Torquay United v Solihull Moors FC Tues 13th Sept 19.45pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
WellingtonGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WellingtonGull »

Admiral, questions do need to be asked of him imo! The performances aren’t looking great at the minute!
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Something was very wrong last season, in my view we got away with it and a strong end of season covered up our failings.

Sadly our failings remain, we are miles behind the top seven and will do well to say out of the relegation zone. It is going to be another long season.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Admiral wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 22:10 Also, when was the last time we had a crowd that bad?
From what I can see, last time we had home attendance below tonights was in November 2018 vs St Albans City (excluding games with restricted attendance during Covid). I think we normally bottom out at around 1300 attendance.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

The attendance, i only realised myself we were playing 24 hours ago, so maybe some didn't even know. Crappy weather, previous poor home performances, low amount of away supporters all contributed.

Think we can all see the deadwood players, hopefully they'll be gone soon. At least 3 players from the first 11 shouldn't be anywhere near the first team in my opinion. One up front, one from the midfield and one from the defence, won't name names.

For me, that was a definite penalty we weren't awarded and a sending off, and theirs was a penalty as well, but tbh I think Moors would of won the game anyhow. They look a very decent side, we tried to press them at the back and were rewarded with one goal and what should of been a pen.

There's no doubting poor requirement has played a part in this squad. Some of the new players could become good players, but others..........
And Lapslie, still injured. Hall on the bench but played no part.
Jarvis looked like a player who has just come back from injury, so he gets a pass tonight.
Is Johnson still the right man? I guess rather naively, I still think so.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

On the plus side, thought we had a good spell after the penalty although we were playing a very well organised and fast team who moved the ball exceptionally well. Looked to me like they will be right up there whereas we look distinctly mid table at most. Mind you a perfect night for a team that can play football, roll on those cold winter games in the sleet and mud. They may not look so good (and we might look better!)
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Another home match and another footballing lesson from a far better team. Solihull were mobile, skilful and street-wise in a way that our team was not. The only ones to have half-decent games were Goodwin, Evans and, apart from conceding the penalty, Wyatt. Each showed a willingness to put their bodies on the line and push the team forward that was sadly missing from the rest of our midfield. As a result we could only manage 7 attempts all game although all bar one were on target.

The defence looked at sixes and sevens for much of the first half and were totally static for the second goal which was embarrassing to witness.

The third goal was even more remarkable for our incompetence when we were pressing down the left hand corner, lost the ball and their winger (I think) ran a full sixty yards, beating two or three players with his speed before Wyatt could get close enough to foul him and concede the penalty.

No doubt some people will have a go at the officials again but I actually thought they had a good game - players were booked for time-wasting and I thought the big decisions were correct.

Unfortunately, we have recruited poorly again this season and we have had to rely on a trio of midfielders who, whilst tall and at first glance imposing, are slow in both footballing brain and pace, spending most of the games chasing shadows. We look distinctly like relegation material at the moment but I still expect the manager to turn things round - rooting out those who are not good enough and bringing in reinforcements who will stabilise the situation.
Last edited by Modgull on 13 Sep 2022, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well, the warning signs were there as early as, the very 1st minute, as Solihull nearly carved out a good chance, and they were in again soon afterwards, however I thought Torquay started this game well, there was a good intensity about our play, we saw our players getting in and about Solihull, the first clear cut chance fell our way and Goodwin found the bottom corner, but that was, as good as it got for Torquay on the night.

Solihull didn't panic, they knew, they had one weapon we clearly did not, they had pace to burn, often we hear tag lines in football, 'he was a yard faster' or 'they were a yard faster' Solihull weren't even 2 yards faster than us through the middle, it was more like 3 yards faster at times, and it was embarrassing, as their players must have thought all the Christmases had come in at once, the message must have soon come on 'pick up the ball and run straight at them, they won't keep up' it was like a milk float racing an F1 car.

No surprise when they equalised, and straight away you could see the confidence drain from our team, in fact it drained faster than the custard from the open tin that had just been passed to the person with a custard fetish, we stepped off Solihull, panicked clearances, resorted to hoofing the ball all over the place, just generally ragged, from then on it looked like there would be only one winner.

What is Gary Johnsons aversion to signing players with pace, wing back system doesn't work against a team with more pace, we went 4-4-2 in the second half after Moxey went off, that isn't going to work against a team with greater pace either.

We came within a whisker of two red cards tonight, McGavin already on a yellow clearly grabbed the shirt of a Solihull player, thankfully he was far quick for McGavin to get enough to pull him down, Marshall came in with thunderous challenge, again the pace of the Solihull player meant Marshall only skirted him a bit, full contact almost certain straight Red.

