Notts County v Torquay United Sat 29 Oct KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

Ok maybe Fred, Bernie or even Dave ?
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

bobbytanz1963 wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 10:37 Ok maybe Fred, Bernie or even Dave ?
Do you mean Dave or Trigg on the Forum ?
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

This site has made for such gloomy reading for some weeks now, it makes me depressed just reading it! Can I recommend this excellent report from someone who was actually there yesterday. Yes it's realistic but balanced and certainly made me feel better:

https://torquaytalk.com/2022/10/30/tt-m ... n-elliott/
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 10:16 Yet still only one person could come up with a suggestion. Everyone can say the manager has to go but it's not our job to suggest a replacement?

Simple enough isn't it?
I blame Covid lockdowns. To many fans filled the void with the virtual game 'Football Manager' setting off pyrotechics in their bedrooms having got Torquay to the final of Champions League by beating Real Madrid 5-0. Now they believe United play in a interactive fantasy world where everything is possible.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

MellowYellow wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 11:37 I blame Covid lockdowns. To many fans filled the void with the virtual game 'Football Manager' setting off pyrotechics in their bedrooms having got Torquay to the final of Champions League by beating Real Madrid 5-0. Now they believe United play in a interactive fantasy world where everything is possible.
I think most Torquay fans are realistic. However, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to say we are massively underperforming and shouldn’t be the worst side in the national league.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Paul Tisdale please
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

It was only last April that we destroyed Notts County 5-1 , just shows how much we miss Little and Lemon who scored all 5 that day.
Is Jarvis back for Tuesday anyone know?
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

He should be, just one match ban i think.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Paul Wotton
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

bobbytanz1963 wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 10:37 Ok maybe Fred, Bernie or even Dave ?
The emphasis on BASSETT
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

Why speculate on a new manager this will only happen IF GJ decides to walk away. He won’t be sacked by the board he is tooo entrenched in the club, He will go on his terms

We haven’t got a hands on Chairman and a small elite board as such so we will carry on staring NLS fully in the face and becoming a part time club.

Does a returning player EVER make a good job of managing a club ? Be interesting to see if any names are forthcoming ? It’s like the return of prodigal sons as players very few successes
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Just to support budegull1954 and his comment about the Match Report on Torquay Talk by Dan Elliott. Well worth a read.Excellent Report.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Trying to look for positives....
With Jarvis returning and the promising
and impressive De Silva out wide and Ellis strengthening the defence I am hopeful of
a slow improvement.
Could do with a left back and another midfielder but surely we can cause Aldershot some problems, they've had a dead cat bounce but they are no Notts County.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I believe that Johnson, albeit reluctantly and not without a lot of kicking and scratching is starting to listen to what we have to say, the temerity of those ungrateful fans who travelled to Eastleigh and had the brass neck to call him out, the nerve of them after all he had done for the club, but that small minority were right, and maybe should have been said a month before.
Johnson is stuck in his ways, he is a pensioner for goodness sake, he isnt going to take to new ways of doing things unless someone actually hits him with a piece of four be two first, hence his unbreakable belief in the wingback system even when we technically do not possess any,no worries we will just cobble a couple together.
These latest three loans are the last throw of the dice both for the manager and the club, if nothing changes for the better in terms of points the club will have to out him no matter what we think, I do not believe they would blindingly take us down just to reduce the wages and travelling costs.
As a matter of policy the club never seem to announce a new player until an hour before kick off and it would not surprise me if we did the same with a new manager, I will certainly be scanning Bristows Tuesday night for known managerial faces.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Maybe the Board aren’t sacking Gary because they back him to do the job he’s paid to do, and that they see a vastly experienced manager at this level who is managing a team decimated by injuries and suspensions, and is seeing decisions going against us.

Maybe the board are backing Gary because he’s still got the confidence of the players and the dressing room. We lack experience, yes, but that’s because most of those that have it are injured or suspended. A lot is made of the reaction of Asa last week when he was substituted…..that to me shows two things, one that he wants to play for the club/Gary and two, Gary knows what he’s doing. I mean, the sub he brought on scored with his first touch, so it wasn’t the worst sub in the world!

It’s not great being a Torquay fan right now, but if Gary wasn’t our manager and it was announced tomorrow he was going to be appointed as our manager, we’d all be delighted, because of his ability as a manager and experience at this level.

The signings made yesterday will probably be our last throw of the dice but Ellis can only be a good addition with his experience.

It’s going to be an interesting few months!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com