Notts County v Torquay United Sat 29 Oct KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 00:40 I've not seen anyone suggest an alternative who could do better with our budget.
What is our budget? If you know please tell. Is it the worst in the National League ( I very much doubt it - but we are)
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 00:40 I've not seen anyone suggest an alternative who could do better with our budget.
Do you honestly believe we have the worst budget in the league? How bad does it have to get. Are we seriously suggesting there are no alternatives to GJ. It’s nothing personal against him but this season is simply not acceptable. Yes the players seem to put the effort in but we look completely disorganised which ultimately comes down to the manager.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

I dont think the point now is about anyone doing better with the budget, its about anyone doing better with the players. I would bring in Kevin Bond who has recently left Bristol Rovers as an additional coach to bring fresh ideas and a new voice. These players need a lot of coaching to improve them and I dont think that Gary Johnson and Aaron Downes appear to be making much progress.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Southampton Gull wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 18:25 Hasn't it dawned on you that with a more winnable game coming up so fast it's a wise decision to rest aging weary legs when the game has already passed us by?

Too eager to crucify a great manager with a proven track record.

Haven’t we already had some winnable games already.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

9 games have passed since Southend and we have picked up 3 points. We had winnable back to back home games in Scunthorpe and Maidenhead and got 1 point, already feel we have left it too late!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Good finishes but the amount of time and space we give their players to line up a shot is criminal .
Thats got to stop !
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

It's not our job to come up with alternatives is it? You don't think there would be a shortage of applicants if the management post became vacant?
The fact is that is that we couldn't possibly be in a worse position after 16 games of the season, not 4 or 5, 16! We look for signs of improvement every week, there are none. If it is all down to budget then let's just accept relegation now and say we can't afford to compete in the NL shall we? Coaching, tactics, motivation and game management seem completely lacking right now.
Time for a change and let's see if someone else can get a better tune out of these players. Sadly this club seems to be happy with the status quo, i don't think even losing to Aldershot on Tuesday will make the board act. Incredible he is still in a job really.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Louis wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 07:28
Whilst I was not at the game this week, the highlights reveal what most of us have witnessed this season and it’s the ability for almost any team to breeze through our midfield and defence.

Whilst I’ve been critical of our back line over recent weeks, the reality is that our midfield are also absent which is putting all the pressure on the defensive line.

It’s shameful to see the same mistakes week in week out, not taking the shot when confidence is low is one thing, not digging in across the park is another.

It’s true what the commentators are saying - we are moving the ball around better and showing brighter spells of attacking play, but until we plug the gaps and stop teams from freely scoring against us then I can’t see anything changing.

Gary talks about the management and players watching the videos of the games, surely they can see what we all see and recognise the problems?!

What will it take to at least demonstrate some incremental improvement to our defensive play?
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

From those highlights looks like we deservedly lost

Shout out to the sniper who took down Nemane that's a quality dive
Also should have been a pen for us, their player not even looking at the ball, judging my the refs positioning throughout the highlights he wasn't up for much running!
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

A!dershot have managed to attract more than 50 applications for their vacant manager's role, so why could 't we expect a reasonable number if we had a vacancy? Of which I would expect 10% to have requisite skills and experience with working to a smaller budget - if we have a smaller budget than most 🤔
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

:goodpost:
An excellent reply . The powers that be should be the ones attempting to recruit an alternative. Let’s hope when this day arrives they will act quicker than when the comedian Owers went….How long did that take them ?
Gloomy Gull wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 09:39 A!dershot have managed to attract more than 50 applications for their vacant manager's role, so why could 't we expect a reasonable number if we had a vacancy? Of which I would expect 10% to have requisite skills and experience with working to a smaller budget - if we have a smaller budget than most 🤔
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Thats the boards problem.
Not ours on the forum buddy
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Yet still only one person could come up with a suggestion. Everyone can say the manager has to go but it's not our job to suggest a replacement?

Simple enough isn't it?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

How about Mike Bassett, maybe he can get a tune out of them !