Torquay v Maidenhead - Tue 04/10

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Agreed half the division at least consists of inept teams. Unfortunately there doesnt appear to be any evidence that we can live with any of them.

Therefore something has to be done now before the gap gets bigger. Having said that no doubt we'll just carry on as we are.....
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

We are over a quarter of the way through the season with just 9 points from 12 games with a GD of -13. This team are neither physically or mentally strong enough and the management seem bereft of ideas. The owner is absent and attendances are plummeting. This season already stinks of relegation. Four of those eight teams you refer to are going down, do you really see anything in this team currently to suggest we won't be one of them?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Agreed half the division at least consists of inept teams. Unfortunately there doesnt appear to be any evidence that we can live with any of them.

Therefore something has to be done now before the gap gets bigger. Having said that no doubt we'll just carry on as we are.....
Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

I was there.
It’s a results game and losing is rubbish (0pts). Our league position is rubbish.
But we did play much better today than Sat.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Utter rubbish again, sadly I find myself questioning how long I can continue to make the 380 miles round trip to home games.

Week on week we are outplayed, second to everything and beaten.

We are a club are sinking. A long-term plan is needed, player recruitment needs re-thinking, the management team needs addressing. Things I've said before for a while now but been told you can't say that - clearly too many are happy with what we have. I am not!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Nick Potkins wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 22:31 Utter rubbish again, sadly I find myself questioning how long I can continue to make the 380 miles round trip to home games.
On tonights attendance many have already answered that question and cannot continue making a 3 mile round trip to home games
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Firstly all the best to Evans, again he was looking bright running with the ball with some pace - something we lack!

Odd game with all the added time and a ref who seemingly didnt know what the rules of football are

Started well again with Maidenhead looking to time waste from minute 1, Goodwin took the ball around their defence and finished well

- 1-1 from being weak in the middle of the pitch allowing a cross and header in from a couple yards out
- 2-1 with a great goal from Jarvis after a very nice cross from Martin
- 2-2 with a penalty that i dont think anyone called for or thought was a penatly?

2nd half was a drag with not much quality from either side

what got me was what was lapslies role? He seemingly ran all over the place and didnt really achieve anything it made us weaker in the middle and disjointed, he would have been better sitting in front of the back 4 clearing up

Donellan was much welcomed in the defence when Marshall went off early on - hopefully Donellan isnt out for any length of time because he needs to continue back there, calmer and more composed

McGavin needs to grow up and get a grip, looked scared to make a pass and too many weak tackles

Anytime an opposing player runs at us we cant deal with it, we back off and dont tackle its cost us nearly every game

Set pieces - who comes up with these? we worked hard to win 2 decent freekick opportunities and wasted both

How we didnt win it at the death is beyond me, Hanson (i think) anywhere else wins it but cleared off the line. I dont think we deserved to win but we certainly didnt deserve to lose

They hoof it long and we let it bounce, crossed far too easily and flicked in at the near post, bar one save in the 2nd half Halstead wasnt troubled

Squad too thin and change is needed
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Really don’t understand how no one is calling for the manager’s head. We’ve got 1 point from 2 home games everyone said we needed at least 4 from. Not good enough.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Personally I thought we played well today, not brilliant but every player gave 100% and a huge improvement on earlier in the season.

However, last 15 minutes most were dead on their feet and there was no attacking option on the bench. The lightweight squad and 3 more injuries (plus lapslie hobbling) killed us today.

I still have the faith!
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

We have to restore an expectation of winning being the standard we aim for.

There is too much acceptance of moments of reasonable play rather than the commitment to a game plan that demands victory.

We have to change our mindset and the system of play, if that doesn’t work, well, then we really will need broader change.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

An improved performance from Saturday without doubt....but the reality was this was a must win game ! And 1 point from last 6 and worryingly bottom of the league.
Positives 1st Jarvis and Goodwin . Also thought Donnellan done well when he came on.
Negatives for me Omar and Marshall, we really are not going to achieve anything with these 2 in defence. Both are far too slow and are a car crash waiting to happen. Without doubt we need a ugly hard no nonsense centre back to marshall up this weak defence.
Even Moxey reverted to Hoof Ball in the second half ! Total lack of belief throughout , and cannot see this changing when we defend like this.

Hope Kieron Evans injury is not as bad as it looked....fingers crossed
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Record speed
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by CourtierGull »

An odd game, one that we needed to win, we should have won and we’ve left without even a draw. Firstly I will say I refuse to accept that we have the worst squad in this league, individually a lot of these players show their qualities in glimpses but again we are lining up in a 352, relying on Martin and Wyatt for our wide attacking threat, it just baffles me. McGavin came on and is clearly a very good footballer, thought Jarvis had a great game too but the team as a whole is so disjointed. Someone else has said lapslie put all the effort in with nothing to show for it, spot on. We know he’s a very good player but he looked lost today and when he did have the ball, there’s no options to play too purely because of how we have lined up. This all leads back to GJ and unfortunately his stubbornness will either see him sacked or us relegated.

Some may not like it, but enough really is enough. Thankyou for everything Johnson, we were on our way to the western league before you, but if we don’t act soon we will be back where we started with you.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Got to the point whereby, I can't be bothered to detail my viewpoint on the match, getting tedious now, purposely looked how Maidenhead had set up as the game kicked off, no Suprise to see they'd matched us up on formation.

To clear up the penalty, couldn't be sure at the game, wasn't close enough to see it, there's is a video of it on the FB group, and it looks to me as if the referee has got the decision 100% correct, we'd be annoyed if that hadn't been given for us at the other end.

Went in the gull's nest after the game, never seen Goerge Edwards move so quickly through, clearly wasn't in the mood to speak to anyone, and if the look on his face was anything to go by, far from a happy man. We'll see what the morning brings, can't see how GJ can survive this. We've got Halstead to thank for 1 miserly point from two games, against two of the worst teams I've seen at Plainmoor.

Heard some say, much improved performances, great, Scunthorpe and Maidenhead were terrible, hard not to look improved, heard another say, where do we go from here, simple answer, no where, there's not one team any more inferior than the last two teams we've faced, to play against.
Formerly known as forevertufc
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

Goes without saying thoughts with Evans and what seemed a nasty one.

Plus points - Jarvis & Goodwin but they need to link up better.

Negatives - Midfield and defence ! Omar got out muscled and doesn’t seem strong enough. McGavin looks like a rabbit in the headlights he didn’t want the ball. Lapslie should play in front of the back four, not doing a Duracell bunny impression.

Why wingbacks ??? It doesn’t work !! Go back to 4-4-2 and be done with it.

We are crying out for a grizzled hard experienced CB such as a Downes/Branson/Ellis !

Unless things change we will see crowds below 1500 and supporters becoming more angry.

Final point - why are referees so poor in NL !