TUFC v Scunthorpe United Sat 1st October KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

TUFC v Scunthorpe United Sat 1st October KO 3pm

Post by portugull »

United play Scunthorpe for the first time since 2014 and both sides will be desperate for the 3 points with both on just 8 points from a possible 30.

With just 6 goals we are the lowest scorers in the National League but Scunthorpe have conceded 20 goals with only 3 teams conceding more.

Despite losing 6-0 to Wrexham who are "buying" Promotion there were signs that Gary is beginning to get the squad to play the way he wants and on loan signing Scott Smith looks like a very good addition to the team.

This is a must win game and we the fans must get behind the team from minute one. I am going for 3-1 to the Gulls. COYY.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

I’m going for a cagey 2-1 win. Hearing good reports about Smith, and with Hall, Lapslie and Jarvis fit I think we’ll be improved. We need to win and play well too, something that hasn’t been done yet this season. Despite our start, given we haven’t had a home game in 3 weeks I’m going for around 2200.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

I don’t have much confidence but I’m at least hoping for an improved performance. We can’t continue being second best in every game. This may well be the 2 worst teams in the league so another defeat and it could get toxic.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Toxic is my concern......the Plymouth friendly showed how the support can change very quickly....ala Halstead mistakes.
All we can do is get behind them and pray for some chances that we can put away. Scunnie will not fancy this one for sure....just hope we do and with a full week on the training ground and hopeful of a Moxey return .
COYY
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Well Scunthorpe have won once away (Boxing Day) in their last 37 away games
and not kept a clean sheet for 21 games
so you would think we must have a chance but we have won only 3 of our last 31 matches against them so are we due a win and a first home win ? and we simply have to win one of these two home games and draw the other . Can see us losing 3-2 though, long as it's not 8-1 as in 1995.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Well it won't be as bad as 1995 and that 1-8 to them.
Hopefully Moxey will return, but how often are our injured players back within a week or two? always seems to be 6-8 weeks out.
Am going for a 0-1 to them or 3-1 to us, if we finally create and finish our chances.
However it goes, loud support, not toxidity has to be a given until the final whistle.
Attendance 1,900.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

I just can’t see us keeping a clean sheet. We give away so many chances to opposing teams. As others have said 4 points from these 2 home games is needed along with improved performances.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

desperado wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 16:52 Well Scunthorpe have won once away (Boxing Day) in their last 37 away games
so you would think we must have a chance but we have won only 3 of our last 31 matches against them so are we due a win and a first home win ? and we simply have to win one of these two home games and draw the other . Can see us losing 3-2 though, long as it's not 8-1 as in 1995.
I can remember the old 4th Division play off semi final between Scunthorpe and Torquay being the last ever match to be played at the " Old Showground" before Scunthorpe moved to Glanford Park the following season. I think it was a midweek night and the great Mark Loram scored one of his trademark quickly taken free kicks in a 1-1 draw.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

desperado wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 16:52 Well Scunthorpe have won once away (Boxing Day) in their last 37 away games
Statistics like that are bad enough when you’re doing well. If this new group can redeem some sort of redemption then they must win. Another defeat will make that dressing room a morgue
Lucy
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Scunthorpe wont fancy this one? - really? they came from 2-0 down to win last week whilst we lost 6-0 and are consistently outplayed by every team we play.

I would have thought they would quite fancy playing us. Dont think the crowd will tolerate another no show and no doubt it will get ugly if we collapse again.

Another heavy defeat and surely Johnson is history.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Need the crowd right behind the team from minute 1

Maybe some further additions to the squad? :|
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Beyond some woeful individual performances this season so far, I’m not confident in the system.

We don’t really have any alternative with a lack of wide midfield players.

What happened to Nelson Iseguan?

Our approach to loan players has been laughable - I think Tommy Hughes from Ipswich is still technically on loan to us, despite being back at Ipswich! 😂😮😫
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

These results are not acceptable. Scunthorpe were awful and should have won it. Some anti GI chants at the end provoked a response on the pop by some rose tinted happy clappers.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Having been at the game today I stand by my prior words that the system is not working.

Smith showed real promise in the middle, but both he and Evans were largely isolated and disconnected from the front two, which is a shame as under a more effective set up I can see both playing well off each other.

Goodwin has composure but inadequate service and time on the ball. Jarvis got his head on a few balls, which in a pressing side with better movement could bring opportunities.

Both Martin and Wyatt did a decent job defensively, but Moxey is the only one I feel confident in the middle.

Omar is so frustrating - his commitment and desire is clear to see and made some vital interventions and necessary headers but he repeatedly gets caught out of position and his distribution feels like it comes with a degree of risk more often than not, which today led to both Halstead and Marshall vocalising their frustration towards the end of the game.

Halstead. Mega save again to hold the points. Kudos to him for the massive turnaround in his game.

Despite drawing out some positives, at the end of the day we lost points to lacklustre side and we are playing well below what the team appear capable of.

The message I’d ultimately like to hear concretely from Gary is that we are not playing to standard expected and that dropping points to teams like Scunthorpe is no longer acceptable.

Work on the shape please Gary & co, bring in some more attacking options and build a pressing team around Smith. Finally, embed a ‘do or die’ attitude - it’s time to up the ante and see some tenacity on and off the pitch.
Last edited by Bristol_Gull on 01 Oct 2022, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Haven't got a lot of time to post. Don't think it's a case of rose tinters, chanting 'we want Osbourne out' what's your plan to fund the club if he went? do we know anyone with a spare £4 million knocking around.

As for the game, slightly lucky, two poor teams, Halstead to the rescue, and they had cleared off the line, we had a good opening 10 minutes that was it.
Formerly known as forevertufc