Notts County v Torquay United Sat 29 Oct KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

DevonBee wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 18:15 Moxey and Ellis were subbed (not good for Omar confidence) and cannot really see the
point in saving the pair with 5 minutes left unless they were both injured tbh.
Hasn't it dawned on you that with a more winnable game coming up so fast it's a wise decision to rest aging weary legs when the game has already passed us by?

Too eager to crucify a great manager with a proven track record.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Southampton Gull wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 18:25 Hasn't it dawned on you that with a more winnable game coming up so fast it's a wise decision to rest aging weary legs when the game has already passed us by?

:goodpost:
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Southampton Gull wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 18:25 Hasn't it dawned on you that with a more winnable game coming up so fast it's a wise decision to rest aging weary legs when the game has already passed us by?

I agree winnable games and lets hope so......ageing legs can last an extra 5 minutes.....our great manager subbed Hall last week, I am sure you saw Halls reaction to it. Our great manager with a proven track record has recruited badly this summer ....FACT.....he is now firefighting in a relegation battle from the mistakes that he and the club has made.....The past is history, as is todays result... we move on to tuesday :scarf:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

What makes me laugh is that every game is a winnable game and we inevitably end up losing it. Ellis is 35 his knee injury means he is even slower than he was when when he was half fit.

Can you tell me why you think that Aldershot is a winnable game? We are a pile of shit who cant even name a striker on the bench. Half our team is either injured or suspended. Aldershot are on the up and had an excellent win at Dorking today to follow up their victory at Yeovil. They have got a couple of excellent loanees including Frank Vincent from Notts County.

Their budget cant be any bigger than ours so tell me how they are able to attract fit for purpose loanees whilst we get old crocks or schoolboys - we havmt got a great manager. Hes won 2league games all season and they were basically flukes.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

We were dreadful. I can’t recall a single chance.

He’s got to go!!
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

thebigp1 wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 18:04 The problem with standing behind GJ and hoping we turn it round on Tuesday is the exact same things were said after the Wrexham game. Everyone was saying we had 2 must win home games against Scunthorpe and Maidenhead. Well since then nothing has changed, we’ve picked up 2 fortunate points. Results have not improved and we’ve gone into todays match just accepting defeat before it’s even started. He should have been gone after Wrexham but instead we’ve just waited and left ourselves even further behind.

Ultimately football is a results business. I’ve heard a lot of fans saying I ‘feel’ things will turn around or ‘back GJ and the team’. There is no evidence of things turning. All the statistics say otherwise. I fully accept that a change of manager might not solve anything but we have nothing to lose.
Have to agree! We keep saying this is a must win this game sadly we do not look like we will win a game in a month of sundays !
How long to we give GJ to turn this sinking ship around!
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Johnson has lost the dressing room, all tactical awareness and respect for the supporters. Pack your bags, we are down down
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

I guess we like to all think Aldershot is a winnable game, more so than today ofc
Ellis might be 35, but Moxey is 36 and probably our best player. Experience is the key in a relegation battle, not schoolboys who are frightened to
make mistakes . The Shots are on a roll for sure, but that can change hopefully.

I happen to like GJ and respect everything he has achieved in his career, I hope he can get us up the table as it is what everyone wants.
But this is his team, his signings ...and we are bottom of the league.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

DevonBee wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 18:56 I guess we like to all think Aldershot is a winnable game, more so than today ofc
Ellis might be 35, but Moxey is 36 and probably our best player. Experience is the key in a relegation battle, not schoolboys who are frightened to
make mistakes . The Shots are on a roll for sure, but that can change hopefully.

I happen to like GJ and respect everything he has achieved in his career, I hope he can get us up the table as it is what everyone wants.
But this is his team, his signings ...and we are bottom of the league.
Aldershot will be strong favourites to beat us even with us being at home. Every side will be looking forward to playing us and will se it as a decent opportunity for 3 points. I cannot see how his position is tenable.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 18:49 Have to agree! We keep saying this is a must win this game sadly we do not look like we will win a game in a month of sundays !
How long to we give GJ to turn this sinking ship around!
The problems lie far deeper than Johnson and the players. It starts at the very top, the non communication above.......Are they backing Johnson
or not ? I assume they are or he would have been gone by now. We are virtually sunday league, 4 on the bench again today, trying to patch a team together. This is a complete embarrasment
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I think GJ will have until the Dorking game to notch some points, end of November at the very latest by which point we’ll be 21 games into the season and very close to the halfway point.

We can’t really afford disruption ahead of the FA Cup tie on 6th November.

Despite my own personal wish for Gary to succeed, if we haven’t secured some points by the Chesterfield game I think his position will be untenable.

That said, I will continue to support as best as I can. We have to turn this around
Last edited by Bristol_Gull on 29 Oct 2022, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Everyone knows the Aldershot game on Tuesday is huge.

I just had a look at the Shots Form and until 2 weeks ago they had played 13 games and had 11 points from 39 and were 23rd.

Suddenly they change the Manager and although they lost 2-0 to Chelmsford in the FA Cup they win 3 League games on the bounce and shoot up to 14th.

They have a settled team and we do not.It is going to take a herculean effort this month with so many games of which 4 are Home games ( Aldershot, Dorking, Chesterfield and Gateshead)

It is a desperate situation and all we as fans can do is back the Manager and the players.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Agree with your comments regarding resting players once the game’s gone, but how long are we gonna give him?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I've not seen anyone suggest an alternative who could do better with our budget.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Southampton Gull wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 00:40 I've not seen anyone suggest an alternative who could do better with our budget.
Who could do any worse?