised if somewhat unspectacular team. Strong defensively, they do not concede many goals. Going forward there is a need for more creativity meaning not too many goals are scored. The forwards work hard but are limited. Apparently the leading goal scorers, who helped secure promotion last year, left in the summer.

In the games I attended the formation was 5-3-2. What creativity there was, came from the wing backs who were competent without being sensational. They are very difficult to break down. This being the first season at this level the manager seems to be intent on making them very solid until he can acquire the players in future seasons to enable them to be more expansive.

I suggest Taunton are distinctly better than Chippenham, who incidently, they did beat early on in the season. I would very much doubt our chances of recovery, should there be a repeat of the weak start which put us two down against Chippenham. The first goal could be critical. Taunton are very capable of shutting the game down, holding onto a one goal lead. More so than our frail defence.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

With all this rain the match could be called off. Ground is already saturated and more to come before kick off.

Last week the groundstaff were forking the pitch but it was one step forward and two steps back - they were getting nowhere. When the match started, the surface cut up badly.

If it is called off, I do not expect an early decision after all this is TUFC. Would imagine rearranged date will be Tuesday, with Bromley postponed again.
Phipsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Phipsy »

Game OFF.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

North Curry House wrote: 14 Jan 2023, 09:01 With all this rain the match could be called off. Ground is already saturated and more to come before kick off.

Last week the groundstaff were forking the pitch but it was one step forward and two steps back - they were getting nowhere. When the match started, the surface cut up badly.

If it is called off, I do not expect an early decision after all this is TUFC. Would imagine rearranged date will be Tuesday, with Bromley postponed again.
Called off early enough for you?
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 14 Jan 2023, 11:01 Called off early enough for you?
Quite a surprise, I even received TWO emails from the Club. Totally unexpected. Keep it up.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

North Curry House wrote: 14 Jan 2023, 17:57 I still have not got over the shock of an early notification. I even received TWO emails from the Club. Keep it up.
And 3 duplicate posts from you to remind us :lol:
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

More heavy rain overnight tonight, then conditions expected to be freezing on Tuesday evening. The ground staff are up against it!
Phipsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Phipsy »

Is this game being livestreamed?
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Phipsy wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 09:34 Is this game being livestreamed?
No. Its a Football Association competition, not a National League one.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Another home draw if we get through -
Barnet
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

So we may play Barnet at home two Saturdays in a row. I know which I'd rather win .
Welcome back Ben Wynter, hope and expect he will get a good reception.
bringbackthecowshed
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tommy Mitchinson

Post by bringbackthecowshed »

1-0 De Silva