Torquay United vs Taunton Town 17/01 - 19:45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

somersetgull wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 21:00 Anybody that has replied on here. Meet me I'm on the popside. Block 13.

Come say it to my face.
Ah you're one of the knobs down that end with the low IQ kids trying to 'give it large'
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Who put 50p in the dickhead?
TUST member 203
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

divingbboy wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 21:38 Who put 50p in the dickhead?
Quality
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Please can we have an honest, unbiased assessment of tonight's game, I'm guessing the turning point was the red card, still a concern we've played 3 poor NLS teams now and we've yet to win convincingly,4-2 Vs 10 men for 45mins isn't a convincing win for me, who played well?, Who didn't?, 4 out of 5 league games now are tough, and Aldershot winning hasn't helped us tonight.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

We outplayed them for most of the match and for all the hype beforehand they weren't up to our level. We made a good start and witnessed a goal of the season from De Silva who was outstanding down his flank. He'd already beaten his marker so many times on the outside that the poor fella, in trying to block that route, gave him all the space he wanted to cut inside and curve a glorious shot around the keeper.

A second soon followed and their defence couldn't cope with our attacks so how we didn't score more was a mystery to me. We then lost our way after the ref had ignored a foul on one of our players and we didn't play the whistle - schoolboy stuff. We then followed this by leaving a gaping hole in the centre of our defence, 2 -2 but Taunton had already started to cut up rough and their number five then raked his studs down Evans' back to be rightly shown a straight red card.

Considering we had an extra man we didn't start the second half out of the blocks and took some time to settle. Our third was another peach of a goal, Wyatt left a defender for dead by passing the ball round him and nipping the other side to plant a cross onto the head of Jervis. We then won a penalty for deliberate handball and after the defender had writhed around for a while Jervis was finally able to calmly send the keeper the wrong way.

We should have had more as Taunton tired towards the end.

Lawrence looked composed and had a good and solid start but while being ok neither Aguiar nor Crole set my pulse racing.

That's two competitive wins on the bounce.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Agree with Gateman we were superior for most of the match 16 attempts, 10 on target, 4 goals. Not sure how Somersetgull can say Taunton should have been 4-0 up at HT. They only had three attempts all game.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

somersetgull wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 20:27 It's an away win simple.
:rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

somersetgull wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 20:28 Absolutely outclassed as I expected.

Open your eyes now????
Glad we didn't listen to to you Stevie Wonder........ :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

somersetgull wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 22:23 As expected dancing in the streets beating a horrendous team 4-2 down to 10 men

Not 1 of.you at the game.

Shocking tonight.

Relegation from the South almost confirmed tonight next season.

I'm done again.

Tonight was embarrassing.
Praise the Lord! :clap:
Hope you mean it this time...... :whistle:

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Modgull wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 23:34 Agree with Gateman we were superior for most of the match 16 attempts, 10 on target, 4 goals. Not sure how Somersetgull can say Taunton should have been 4-0 up at HT. They only had three attempts all game.
He can't count. ;-) :rofl:

TUST Member 468

Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

I was there.

Good write-up from Gateman.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Modgull wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 23:34 . Not sure how Somersetgull can say Taunton should have been 4-0 up at HT. They only had three attempts all game.
Because he’s a dickhead that why
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Sorry to be a bit negative after a win but that defence will get us relegated.
I know the manager prefers to win 4-2
rather than 1-0 but I don't !
I know Moxey was rested , let's hope to God he's back Saturday. Against Halifax we looked solid with Moxey and Donnellan in the back three with Omar.
I don't know why Donnellan who I thought was our best player last night was moved forward to a defensive midfield position and Marshall brought in - just to give a game for his fitness I guess. Lawrence did well but I wouldn't like to see Omar, Lawrence and Marshall in a back three against Boreham Wood and Woking.
Let's get a settled defence, we have conceded two goals at home to Hampton,
Chippenham and Taunton - it shouldn't be happening !
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

This thread makes for hilarious reading. I'm off to Yeovil tomorrow for a few days, more than happy to pass on anyone's best wishes 😂
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Good comments desperado. watching last night we are 2-0 up and cruising, then it seemed a collective crisis and brain freeze settled in with the team thinking hang on we are winning, what do we do now, and then they just switched off and did not really switch back on until well into the second half, we could have more if not for inept finishing, one goal mouth event second half that seemed to go on and on was very similar to watching under 10's when everyone wanted a shot but no one knew how to do it properly. Defence is an issue that will not go away, yes, Moxey got a rest and Hall has his usual midweek off but the defence was suspect even against lower league oppoistion,we supposdely have an assistant manager who was good in that position, all I can say is he has given up on them or they are incapable of learning , as already said Lawrence has something about him and you can tell he has been coached to a far higher standard than we could offer. If possible I suggest we nick ross stearn from Taunton if just to the end of the season, by far the best player on the park last night, controlled everything, had vision and passing ability and if nothing else he and Hall could play alternate matches without the need to bed in new players for half a season.