Was the Solihull penalty inside the box, no idea wasn't close enough to see, but it did look as if we were denied a clear penalty late on, had it been scored could have made for an interesting last 10 minutes, however, let's not kid ourselves no refereeing decision cost us this game, Solihull were head and shoulders above us, and being honest looked well capable of a top seven play-off place finish.

If you haven't seen us play in the flesh and you're not worried, start, there doesn't need to be anymore assessment, I actually believe we have a few good young players here, that need time, time we haven't got, additions now, or face a relegation scrap.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

The only thing wrong with this squad is that it was smart price recruitment on a smart price budget. You buy premium you get better quality. There’s only so much Gary can develop crap. I’m afraid we have a team that is quite simply not up to the standard of National league experience, and we will suffer as a consequence
Lucy
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

This is Gary’s squad though that he said he was extremely happy with. First and foremost the system is wrong, and he has failed to recognise that and bring in decent wide options on loan. This formation stubbornness will get us nowhere and it’s negative, we haven’t won at home all season and I can’t accept getting stuffed every week.

Last season it was the hangover, this season we can’t use that excuse. Solihull lost the playoff final last year, yet despite being ‘raided’ played us off the park without getting out of second gear.

Unfortunately there comes a time when managers have had their day, in this instance with one particular club. I appreciate everything GJ has done, but we need a fresh restart.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Agree with Forever we have got some good young players that we don't have time to wait for and there are too many of them in the team at once !
When Moxey went off who was the only experienced player , probably Wyatt and obviously we are far too slow, Solihull play the way Gary would like us to play, they were totally different to the usual big, thuggish teams we play , actually quite lightweight and slight but lightening quick in thought , passing and movement.
Thought Evans had his best game by a mile and Wyatt looked better second half in the middle and generally played well.
Crowe also had his best game but McGavin and Hanson so slow and ponderous. Jarvis showed nothing to give much hope and not impressed with Andrews yet. Goodwin would shine in a decent team.
So that's 3 home defeats on the trot and a draw and two wins in 8 where we have been battered and hung on.
I assume some signings are coming probably on loan because this team will get us relegated. Midfield, wide and central a priority, Hall and Lapslie also both too slow would not have made any difference last night.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Too many players too slow. When we brought Martin on, and moved Wyatt and Evans into midfield we began to compete. I think the formation needs looking at. Bring in a couple of players and it will surely improve. Plenty of room for that! Enjoyable game though. Plenty going on. They should have had a pen and I thought their disallowed goal was good. But as a gulls fan of many years, I don't rely on a win (but it's nice when they come) but I do want to be entertained and there was certainly plenty of that last night. Not all for the right reason, but better than staying at home by a long shot. Not a bad long shot by Crowe either. Easy for the gk, but nice strike.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Just listened to the post match interview. GJ was very down as you might expect although I thought he come across as confused.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Willowgull wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 09:31 Just listened to the post match interview. GJ was very down as you might expect although I thought he come across as confused.
Difficult being asked questions when your team has been totally outclassed, outrun for most of the game.

Poor recruitment of young boys, the League table does not lie. We are woefully slow, and when you allow someone to run 70 yards and give their number 10 the freedom of Plainmoor, you really do get what we deserved. Worrying times indeed !
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I think there were several reasons why the crowd was so poor, not least was our form. From the start Solihull looked like a very good team, they were fast, mobile and knew each other, we lack pace across the team and the game plan seemed to consist entirely of frustrating them as opposed to any cunning plan of our own. our midfield was totally and I mean totally overrun from minute 1, it was the best description of men against boys that you could make. Johnson could not or would not chance Hall coming on. HIs dogged and singular belief in wingbacks can only work if you have the quality of players to achieve that aim, in short we do not.
Just listened to Johnsons post match, not sure why, because whoever asks the questions is usually so far up Johnsons bottom he is incapable of asking one question that would get him to admit his mistakes and always allows him the freedom to deflect from any shortcomings, you knew the players and or the ref were to be blamed.
Johnson now says we are short of three players who strangely are not available, I think on last nights showing, we need a complete midfield, two wingbacks and an experienced centre half at the very least just to survive in this league.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Toastkid - you must be easily pleased if you can enjoy your team gettiing beat 4-1. Respect to you for turning up though.

Unfortunately though you are in the minority and a crowd of 1700 tells its own story, and will no doubt decrease in numbers unless this shambles is addressed. However with the owner not appearing to care, the managing director being faceless as well and Johnson getting an easy ride nothing looks like changing.

The interviewer is Dominic Mee from the in house media team. You are right - his interviews are cringeworthy, the manager is never asked any form of difficult question, just the same old arselicking exercise. Just another example of any lack of accountability.