Torquay United v Chesterfield Sat12 Nov KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Yellow6 wrote: 12 Nov 2022, 19:21 And….what has happened to Scott Smith???
Great question - I’d have sooner seen Smith start if Hall / Lapsie this week given the intensity of the game. Too many loans?

Thompson isn’t getting a look in - makes me wonder what scouting actually occurs prior to signing. Again, loan issue with numbers I presume.

More importantly we’ve got to sort our game out - so inconsistent and defensive errors are beginning in the midfield and ending with absolute basic failures at the back. The absence of Moxey is being felt.

Crowe is promising but not really up to it yet and Donnellan has shown positive signs but doesn’t strike me as a natural fullback.

How long are Moxey, Wyatt, Martin, Evans out for?
Last edited by Bristol_Gull on 12 Nov 2022, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

I spoke with Martin a couple of weeks ago and he said three or four months due to a serious ankle ligament injury needing surgery so will only be back in the New Year
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Always knew that today was going to be tough didn't we. Chesterfield have spent the dosh, play football on the grass. They proved that they were
superior, faster, tougher and far more street wise than us. I am fed up with hoofball and 100mph football.
Defending has to start at the top, central midfield we have Laps who will run like a clockwork mouse all day and night, but his final ball often
leaves a lot to be desired. Hall well I am lost for words. A central midfielder who can tackle and stop the oposition and put his bloody foot on the ball
I will write to Santa, but my worry is by December it will be too late ! Mc Gavin cameo, what a waste of time. We got what we deserved, when you
allow the opposition time and space and don't close down. get goal side or tackle...all the basics then sadly it is going to be a long hard slog.
Recent results have papered over the cracks, if you let in 3 goals plus a game your'e in trouble, and we are.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

Why is it that every time from the kick off we pass it straight back to a centre half who then hoofs it up to the opposition midfield who then proceed to play it out from the back like a proper football team.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Glad others have noticed the ridiculous kick off routine. To be fair though, we are getting plenty of practice in games. Six times today? All of which used the same tactic, and only once did it remotely work.
What's the point in playing ithe ball back and launching it in the hope that 2 or 3 of our players may head it on, to no one. It's never worked and doesn't look likely to, just gives the play back to our opponents.
I can't remember any other side doing it, they all seem to try to build from kickoff and get some possession going at the start of a game.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Has Scott Smith returned to Wigan?,far to many loans in the books, however,if it wasn't for Da Silva,Ness and Ellis it could be even worse.I always worry about signing players who've got that losing mentality,that's not a pop at them,but it doesn't give me a lot of hope,plus this is the biggest thing for me,all our summer recruitment was getting players released by south east based NL teams,why weren't the likes of Woking,Bromley,Barnet, Borehamwood etc signing these players??, geographically there's a load of clubs within 80 miles of London,but none of them wanted Johnson's summer signings.I do think we'll stay up,but we need to ship out a load and esp the sicknotes.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

I’m afraid I don’t share others opinions that we will probably stay up. I think the Aldershot and Derby games gave us a glimmer of hope that things have changed but the Dorking and Chesterfield games show the same problems are there.

Yes we are only 3 points away from Maidstone in 20th but looking a bit further up the table we are 6 points off Aldershot, 7 from Altrincham, 9 from Wealdstone. These are the kind of teams we will need to overtake or at least get level on. That’s a lot of points we need to make up given we’re nearly halfway through the season. Unfortunately I think it’s more likely we go down then stay up at this stage.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 12 Nov 2022, 22:59 Has Scott Smith returned to Wigan?,far to many loans in the books, however,if it wasn't for Da Silva,Ness and Ellis it could be even worse.I always worry about signing players who've got that losing mentality,that's not a pop at them,but it doesn't give me a lot of hope,plus this is the biggest thing for me,all our summer recruitment was getting players released by south east based NL teams,why weren't the likes of Woking,Bromley,Barnet, Borehamwood etc signing these players??, geographically there's a load of clubs within 80 miles of London,but none of them wanted Johnson's summer signings.I do think we'll stay up,but we need to ship out a load and esp the sicknotes.
I saw SMITH at the game yesterday after full-time. Is he injured?? or is there another issue with him??? Get him playing to ease the burden.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

