Torquay v Altrincham Sat 22/10/22 5.20pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

To be reliant on Asa Hall,Moxey and Lapslie says it all for me,all the others are sub standard,not up to it at all, possibly Lovett between the sticks. .1st half sounded dire,they should if netted 4, brilliant come back to take the lead through the senior players,but piss poor,rank bad defending is being punished,week in-week out,4-4 papers over it, commentator on radio Devon said "we stole a point" which sums it up.I seriously believe that we have purposely geared it up for NLS next season, nothing will convince me otherwise,lack of subs,poor signings,injury prone signings,and technically and tactically inept.Hall and Moxey can't keep getting us out of jail,I've just seen the Derby cup ticket prices have been ramped up,Osborne has got some front I'll give him that.Overall it's a point,but let's not kid ourselves,this is heading only one way
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

Not a great night for our keeper, but what on earth was the Alty keeper doing for Asa’s second? Seemed to watch it dribble past him and then fell on the floor.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

A crazy game of football, entertaining for the neutrel, we were lucky to get a point in the end after a first half horror show.
We cannot defend to save our lives. As I have said before we need an experienced hard and ugly centre half that can do basic defending.
Marshall in my mind is a car crash waiting to happen. I was concerned pre season with his slowness and shirt pulling in the friendly games. He is a yellow or a red and another poor signing who we do not need . Today was unforgiveable and it cost us.
Positives today we did not give up and credit for that..........but this week we are only papering over the cracks and we all know this.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Well I was there.
And yes we didn't defend well, but to call us inept is moronic. I saw a team that refuses to accept they're defeated. We scored 4 goals, we could of had more and yes would of conceded more, but if we can sort our defense out there is a team there.
Will get flack for this, but Marshall was clattered, and tbh he didn't do much apart from grab the guy, who then proceeded to roll around as if he's d been pole axed. Not a red card for me.
Again, maybe go support your team, rather than sit at home and moan about them.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 21:58 To be reliant on Asa Hall,Moxey and Lapslie says it all for me,all the others are sub standard,not up to it at all, possibly Lovett between the sticks. .1st half sounded dire,they should if netted 4, brilliant come back to take the lead through the senior players,but piss poor,rank bad defending is being punished,week in-week out,4-4 papers over it, commentator on radio Devon said "we stole a point" which sums it up.I seriously believe that we have purposely geared it up for NLS next season, nothing will convince me otherwise,lack of subs,poor signings,injury prone signings,and technically and tactically inept.Hall and Moxey can't keep getting us out of jail,I've just seen the Derby cup ticket prices have been ramped up,Osborne has got some front I'll give him that.Overall it's a point,but let's not kid ourselves,this is heading only one way
"The commentator on radio devon" - says it all
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Taelee73 wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 22:51 Well I was there.
And yes we didn't defend well, but to call us inept is moronic. I saw a team that refuses to accept they're defeated. We scored 4 goals, we could of had more and yes would of conceded more, but if we can sort our defense out there is a team there.
Will get flack for this, but Marshall was clattered, and tbh he didn't do much apart from grab the guy, who then proceeded to roll around as if he's d been pole axed. Not a red card for me.
Again, maybe go support your team, rather than sit at home and moan about them.
basically knee'd the bloke in the head - red card all day long
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Had to resist posting too quickly in order to get some perspective on what was a truly remarkable game.

In the first half we were appallingly bad - Alty seemed to create great chances almost at will, tearing our porous defence apart time and time again. But for Lovett we would have been four down at half-time.

The second half saw a different Gulls team - scoring early to create doubt in their opponents minds and then equalising with plenty of time to go on and take all three points. Cue Lapslie to put us ahead with his first touch of the ball.

Unfortunately we then reverted to type with the sending off and poor defending allowing Alty to equalise and then take the lead themselves. But United weren't finished and in extra, added time a fantastic strike by one of the defensive unit who almost gave the game away, levelled the score again.

