Torquay Utd v Aldershot Town - Tue 01/11/22 7.45pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 17:12 Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Nowhere in my comments did I say that Uncle Clarke has to pay 100% of the wages of any loan players. Please SNW point out to me where you posted if " you actually knew if he was paying for all of the wages ". Mrs Dawlish reckons it must be something in the Yorkshire water supply. After all Er indoors was born and spent the first 20 years of her life living in Scarborough. When she has a " Blonde moment" ( no disrespect to Blonde people) she often puts it down to her childhood and the funny tasting water. She must be right, she married me !!!!!!
You said "pick up the tab....."
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

And pick up the tab means??? Mutt wrong!!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 17:24 You said "pick up the tab....."
OK SNW because I love you so much I'll explain the loan process in simple terms. Player A has recently signed a 2 year contract with Portsmouth and is paid £2,000 a week. Player A can't get into the Portsmouth first team and therefore agrees to join Torquay on a month's loan. Because Player A is still under contract with Portsmouth, he is paid in full £2,000 per week. Because Player A is now on loan to Torquay, both his parent club and his loan club come to an arrangement that for example Portsmouth pay £1,300 and Torquay pay the remaining £ 700. Player A cannot be paid more or less money than his contract states.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

dawlishmatt wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 17:12 .... I'll explain the loan process in simple terms. Player A has recently signed a 2 year contract with Portsmouth and is paid £2,000 a week. Player A can't get into the Portsmouth first team and therefore agrees to join Torquay on a month's loan. Because Player A is still under contract with Portsmouth, he is paid in full £2,000 per week. Because Player A is now on loan to Torquay......
Who is Player A? We haven't got anybody by that name??????
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

gateman49 wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 22:47 Who is Player A? We haven't got anybody by that name??????
He's the younger brother of player B who plays for Liverpool.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 19:15 Great win last evening,very surprised as I thought we'd lose,so fair play,6-1 is emphatic,never saw it coming, don't think any fan did!,I'm not trying to be negative,but all the loan players gets me, they aren't and probably never will be our players,I still believe it papers over the cracks,and Johnson's recruitment in the summer was piss poor,it's needed the players from last season to really dig him out of a hole,add to that a few decent loan signings,what's going to happen when they leave I'm not so sure?,maybe Ellis will return on a permanent basis?,Omar will be released soon I reckon,Halstead is a solid keeper and just needed a confidence boost,think Marshall,Donnellan,McGavin,Hanson,Andrews ALL need shipping out,I'd worry a bit playing Ellis,Moxey,Hall, Lapslie all the time as they need protecting from age/Injury's,but all of them are solid, quality pros esp at this level,Goodwin and Jarvis are a working progress for me,I may get pelters for this,but not entirely sure about either of them to net 20 a season for me,it's a lot more positive after last night,but still a heck of a lot of work to do,but the spine of the team looked a lot better,and formation was right
crikey, you like commas.

anyway - recruitment has (thus far) not been shown to be a massive success, although I maintain that the majority of these players will be decent, certainly next season. We've already seen that Jarvis is clearly a player to be reckoned with at this level - i think with a good pre-season and luck with injuries, he could definitely be a 20 goal a season guy. Donnellan was a revelation at right back the other night. Hanson has had issues following concussion so for me it's too soon to write him off entirely (and I believe we actually paid a fee for him so presumably he's on at least 2 years) - and since he came in I've assumed that the club view him as the long-term replacement for Asa Hall. We've not seen enough of Andrews to say, although the first 20 minutes vs Oldham were encouraging, and if Goodwin does go back in January we'll need him. Marshall is a bit of a mentalist but we've looked more secure with him than with Omar.

On the loan side, yes - I think we have 7 or 8 with us right now, and given that we can only include 5 in any matchday squad, that's too many. I would not be at all surprised if at least one of those ends up being permanent - Mark Ellis is 34/35 now, and probably not going to break back into the Barrow team, so a contract till at least the end of the season might be doable. Wearne clearly likes it here, and he's not playing at Grimsby, so depending on what sort of deal he's on there he might be persuaded to come here under contract as well.

Goodwin, Evans and I think Scott Smith are all loaned till at least January. Goodwin is great, we should try to keep him - but Stoke might look at getting him league experience in the new year. Evans was starting to look pretty decent until his injury so I'd like to seem him stay once recovered. Feels like Smith could be odd man out, despite not really having done anything wrong.

We'll want to keep Da Silva beyond his initial loan, although I don't know whether that was month or longer. Ness has made a good impression so far, but despite his rushes of blood to the head, Marshall should be good enough (especially if he does have Ellis alongside him), so I'd not be surprised to see Ness return home sooner. I think Okoli has been sent back.

If you look at the players we signed last summer, the majority of them are young players who should improve - especially given Gary Johnson's record. It sucks when players bugger off elsewhere, but all of Little, Cameron, Whitfield, Nemane, MacDonald improved greatly while here (even Umerah and Waters seem to have kicked on, although hard to say if being with us helped) - it's reasonably to expect at some improvement from players like Jarvis, Andrews, Crowe, Hanson and Marshall. You only have to look to Dan Martin to see that rarely is the situation totally unrescuable.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

brucie wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 09:29 Crowe impressed me in the Altrincham game. Maybe he isnt that good defensively but he looked excellent going forward - With Da Silva being deployed on the right the two of them could be a potent combination offensively.
Yeah, agree with you here.

I'm as shocked as you about this.

I don't remember if I've ever brought this up here but I'd not be surprised to see Crowe being a winger more often than a defender. He had a very impressive youth career as right back/right wing back but in those levels if you have enough pace you're rarely going to get caught out defensively. That's not the case in professional 'grown up' football and I think it's taking some getting used to. But we saw enough vs Altrincham to suggest that he can be a real threat going forward, which is helpful if one of Da Silva/Wearne leave after after their initial loan period
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 18:55 OK SNW because I love you so much I'll explain the loan process in simple terms. Player A has recently signed a 2 year contract with Portsmouth and is paid £2,000 a week. Player A can't get into the Portsmouth first team and therefore agrees to join Torquay on a month's loan. Because Player A is still under contract with Portsmouth, he is paid in full £2,000 per week. Because Player A is now on loan to Torquay, both his parent club and his loan club come to an arrangement that for example Portsmouth pay £1,300 and Torquay pay the remaining £ 700. Player A cannot be paid more or less money than his contract states.
I know how the loan system works.... :}
I'm still waiting for you to explain "picking up the tab" - because in my experience and in general, that means paying for it all.
And you still havent told us how you actually know that CO is actually paying it all or indeed anything.
Guesswork there on your part me thinks.....
I'll now give you and example.
Barnsley are currently loaning a player out to a non-league team and are continuing to pay all his wages.
I know that as a fact.
That is "picking up the tab."
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468