Torquay v Boreham Wood - Sat 20/08/21

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

So predictable.
Physical opponents who got away with manhandling and time wasting thanks to a weak referee.
Blatant penalty not given.
Their keeper made a string of good saves.
We were poor first half but much better second and deserved a draw.
This was the first game I’ve been able to get to this season and I thought that we looked like a mid table team.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Of course he didn’t go, why even ask?

Exactly CourtieGull

Brucie spouts his usual bollocks from North Devon when the actual game takes place at the opposite end of the county but he knows best !!

This was almost a carbon copy of the game against them last season. Fill your team with fecking great ugly bastards who take "physical play " and the dark arts of time wasting to the absolute limit. Knowing the ref is pathetically weak then obviously they did this from literally the first minute to the last. The only difference from last season was the fact they they scored. That was it ! I wonder if they they play like that at home ? O.k it works for them but jeez its anti-football.

The Arsenal womens team play at their ground and have sold out their season tickets of 1500 that's about three times the number that will watch Boringwood at least they will see some entertainment !!!!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

You have to ask why a part-time club like Dorking Wanderers can notch up 10 goals and we can only muster 1 goal in 4 matches. Today, their part-time striker James McShane knocked in a brace; making it his 5th goal in 4 games. This is a player who previously plied his trade at Mosley FC (NPL West League -Tier 8). To rub salt into the wounds their owner is also their Chairman and their Manager. Torquay are a solid unit but boy do we have an issue regarding attacking flair.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

For those that imagined we were the better side, or even close to it, I have two observations, were you actually at the game and in the nicest possible way, you need to up your meds. We started slowly and didnt get an awful lot better, They had an uncompromising and experienced back four, and at times blatantly dirty who gave our forwards very little change, corrie andrews was obviously not fit but was thrown because we had no one else, he never put in a full sprint all game, after he had been clattered a few times in the early minutes he quickly lost all interest in the game, Crowe and wyatt were out of their depth, reasonable going forward but poor/abysmal at defending and I am surprised they lasted as long as they did before being subbed, very poor officials , but that is a given in this league and we have to learn to play it as you would bad weather or a poor pitch. The young Exeter lad impressed in his cameo, he was actually willing to run the line something that was alien to our starting wing backs. Man of the match by a country mile, Lapslie followed by Omar and Moxey.
Unless we encounter other teams in this league who like us with the odd exception recruited entirely from under 23's that were released by their clubs, in some cases for obvious reasosn I do not see us having a successful season.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Out muscled by a bigger, stronger and fitter team. How many times will we hear that this season?
Boreham Wood didn't break sweat, they didn't have to. They could have been 3 or 4 up at half time.
Crowe, Wyatt, Hanson and Evans offer nothing.
Andrews won't score any goals he'll spend all his time on the ground and moaning.
Any chance of some real football not hoof and hope which we are getting at the moment?
Not with the players we have at the moment!!
Still only 4 games gone plenty of time for Garry to ring the changes.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

At half time I was feeling the same as Brucie (only 6 attempts and only 1 on target) but the second half was a massive improvement and we were desperately unlucky to lose. Despite probably the most incompetent referee I have ever seen (he couldn't even draw a straight line with his marker near the end!) and despite a really rugged and ugly opposition performance we managed 10 attempts in the second half, 7 on target and drawing a MOTM performance from their keeper. I believe it was a stone-wall penalty too - looking forward to seeing the highlights to check. It was probably also a red card. Positives for me - another excellent performance from Halstead and a MOTM (for us) effort from Moxey. Also impressed with Lapslie, Goodwin and Wyatt. The worry for me is that the midfield is all very one-paced and lacking in creativity - the strikers will continue to struggle to score if the service does not improve - and the right hand side of defence is shaky.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Dutchgulls off again ranting and blaming the ref, me, those nasty Boreham Wood players. Its everybody elses fault bar us for not being able to score.

Anti football? **** me we've scored 1 goal in 4 games and that was a knock down from a long throw. Whats that then Einstein? You really are a Delluded "Dutch" fool.

It seems that everybody bar Delluded "Dutch" seems to think that are wingbacks are useless for starters. I made the point about Dorking Wanderes and was ridiculed for saying they would beat us. Well what happened today. Darn me theyve only gone and banged in another couple and won again. !0 goals from a part time team and we've scored 1. Its embarassing.

