Torquay United v Yeovil Town - 26th December 2022

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 14:18 James Durkin as ref in for a long afternoon
Unsurprisingly this came true
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Echo previous comments. Good first half, looked pretty solid and threatening in attack. Second half, way off the pace. It was like our midfield disappeared.

Also, some half hearted effort from some of the players.

Somehow we need to sign some real quality to help get out of this mess.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

486 away fans is pretty pathetic support,

Two pants sides, we didn’t lose, roll on New Year’s Day!
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

thebigp1 wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 17:53 Completely deflated by that performance today. First half we were pretty decent and could have been more than 1 up at half time. Yeovil offered very little and we had a few good chances.

Second half however was a complete shambles. Their 2 subs and change of formation completely destroyed us as we gave away chance after chance. We were lucky to get a point. The most frustrating thing was there was no reaction from the management to Yeovil’s changes. The goal we conceded was so inept from a defensive point of view. The players and GJ moaned at the ref at the end and whilst the ref wasn’t great it wasn’t him that cost us the points.

I see no way out of this mess. I have to say also the subs that came on offered nothing. Corrie Andrews is clearly overweight and doesn’t look fit enough.
Got to agree. No plan B and as soon as it started breaking down GJ and Aaron Clownes seemed lost for answers. Clownes does his usual blaming the fourth official and takes no responsibility for being useless. A very weak bench today made worse by Andrews whose place on the bench is best reserved for the water bottles. One dimensional, slow, blunt approach with only a few bright sparks of Jarvis and occasionally Wearne. Now we are also without the idiot Crowe who deserved what he got and Ellis who didn't.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

A game of two halfs, first half,although they had a high press and I thought we did very well and seemed fairly competant although we never had that killer pass, I thought goodwin had one one his quietier games , their full back gave him a hard physical afternoon. Halstead had, I hope his one dodgy game, I think he chose the wrong boots, flailing at crosses and his positional was weird at times. second half well what ever johnson said to the team at the interval he shouldnt have bothered because we were poor, they played through our midfield and their two subs made all the difference up front, yet again crowe was appalling, no that was an understatement , he was rubbish, de silva spent most of the game covering the shortcomings of his fullback , at least I do not have to worry about crowe at yeovil, I hope ellis is not injured , he was huge today, not so much his goal but throwing himself at the ball to save a certain winner for yeovil.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

culmstockgull wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 18:32 A game of two halfs, first half,although they had a high press and I thought we did very well and seemed fairly competant although we never had that killer pass, I thought goodwin had one one his quietier games , their full back gave him a hard physical afternoon. Halstead had, I hope his one dodgy game, I think he chose the wrong boots, flailing at crosses and his positional was weird at times. second half well what ever johnson said to the team at the interval he shouldnt have bothered because we were poor, they played through our midfield and their two subs made all the difference up front, yet again crowe was appalling, no that was an understatement , he was rubbish, de silva spent most of the game covering the shortcomings of his fullback , at least I do not have to worry about crowe at yeovil, I hope ellis is not injured , he was huge today, not so much his goal but throwing himself at the ball to save a certain winner for yeovil.
I had a chat with Goodwin the other day and from what I gathered Stoke will not be keeping him here next month. To be honest I don’t blame them, I think in a 4-3-3 he’d be a far better option than Jarvis, with Evans allowed to advance. How many times has our midfield been overrun this season? We were lucky to get a point today in the end.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

culmstockgull wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 18:32 A game of two halfs, first half,although they had a high press and I thought we did very well and seemed fairly competant although we never had that killer pass, I thought goodwin had one one his quietier games , their full back gave him a hard physical afternoon. Halstead had, I hope his one dodgy game, I think he chose the wrong boots, flailing at crosses and his positional was weird at times. second half well what ever johnson said to the team at the interval he shouldnt have bothered because we were poor, they played through our midfield and their two subs made all the difference up front, yet again crowe was appalling, no that was an understatement , he was rubbish, de silva spent most of the game covering the shortcomings of his fullback , at least I do not have to worry about crowe at yeovil, I hope ellis is not injured , he was huge today, not so much his goal but throwing himself at the ball to save a certain winner for yeovil.
Bit harsh on Halstead who made 2 or 3 fantastic saves in the 2nd half