As previously said by others only 5 loans allowed in match squad so as we had Ellis, Ness, Goodwin , De Silva and Wearne he unluckily misses out. Don't think Wigan will be happy though.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Excuses, excuses, excuses. That's what many people are making regarding the plight that Torquay United find themselves in. Firstly they blame the squad isn't good enough and is to small. Please remember that it is Gary Johnson who assembled this shambles. In the past few weeks we have added 4 loan signings to " strengthen" the squad and now we have people moaning we have to many loan players. Last week against Derby we had 7 named substitutes on the bench and on Tuesday night we will probably have 7 players on the bench. In my opinion the size of the squad is big enough, we even have players out on loan!!!!! I therefore struggle to understand why so many supporters make excuses when the real problem is Gary Johnson. Last season many forum members singled out Amarni Little as being a weak link, I wonder what happened to him. This season it's Asa Hall who is regularly criticised. Open your eyes people, Torquay United are in a serious relegation battle because of one man, Gary Johnson. I expect the owner to sack Johnson after the Derby game next Tuesday.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 12 Nov 2022, 22:59 Has Scott Smith returned to Wigan?,far to many loans in the books, however,if it wasn't for Da Silva,Ness and Ellis it could be even worse.I always worry about signing players who've got that losing mentality,that's not a pop at them,but it doesn't give me a lot of hope,plus this is the biggest thing for me,all our summer recruitment was getting players released by south east based NL teams,why weren't the likes of Woking,Bromley,Barnet, Borehamwood etc signing these players??, geographically there's a load of clubs within 80 miles of London,but none of them wanted Johnson's summer signings.I do think we'll stay up,but we need to ship out a load and esp the sicknotes.
Not sure how it could be much worse. Ness and Ellis haven’t exactly shored up the defence have they and as for shipping players out ‘ especially the sick notes’ who do you think is going to want them?
I admire your optimism in thinking we will stay up but personally I can see no evidence whatsoever that that will be the case.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

dawlishmatt wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 12:44 Excuses, excuses, excuses. That's what many people are making regarding the plight that Torquay United find themselves in. Firstly they blame the squad isn't good enough and is to small. Please remember that it is Gary Johnson who assembled this shambles. In the past few weeks we have added 4 loan signings to " strengthen" the squad and now we have people moaning we have to many loan players. Last week against Derby we had 7 named substitutes on the bench and on Tuesday night we will probably have 7 players on the bench. In my opinion the size of the squad is big enough, we even have players out on loan!!!!! I therefore struggle to understand why so many supporters make excuses when the real problem is Gary Johnson. Last season many forum members singled out Amarni Little as being a weak link, I wonder what happened to him. This season it's Asa Hall who is regularly criticised. Open your eyes people, Torquay United are in a serious relegation battle because of one man, Gary Johnson. I expect the owner to sack Johnson after the Derby game next Tuesday.
Fully agree Johnson has assembled this shambles and is trying to firefight his way out of trouble with clueless hoofball. When part timers are
outplaying us football wise it shows how far we have fallen sadly.
Armani Little...well he is hardly pulling up any trees at Forest Green, they were 2-0 down at home yesterday and he entered the fielsd from the subs bench on 88 minutes...so guess that tells you what the FG manager thinks of him !
Halls legs have gone, thanks for all but GJ doing him no favours in selecting him....Take a loan out of yesterdays choice and play Smith if he is fit.
Marshall on the bench ahead of Omar ???? Why ?
Neil Warnock appearance an interesting one....could he be the answer short term ? Or has he nothing better to do ?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

It's not the centre of defence that's the problem its defensively out wide and midfield.
The 3rd and 4th goals - great finishes but we give them far too much room to shoot. Donnelan doesn't mark his man properly for the first headed goal ,and apologies to McGavin it was Ness who pokes an awful ball across midfield for the fifth.
If we don't beat Gateshead in two weeks I can't see much hope, not far off needing a win every other game to get 50 points.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

desperado wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 14:24 It's not the centre of defence that's the problem its defensively out wide and midfield.
This should be glaringly obvious to most. Crowe a'int no full-back and like Donnellan, aside from being 12th man utility players I'm not sure what their position is or should be. Moxey and Martin are the obvious choices but what to do when injury prevails. Halls legs will not carry him through every game and Lapslie whilst an admirable workaholic is not creative enough for me. But McGavin and Hanson appear no better? When playing 5 loanee's and would play 6 if we could, you know the initial recruitment was all wrong. If we can hang onto the loanee's for the season I think we could make a workable and winning team.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Any defence will crumble under complete pressure regardless of how good they are, we are short of two dedicated full backs due to various injuries, midfield to me is our issue and one we are stuck with , while lapslie acts like the preverbial duracell bunny and hall reads the game well they cannot do the job on their own, the so called wingbacks are not by definition wingbacks but something Johnson wants to convert them to, the service yesterday to the front two was poor to non existent especially so against a top three side. We have a group of Johnsons pick and mix signings that are not up to this league but as already mentioned by others, who wants them, the queue for their services is very small. We are where we are, a very poor side, who will do to survive relegation.