Torquay United v Chesterfield Sat12 Nov KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Torquay United v Chesterfield Sat12 Nov KO 3pm

Post by portugull »

United entertain Chesterfield who are riding high in 3rd spot in the NL.

This will be a tough game for the Gulls our 3rd game in 7 days.

Chesterfield are on a good run but in Sept they lost 2-1 at Eastleigh and drew 2-2 at Yeovil so they are beatable but we just cannot seem to defend and our last clean sheet was on 13th August when Mark Halstead played a blinder.

On a positive note we have scored 15 goals in our last 4 Home games including our 2 against Derby County last Sunday.

I am going for a 2-2 draw with Jarvis and Goodwin to score.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

A draw would be a good result here

1-1 Goodwin
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

A draw would be a great result tomorrow,esp after our fixture program of late,Hall,Lapslie,Ellis etc must be feeling it,so a draw would be good.Chesterfield are more than decent,Jeff King their go to man of late,my heart says 2-2,but think we'll get beat 3-1.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

I’m expecting today to be really tough. Will have to be a better performance then we put in against Dorking as I don’t see Chesterfield giving us the chances they did. Would be definitely take a point.
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

See from team news line up same as Dorking ...but Corie Andrews named o bench a forward!!! Just hope he's fit
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

I knew today would be tough but that was simply unacceptable. We didn’t compete and we’re outplayed all game. A reminder of where we are as a side.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I dont know how anyone seriously thought we would get anything out of this game. A useless team who have played loads of games of late against a top side who havnt had a game for a week and a half.

The players were clearly knackered on wednesday so 48 hours later Johnson puts out the same 11 yet again - I'm mean what an absolute idiot.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

Small squad with a lot of long term injuries
Have to wonder about the medicals before players are signed
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Although I agree with the statement that putting out the same team 48 hours later was interesting, as was letting Hall virtually the whole match, I thought the main difference was they took their chances and we didn't.
Their sub comes on, gets a chance and you know he'll score. Our sub came on, gets a chance and you knew he'd miss.
We didn't deserve to lose 5-1.
Goodwin is a bit of a strange one, obviously needs constant motivation from the touchline. Is capable of burying chances and missing easy ones.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

For me,it's a shame the Dorking game didn't get rained off,due to the fixture pile up,I kinda had a hunch this might happen,it's a loss,we move on,Derby Tues all of a sudden becomes a game in which you wonder if we could of done without it.im surprised,but not and Johnson's starting XI today,I've said it for ages,the players he's dropped or are out of favour are piss poor and the NL is way beyond them,hence why he's selecting the same XI from midweek,but they're knackered out.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

We certainly competed alright bigp1 , we just weren't good enough! Their finishing was top drawer absolutely clinical apart the last goal where we gave it away - McGavin? Sorry if it wasn't but not surprised if it was.
Chesterfield looked a very good side, they Notts County and Wrexham are way ahead of the rest.
I didn't think we were particularly poor today, but second best in passing it, keeping it, and quickness to the ball.
We are so noticeably slower than the opposition in nearly every game , don't think it's just because we have had so many games lately either though that hasn't helped.
Thought Jarvis was excellent again today,
we can all see where the two problem areas are though.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Our 4th game in 12 days and after a good first half when we did really well to compete with a fresh Chesterfield side who were better than us in every department it was therefore no surprise to see us lose 1-5. In 9 Home League games it is 1 win, 3 draws and 5 defeats. 18 goals for and 24 against.

It does not need a genius to see we are shocking at defending. Donnellan and Crowe are not full backs.

Today we had 5 very inexperienced players up against a Football League class team of experienced Professionals.

Ness, Crowe, De Silva, Wearne and Goodwin are very inexperienced and it shows.

Our 2 principal strikers, Jarvis and Goodwin, have played 33 games between them but very few goals. 5 for Goodwin and 4 for Jarvis 3 in one match v Aldershot.

We are in big trouble.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Just got back from a depressing game. Were we 4 goals worse than Chesterfield? Yes, I think we were!.

We started poorly - I don't think we got out of our half before they scored with a back post header from a corner on 8 minutes. We then clawed our way back into the game and levelled through de Silva on the half hour. There was a brief period where we put them under pressure and Wearne had a glorious chance to put us ahead but his header was at a perfect height to allow the keeper to save. At half time we had had four attempts, three on target and one goal and it was all to play for.

The second half was frankly shocking. Not for the first time in recent games we defended deep at a corner after four minutes leaving Chesterfield players unmarked on the edge of the area to exchange passes and fire in a good long-range shot. I lost count of the number of times we left players unmarked in this area and eight minutes later a similar strike put us three down and effectively out of the game.

Twenty minutes later another long range shot left Halstead with no chance to save and just when it didn't seem like it could get any worse, Tshimanga came on as he returned from injury. You just knew he would score against our static defence and so it proved - another well-taken goal.

Chesterfield were clinical in their finishing and would have had more if they had not overplayed at times. In contrast we had 6 attempts in the second half but only one on target.

What do these guys do in training? Do they just kick the ball into the air as far as possible? When we had the ball there was no space and we were immediately closed down. When they had it there were huge spaces all over the park. Why? Because instead of lobbing the ball forward at every opportunity they continued to play pass and run football, taking our midfield out of the game.

Do I think we will be relegated? Probably not but there seems to be a growing gap between the skill levels and tactics of the better teams and those at the bottom of this league. We really have to start winning against the poorer sides but just accept we will not be able to compete with the likes of Wrexham, Chesterfield and Notts County.
Last edited by Modgull on 12 Nov 2022, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

Got to agree. What do they do all week to then produce that kind of garbage on a Saturday. Get rid of Aaron Clownes Who seems to have absolutely no idea about teaching a team to defend. He is a puppet and spends all his time moaning at somebody else because he can’t do his job. Too slow with no ideas. Change it now.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

And….what has happened to Scott Smith???