Same a month or so ago when Marshall got sent off, Crowe is poor, we are better without but certainly could do with Ellis not being injured. However looked a bad hamstring injury and at his age that is a major concern!
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Admiral wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 18:40 I had a chat with Goodwin the other day and from what I gathered Stoke will not be keeping him here next month. To be honest I don’t blame them, I think in a 4-3-3 he’d be a far better option than Jarvis, with Evans allowed to advance. How many times has our midfield been overrun this season? We were lucky to get a point today in the end.
Might be an upopular opinion but i think we can do better than Goodwin, good work ethic but end product is minimal
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Same Ole Same ole as another 6 pointer ends in disaster. Lucky to get a point and if it had not been for Halstead shot stopping it would have
been another defeat. It is as simple as that. No point in singling out the players who are not up for it.
Outplayed second half. Outfought no surprise there. Another repeat performance .
Clueless Johnson has not even got the nous to switch wings for De Silva and Wearne to try and make things happen zzz

Fact is P24 W4 D7 L13 GD -19 PTS 19
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Admiral wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 18:17 486 away fans is pretty pathetic support,

Two pants sides, we didn’t lose, roll on New Year’s Day!
What a ridiculous comment to make. In case you didn't realise Admiral we are going through a major cost of living crisis and it's boxing day for f*** sake. Well done Yeovil supporters and also Well done to the 3,400 Torquay supporters for turning up to watch 2 very poor teams.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Yellow6 wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 18:23 Got to agree. No plan B and as soon as it started breaking down GJ and Aaron Clownes seemed lost for answers. Clownes does his usual blaming the fourth official and takes no responsibility for being useless. A very weak bench today made worse by Andrews whose place on the bench is best reserved for the water bottles. One dimensional, slow, blunt approach with only a few bright sparks of Jarvis and occasionally Wearne. Now we are also without the idiot Crowe who deserved what he got and Ellis who didn't.
Not even sure we have a Plan A
Crowe cannot defend does not even know what goal side of his man is...or he would not have been sent off...suicide defending
For those that have not seen the Gaffers thoughts on the game.
The points are the same as always
1...criticise the referee as always
2...The boys are disappointed...as always......really.
3...Appreciated comment as always at the end...... thanking our very own wet weekend in Blackpool man who asks the questions
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

DevonBee wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 19:25 Not even sure we have a Plan A
Crowe cannot defend does not even know what goal side of his man is...or he would not have been sent off...suicide defending
For those that have not seen the Gaffers thoughts on the game.
The points are the same as always
1...criticise the referee as always
2...The boys are disappointed...as always......really.
3...Appreciated comment as always at the end...... thanking our very own wet weekend in Blackpool man who asks the questions
Don't forget....
4...."There's a few among them who aren't quite at the level they should be....but they will be."
What? When will they be at the level Gary?...and if they are not there now, will they ever be? Same weak excuses.
All where I was agreed we got away with a point.....and get rid of Andrews.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Yellow6 wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 19:38 Don't forget....
4...."There's a few among them who aren't quite at the level they should be....but they will be."
What? When will they be at the level Gary?...and if they are not there now, will they ever be? Same weak excuses.
All where I was agreed we got away with a point.....and get rid of Andrews.
Fully agree the interviews are tedious and boring. Weak excuses as you say.
No doubt the Rose Tinted that did not attend will think differently.
Andrews a Massive mistake, overweight, totally unfit, offers SFA and is a total embarrassment.....return so far zero goals ! :red:
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I'm puzzled by Gary Johnson's post match verdict,blaming the officials is completely boring and making excuses,2nd half was bad,players were found out months ago,this lot are bad, really bad,we can all see where this is is ending up,if it wasn't for Halstead today we would of lost,I've said on record have we geared it up for the NLS next session, because it sure does feel that way,as for nearly 500 Yeovil fans in attendance,with the country skint etc,that's not bad away support.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

In the first half there was only one team in the match and it was Torquay United. We looked determined and Yeovil, despite having some man mountains, were very poor and their fans very quiet. Mark Ellis scored on 20 minutes with a header which crept in after hitting the inside of the post at the Babbacombe end.

At Half Time Yeovil brought on 2 strikers in Linton and Fisher and the game changed completely. Ben Wyatt did well returning after a long time out injured but sadly neither of our strikers got any change out of the Yeovil defence.

De Silva got very little service the whole match. When Andrews came on he gifted Yeovil a scoring opportunity with a shocking pass and only the
experience of Halstead saved us.

Wearne had several good runs but we just lack enough quality all over the pitch. Ellis will be out for some weeks because he was limping badly when he went off with a hamstring injury near the end.

Crowe is not a defender and we have to find a competent right back and quickly. This must surely be a priority.

Our best Home League gate of 3,805 witnessed another battle but I am getting seriously worried now with just 1 home win all season.

We need at least 3 really experienced players to come in during January to make the difference failing which I think we are doomed.