Anyway stop posting hysterical rantings every time we lose - I suggest you get matron to up your meds :)
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

brucie wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 19:15 Dutchgulls off again ranting and blaming the ref, me, those nasty Boreham Wood players. Its everybody elses fault bar us for not being able to score.

Anti football? **** me we've scored 1 goal in 4 games and that was a knock down from a long throw. Whats that then Einstein? You really are a Delluded "Dutch" fool.

It seems that everybody bar Delluded "Dutch" seems to think that are wingbacks are useless for starters. I made the point about Dorking Wanderes and was ridiculed for saying they would beat us. Well what happened today. Darn me theyve only gone and banged in another couple and won again. !0 goals from a part time team and we've scored 1. Its embarassing.

Anyway stop posting hysterical rantings every time we lose - I suggest you get matron to up your meds :)
Many of your points may be valid, but if you haven’t attended all season then they’re not.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Unlike brucie I watched 3 PSF games at Plainmoor and our two National League games against Oldham and Boreham Wood.

The 3rd minute goal by Fyfield was borderline offside and in the first 45 minutes we were second best.

The second half we were much better and we should have equalised when the young referee missed a certain penalty when Goodwin was fouled. Paul Mulhearn on BBC Radio Devon said in his after match report it was a blatant pen and he is a very experienced commentator.

The lads gave everything and deserved a point but it has to be said 1 goal from 4 games is just not good enough and Andrews was not fit and very slow.

Will Goodwin is promising but in the NL you have to be tough and he is very inexperienced. Crowe is finding Senior Football very tough and is no Ben Wynter that is for sure. Moxey was his brilliant best but overall we are being outplayed because the team lacks both experience and pace.

I simply cannot see were the goals are going to come from and this is the real issue. Over to you Gary.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Do you mean the Ben Wynter who is playing for the team who are top of the league and scored today. In fact he has the same number of goals as the whole of our team put together.
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by CourtierGull »

The same Ben wynter who was absolutely shocking in his first 6 months here, in the league below. If you want to compare the 2, Crowe is 3 years younger and in his few games has looked twice as good as wynters first few games for us… if you want to start to write off Crowe already then do that, but it’s like the Cameron/Little/Halstead sagas all over again.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Yes, the same player who wanted to leave. What were the club meant to do about that?
Yes, it's a poor start, will Johnson sort it out, yes of course he will.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if you haven't watched a single minute of a game this season...........

The players will toughen up to this league, or he'll get rid of them, that's how he works. His record speaks for itself.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

So whats your point. I havn't watched a game, we've still only scored 1 goal.

I've watched 90 minutes of Dorking - said they were a good team who were potent in attack and were better than Oldham. Whats happened since? theyve scored SIX and won two games.

Ive listened to all the games (bar todays because I knew we would lose) and Ive watched all the highlights - my opinion was that we've generally been second best and havn't looked like scoring. Its only my opinion but its been fairly accurate so far I'd say -I mean I clearly stated that we would lose today and we did.

Courtier Gull - Crowe looked twice as good as Wynter - wow, forgive me if I dont take what you say seriously. i'll reproduce messages across 3 forums which have been universally critical of Crowes performances so far. "Doesn't know which way is up" "no pace", "not up to it" the radio devon commentators were also saying the same thing at Bromley.

So the consensus is that he's a weak link I guess - thats not me thats what everyone else is saying.

Similarly I wasnt there but it seems that everybody is saying that we shouild have had a penalty so I would presume that the ref made the wrong decision. Thats unlucky but it still doesnt alter the FACT that we had 87 minutes to get an equaliser. That we didnt do so just proves that we are consistently unable to score goals. Noone can argue with that.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

You can't criticise the effort and chances in the last 30 mins yesterday. To say "I can't see where the goals will come from" is nonsense. Their keeper had a blinder, the ref made a couple of bad decisions. A bit of positivity wouldn't be a bad thing. We were full tilt towards the end, they blocked everything. I sat in the bench yesterday and there were 2 complete idiot's constantly complaining, I really don't know why people so negative about the gulls bother going along. We lost, but I heard a lady say on the way out "that was amazing, ok we lost, but what a game!". I agree, certainly second half.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Hang on a minute, I just realized that the bloke with all the criticism doesn't go to matches. That explains alot of his comments. I just don't understand some people.