In normal times I would have celebrated a wonderful game of end-to-end football with dozens of chances, eight goals, a well-saved penalty and a red card. However, we cannot ignore the reality of a side which was outplayed for large parts of the match and which still languishes at the foot of the division. We are, I'm afraid, facing the drop. No side with a defence like ours (despite two good goalkeepers and the ever-green Moxey) can expect to survive over the course of a season.

Despite his wonderful goal, Crowe is a liability at right back or wing back. Marshall is a red card waiting to happen and spends more time wrestling his opponents than playing football, Okoli is lacking in experience and Omar struggles when sides play on the ground.

They are not helped by a midfield which lacks the pace evident in most of the teams we have faced. McGavin and, in previous games, Hanson are ponderous and lacking in vision.

There are still some bright points though - Jarvis and Goodwin are a handful up front but lack good service from midfield, Evans (before his injury) and Smith started to inject some pace into midfield and we have experience in Hall and Moxey.

Nevertheless, we will face plenty of teams better than Alty later in the season and it will require some serious recruitment to alter our fortunes significantly.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Anyone know how long Wyatt and Martin are out for? We could do with going to a back 4 with Moxey in the centre, partnered by either Omar or Tomlinson. Why not give him a go? Not convinced by Okoli but he’s only 18/19. We could do with a Gary Warren type player who’s sitting on the bench at a L2 club.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Admiral wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 08:29 Anyone know how long Wyatt and Martin are out for? We could do with going to a back 4 with Moxey in the centre, partnered by either Omar or Tomlinson. Why not give him a go? Not convinced by Okoli but he’s only 18/19. We could do with a Gary Warren type player who’s sitting on the bench at a L2 club.
Always felt Ben Gerring and Mark Ellis could do a job for us in this current team
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Enzo wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 22:30 Not a great night for our keeper, but what on earth was the Alty keeper doing for Asa’s second? Seemed to watch it dribble past him and then fell on the floor.
I was behind that goal and it was a slight miss hit that completely wrong footed him
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Neither Ben Gerring or Mark Ellis appear to have played a single game in 2022/23 season.

Ellis is on a 2 year contract at Barrow to June 2023.

Would either be match fit?
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

portugull wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 10:11 Neither Ben Gerring or Mark Ellis appear to have played a single game in 2022/23 season.

Ellis is on a 2 year contract at Barrow to June 2023.

Would either be match fit?
I doubt it'd take too much to bring them up to it given the position and at least they will stick their head on a ball which Omar seemed incapable of yesterday from the free kick that led to one of the goals. From what I saw yesterday half the problem with some of the players is their lack of experience, ability to read the game and their judgement. Those things arent going to turn around quickly
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Admiral wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 08:29 Anyone know how long Wyatt and Martin are out for? We could do with going to a back 4 with Moxey in the centre, partnered by either Omar or Tomlinson. Why not give him a go? Not convinced by Okoli but he’s only 18/19. We could do with a Gary Warren type player who’s sitting on the bench at a L2 club.
Dan Martin - knee ligament issue
Ben Wyatt - fractured ankle

They will both be out for a while

someone suggesting Gerring - huge no thank-you - signed for Weymouth a couple weeks ago
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

United in Devon:I suffer with not fantastic vision,hence why I my reliance on the radio for last night,I feel the general opinion was that we nicked a point, we'll take it,I respect your views,100% I do,you were there,live watching the game,for sure,we didn't give up,hence the draw,I get that,but I stand by my post, tactically we are set up wrong,and technically weren't up to it.Sometimes the most glaringly obvious point gets missed,but of last night's team,8 or 9 if them are new additions to the team from last year,you simply cannot make that many changes,esp free signings/loans throw them together and expect anything other than what is happening, maybe I should of posted defensively Inept,but we are shocking individually or as a unit,you say there's signs of a team there?,I don't know what you are seeing to say that,to be bottom after this amount of games would suggest otherwise.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You cant dispute Marshalls sending off but Taelee is spot on. Their player should have got a card for the challenge on him and it should have been our free kick for the foul. Marshall didnt knee or kick their player in the head and he clearly feigned injury.

As I say Marshall gave the ref a reason to send him off but given the officials got it completely wrong (as well as giving Altrincham most of the decisions all night) We definately deserved a point at the end.