Wrexham v Torquay United Sat 24 Sept KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

The problem I have with keeping the same old is that when do you decide that enough is enough, we are already talking defeatist in saying who of us expected anything from this game, lets see how the next two go, and it goes on, before you know it,christmas
has arrived and judging by our current form we will be still be in a relegation battle, as for changing the manager, where do you find a miracle worker because with the lack of quality in the squad we do need a miracle. We have no money and by the sounds of things no hope of signing anything other than under 21's. That for me already says relegation, the likes of Halifax and Scunthorpe will have money to spend and a far bigger catchment area to recruit.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Andrews is out for 6 weeks minimum with a knee injury.
Steve_TUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Steve_TUFC »

We went today and have been to most away and home games this season. This really wasn’t a dire performance like most of the last nine games have been. Even with the scoreline, it was one of the better games to be at and watch.

We played some decent football in the first half against a very good league 2 / league 1 Wrexham side, who punished us nearly every time they went forward and ran towards our goal. Halstead made a couple of great saves. Get two decent quicker and stronger centre backs plus Lapsie fit and our wins will come. Not heard it myself but I get the fine margins comment as we could’ve easily have been winning at half time. 10 decent minutes against Solihull Moors and now 40 odd against a top Wrexham side is definitely an improvement.

Going forward Goodwin, Evans, Smith, Jarvis, Martin and even Crowe looked good with decent width, crosses and goal box action. Crowe’s crosses deserved a couple of goals. A little nervous with too much passing in their box rather than first time shooting but that will come with more attacking play, fitness and confidence. Our MOTM for what’s it’s worth:

Evans
Goodwin
Jarvis
Halstead
Crowe - for getting forward and decent crosses.

Mention for Smith too, who looks good. Played well, confident and showed ability on the ball against a top team.

Only heard one or two individual shouts of Johnson out, But they were rightfully shouted down by a number of our fans. Be careful for what you wish for as It could really be the start of the end for our team without Johnson. Wins will come soon.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

:goodpost: this is a very reassuring post. In Gary we trust?
Or do the GJ brigade come out inforce? am very concerned 6-0 is in anyone book a drubbing!
Have we excepted we cannot compete with the top teams! Is survival now the goal?
Man don't you just hate following bloody Torquay!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

How an earth can you say that a 6-0 defeat is an acceptable performance. I mean it is just nonsensical. How exactly are our wins going to come when statistically we are the second best team on the pitch in every game we have played this season conceding an average of over 20 shots per game to the opposition.

Look respect to you for going but what you are saying is just nonsensical. Getting beaten 4-1 at home by Solihull and playing well for 10 minutes and then conceding 6 against Wrexham isnt a sign of improvement. Its an unmitigated disaster. Solihull got beat by Woking today so they are no great .

Btw Wrexham arnt a League 1 side either - they are in the same division as us and failed to get promoted last year with all their backing. To suggest that we might have been winning at half time sounds like the ramblings of a madman. To do that we would have had to score 4 goals - the most we have managed in any game this season is 1 isnt it?

If we played so well in the first half then how come we lost the second half by the same 3-0 margin?

Wasnt it Johnson who said judge us after 10 games - Well there we go the 10 games are up. We seem to be getting worse rather than better and we've just hit the bottom of the league.

Just wonder how many more defeats it will take for you to wake up and smell the coffee.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Steve_TUFC wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 23:03 We went today and have been to most away and home games this season. This really wasn’t a dire performance like most of the last nine games have been. Even with the scoreline, it was one of the better games to be at and watch.
After so much promise and optimism for the season ahead, Torquay are yet to light the blue touch paper after a stuttering start has left them sitting in the bottom of the league with ten games gone. Nonetheless, rather than just look at the scoreline, I prefer to take your comments on our performance at Wrexham as you watched the game. I watched how dire we were against against Boreham (H) and Bromley (A) who were equally as dire and yet they sit in 4th and 5th in the League. Improvement in performance may well see a resurgence within the team that see them strike a chord and go on a run of form. No one has a crystal ball as to how Torquays next run of results will pan out, but I see no reason why we cant turn our form around. We can but live in hope!
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

10 games gone and bottom of the league.
Wrexham post match interview unreal.
One more game Gary.
If we lose on Saturday do the honorable thing and resign.
Draigcoch7
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Draigcoch7 »

As a Wrexham fan, I have to say that Torquay are far from the worst team we have come up against. At times you cut through us and it was some last gasp defending that saved us.
That was our best performance of the past two seasons and our midfield and forwards just clicked!
Good luck for the rest of the season!

PS

The bald fan with the mustard jumper took some crap off our fans but took it well.!!!
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

6 points required from the next two and for Gary to save his job. I think Plainmoor should really get behind them on Saturday. If this does turn out to be his last game a toxic exit wouldn’t be good for anyone.

I really hope he turns it around, but I can’t see it. Hopefully we’ll make another good addition (wide man) this week.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Watched the highlights. Our defending was shocking particularly our marking from corners and we fell apart completely in the second half.

That said the new loanee looked impressive, not at all like the normal schoolboys we have been signing of late. Jarvis for his first full game looked ok as well.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

brucie wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 22:48 Andrews is out for 6 weeks minimum with a knee injury.
That is what happens when you can't stay on your own two feet.
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

Have to say watching the highlights there were some positives and a few chances were close. Wrexham were made to look world beaters every time they got the ball our back five got in to formation and charged back to our goal line with barely a challenge going in from our ponderous 3 in midfield that are outnumbered. Been said before 442 or 451 in present circumstances.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

grockle wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 06:57 That is what happens when you can't stay on your own two feet.
I could not agree more grockle, sadly he will not be of any loss.
Too soft an underbelly for me, unfit from Day 1, outfought, out thought in every game and has never looked like scoring. :goal: A poor signing .
6 weeks out, so a Christmas return I guess by the time he gets Match fit. >:(
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

A total waste of space, if he was a horse he would be shot to put him out of his misery (and ours).

I have never seen such a weak signing, Diving to con the ref and he can not do that with any effect.