York City v Torquay United, Saturday 8th October, 2022

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

251away supporters. Fantastic performance from the fans. What a shame the team can't show the same dedication.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

To be fair after Tuesday I did not expect anything at York. However losing becomes a habit, as does this injury list.
Bottom of the table......same old , same old......we are the laughing stock of this league.
We now have the FA Cup to look forward to !!

Safe trip back to the Yellow Army, hats off as always to each and every one of you.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

eddie6817 wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 17:01 Hate to say it but the manager has to go what do we have to lose at this point a new person with new ideas is desperately needed before the hole we dug ourselves gets any deeper.
Completely agree. I think he should have gone after Wrexham and we’ve just wasted 3 games.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Another defeat no doubt more stories of how great we played. How we are too good to go down ( Torquay podcast)
We are heading for the NLS.
This season is almost replicating the season we went down . Each game we hope and think the upturn will come but sadly as each game passes we become more adrift. The sad thing is how quickly our fortunes have changed Its hard to believe It was not that long ago we were few bad referee decisions from league football. It really is very depressing at the moment being a torquay fan.
I'm s a change of manager what we need? I just don't know! Do we give GJ a couple of more games? Will that be too long.... I need a lay down
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

I see Asa came on for the last 5 minutes. Given his form, this season, does that now mean he will be unavailable for the next 5 matches? :whistle:
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Ok, a reaction to the radio commentary only, and what a pleasant surprise to listen to a good commentary, Torquay and devon live please note which I say more in hope than expectation.
I will bow to those that attended and all praise to the 250 of you, but was it as bad as it sounded,it sounded like a training match for york, it seemed that Jarvis was wearing a torquay shirt but playing for york,we have loaned a 6'4" centre half who doesnt head a ball, we have a loan winger who seemed to be totally tied up with defensive duties and lucky to stay on the pitch, as the commentator said and I paraphrase, typical under 23, taught to pass but not how to tackle. Its tme for Hall to retire with dignity, probably our most influential player managed the last five minutes, total waste of time, it was obvious in the first ten minutes that we were being overrun and he was needed to steady the ship.
I thought this week the club would take action on the manager situation but as the days rolled on it became apparent we are stuck with this set up regardless of what it costs us.
I am now playing guess the crowd for the cup match, if we make 750 I would be surprised and at those prices I will not be one of them.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Depressing beyond belief - a close defeat seems harder to take than a thrashing. At 0-0 Jarvis is through on goal and doesnt score. Then a goalkeeper error loses us the match.

Just as Tuesday night we find a way to lose when we nearly won it. Unfortunately losing becomes a habit.

Credit to the two new loanees who seemed to have acquitted themselves well today. Going into every game without a striking option of the bench is criminal though.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

grockle wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 17:34 I see Asa came on for the last 5 minutes. Given his form, this season, does that now mean he will be unavailable for the next 5 matches? :whistle:
Sadly he has done his time here, but he is a GJ fave......should have been put on a pay as you play contract this season.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

brucie wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 17:52 Depressing beyond belief - a close defeat seems harder to take than a thrashing. At 0-0 Jarvis is through on goal and doesnt score. Then a goalkeeper error loses us the match.

Just as Tuesday night we find a way to lose when we nearly won it. Unfortunately losing becomes a habit.

Credit to the two new loanees who seemed to have acquitted themselves well today. Going into every game without a striking option of the bench is criminal though.
as you describe Jarvis has to score his chance and Halstead would normally save that with ease

SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

brucie wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 17:52 Depressing beyond belief - a close defeat seems harder to take than a thrashing. At 0-0 Jarvis is through on goal and doesnt score. Then a goalkeeper error loses us the match.

All the signs of a team going down.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Things Need to change now, or we will be down before Christmas, GJ and Aron need to Go and GJ’s brother, time for a change, As I have said many times something is wrong in the camp things need to change be for it’s to late.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Just watched the Highlights if that is the right word and OMG I cannot believe how Full Time Professional Footballers can play so poorly.

Graham Potter told his players at Brighton that "accuracy of passes" was of paramount importance. I know there is a huge difference in quality between Premier League and National League but surely passing is crucial at all levels. You cannot keep passing inaccurately and expect to win games.

McGavin is so slow. Is he fit? He did not get the midfield ball which resulted in their goal because he saw the danger but was unable to get to the ball quick enough. You watch him and he cannot run. He ambles around. How old is he? He is 22!!! Aaron Downes needs to get tough with him and quickly.

I do not like to single out players but it is ridiculous. Brett you need to up your pace. How much time do you spend on your fitness preparation?

Shooting. No wonder we have scored only 9 goals in 13 games. This week Aaron Downes should have the strikers taking 20 yard shots in Competion to see how many they can score from 20 yards. 50 Shots each and see how many they score.

The strikers should spend a minimum of 2 hours per training session shooting at Halstead and Lovett and I bet my boots they will improve.

Ronaldo used to spend hours and hours practising and that is why he became so good.

Our team need to work harder on the basics and Gary and Aaron have got to get tough. This team is weak and needs a good old fashioned wake up.

I exclude Dean Moxey from this criticism because he must be so frustrated with his team mates who need a good shake up.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

So if you're gonna single out Brett McGavin, then how about you identify the right player? Cos, twaddent him.

From the highlights only, the gulls had way more chances....
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We hardly had way more chances but having survived an early onslaught it looked like a 5/50 game in the second half.

I'm not sure that you can blame Jarvis too much for the miss. It was a great move for the chance but the keeper came out quickly and made a fantastic save.

Compare that to the winning goal and do you think that their keeper would have let that in? it was a bad mistake from Halstead. Just as Tuesday we could well have won. Off the line in injury time - then two players fail to mark an opponent and we lose.

This isnt luck though its down to mistakes. Fine margins but no points.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

portugull wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 14:27 Just watched the Highlights if that is the right word and OMG I cannot believe how Full Time Professional Footballers can play so poorly.

Graham Potter told his players at Brighton that "accuracy of passes" was of paramount importance. I know there is a huge difference in quality between Premier League and National League but surely passing is crucial at all levels. You cannot keep passing inaccurately and expect to win games.

McGavin is so slow. Is he fit? He did not get the midfield ball which resulted in their goal because he saw the danger but was unable to get to the ball quick enough. You watch him and he cannot run. He ambles around. How old is he? He is 22!!! Aaron Downes needs to get tough with him and quickly.

I do not like to single out players but it is ridiculous. Brett you need to up your pace. How much time do you spend on your fitness preparation?

Shooting. No wonder we have scored only 9 goals in 13 games. This week Aaron Downes should have the strikers taking 20 yard shots in Competion to see how many they can score from 20 yards. 50 Shots each and see how many they score.

The strikers should spend a minimum of 2 hours per training session shooting at Halstead and Lovett and I bet my boots they will improve.

Ronaldo used to spend hours and hours practising and that is why he became so good.

Our team need to work harder on the basics and Gary and Aaron have got to get tough. This team is weak and needs a good old fashioned wake up.

I exclude Dean Moxey from this criticism because he must be so frustrated with his team mates who need a good shake up.
Sorry, but you're wrong.
Dont know what you can tell from the highlights as I haven't seen them, but I was actually there.
First 15mins they battered us - hardly surprising as they lost at halifax previously - but we held them out and grew into the game.
Should have scored as Brucie alluded to - and yes MH will be disappointed with the goal. He was still down for a few mins after, but after his recent performances kept us in games.
One shot on target and they won the game. Unfortunately.
As for McGavin, he was ok, not brilliant but ok. think theres a few other players you could look at before him.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468