Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Post by Admiral »

We all expected to lose at Wrexham, but that margin is simply unacceptable. Some are suggesting we looked good for long spells going forward, yet we still got hammered.

Is it time for a change, or can Gary turn it around? We couldn’t ask for a better set of fixtures coming up, and we desperately need to win both home games. If he goes, who would we get in?

Whether he goes or not, it’s important the crowd play their part at Plainmoor on Saturday and Tuesday and get behind them. It’s not too late to turn it around. The league is tight, and these next two are decisive.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Whatever happens between now and the end of the season we should all get our heads around the likelihood that we will finish lower mid table as being the most optimistic outcome for 22/23. It’s going to be a grind!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

The view that appointing a new manager will have some positive outcome on a team's performance is not by any means universal. Appointing a new manager may have a positive short-term effect on team results due to the fact that players will be out to try to impress a new manager to ultimately keep themselves in employment. After this period, the points accumulation benefit of changing a manager normally disappears. Have we not had enough of managerial panic at Torquay over the previous decade with the likes of Knill and Owers being presented as our saviours - fat lot of good that did us. Time to stop this incessant 'we lost a match, change the manager' syndrome and time to accept that by supporting Torquay means we were born to suffer.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Gary's been in football management since 1986. I question at what point do you lose the energy, the passion and the mind to pick yourself and your team up to go again. This season is a write off other than avoiding relegation. With the league getting harder to get out of it looks less likely that he'll be signing off his career with a promotion. What's in it for him? I wonder whether the football world has moved to another generation and so the contacts for loans are lessened. Maybe its an opportunity for Gary to mentor his eventual replacement and for him to become a Director of Football and to bring in a Head Coach underneath him (not Aaron Downes). I fail to see much attraction in the Torquay job at this point in time for GJ. Maybe he needs something different to freshen him up without losing all the experience that he can bring to the club, team and a possible eventual replacement.
WGull25
Trialist
Trialist

Post by WGull25 »

There is always a concern at this level in particular who will be better and come in, who can we afford and most importantly has the experience and connections.

I have to agree slightly that GJ seems to maybe have run out of steam. I cannot handle another post match interview firstly saying the same thing, secondly being quite positive we lost 6-0 and also the guy who is up his a.. doing the interview.

Have some respect and tell it how it is.

I must say his brother needs to take a lot of blame his history of bribing in players is very poor. Bristol city connection was fine but that was his son providing us people.

Which brings me to the next point, any hibs signings?

I do believe and agree it’s time for a change but who is the issue for me
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Stick
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Definitely stick.
craigtufc32
New Signing
New Signing

Post by craigtufc32 »

100% twist and time for a change. Not sure how this can continue, the guy looks beaten and out of ideas. The recruitment has been awful and that lies with GJ and his brother. Not sure why half the fan base continually applaud the players off after a defeat either.. what other fan base allows this type of failure, bit strange if you ask me.

Definitely thanks for the memories Gary but time is up.

Massive 2 games ahead and I don't think he's up to it.

#tufc
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Stick 100%
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Well, Gary Johnson said after 10 games we should have an idea about what lies ahead for the rest of the season. I expected us to be in the lower part of the table, around 16th i predicted. We instead find ourselves bottom of the league. I have been calling on Johnson to be sacked for over 18 months now and the table does not lie. I expect George Edwards to inform uncle Clarke that a new management is urgently needed to save our season. I honestly believe that with 36 games still to play with 108 points up for grabs, a new manager can turn our season around and give us an outside chance of the play offs come May. Go Johnson and go now and stop destroying our football club and milking uncle Clarke.
Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

Stick 100%
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

It’s been obvious since the first games that something needs to change. What has been so worrying about this season is the performances. 10 games and we have been outplayed in each one. I just cannot understand why GJ has stuck with the same system that clearly isn’t working.

I know our recruitment hasn’t been good and people moan about our budget, but seriously there are many smaller clubs in this league putting out much better performances then we are. I would probably lean towards a change of manager but think a decision needs to be made after the next 2 home games. Not only do we need points out performances have to improve and we need to show we can dominate games otherwise we’re going down.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

A great number of things at our club are wrong, dated or need addressing. Sadly, we continue to fall behind. I list below a number.
Financial support is badly needed by someone showing an interest, who will lead the club forward and have a much need vision.
Attracting the best / better players is needed, we can't get them in Devon, does training need to be there, why not Bristol or the Midlands.
A new 4G pitch for the use of all, bringing in more income and allowing schools and children to play at our ground. These children become supporters and our fan base future.
A new state of the art ground would be a welcome addition.
Without a vision, investment and change we accept what we have. A bottom third National League Team, who can't win a cup game.
TomGull1997
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Pop side

Post by TomGull1997 »

Stick!
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

It’s worth considering who we’ve got coming up. In the first 10 games, Torquay have played 6 of the top 8, not that this is an excuse.

We’re bottom on 8 points. Next 4 fixtures are:
Scunthorpe (H) 21st - 8 points
Maidenhead (H) 18th - 10 points
York (A) 9th - 15 points
Altrincham (H) 23rd - 8 pts

We couldn’t really ask for a kinder set of fixtures to kick-start our season. However, we thought last November our fixtures were favourable and only narrowly beat Dover that month. I’d take 4 points from the next two to stop the rot, but we really could do with 6 (probs get 1 pt)!

I think it could be time for a change, but I’d let Gary have the next two games to try find a winning formula. I hope Lapslie is involved, and I’m hearing good reports about the new CM. Evans is improving it seems, we desperately need a good atmosphere, win and performance on Saturday.