Torquay v Boreham Wood - Sat 20/08/21

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Torquay v Boreham Wood - Sat 20/08/21

Post by Admiral »

Thought I’d get this one going.

After a start that reads DWL, we are 3 points better off than this stage last season. However, performances have seen little creativity and a real lack of goalscoring threat for all our defensive efforts.

Will Gary change the system? Whilst I’m not a fan of the 3 at the back system, tweaking it from effectively 5-3-1-1 to 5-2-3 may give us a better outlet. Your full backs can’t be relied on for all of the width.

Tough to predict, BW were unstoppable at one stage last season and were in with a shout of the title before hitting the self-destruct button.

2-1 Torquay (Goodwin x2)
2492 (62 away)
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

How I would love you to be right with your prediction, when the non injured players that would not normally start determine the formation even with all our acquisitions then I know we have issues that will not be resolved in the short term, we still have nine midfielders, that is geniune midfielders, not full backs or forwards that we convert to cover up shortcomings, if with all those we cannot put five across the middle or four if you go to the tried and tested 4-4-2 set up then we have acquired the wrong players.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

I don’t have much confidence going into this one. Obviously would like 3 points but we need a much improved performance, especially going forward. We have to get more support for Goodwin and some attacking threat from out wide.

They had a poor result last time out at home to Aldershot as well. Very hard to call this one.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Perfect time to put a few things right and put Tuesday night behind us. Gary will be looking for a reaction, he was not a happy man after Tuesday and some players will be aware their performance need to improve.

Let's get behind Gary and the boys, COYY 💛
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by CourtierGull »

Hopeful of a better performance today, we need to create more chances. It will be interesting to see if we carry on with this 532 formation as we just don’t have enough forward to make much happen. COYY
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I wouldnt read too much into their loss to Aldershot. They dominated the game and created loads of chances.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Another fantastic result. The team that doesnt know what a goal is. Pathetic.
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CourtierGull »

In before all the depressed old men, the better team lost today. That’s it
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Anti-football. Evans and Iseguan subs were like for like
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

But their keeper made 3/4 excellent saves
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The better team lost - we had 87 minutes to score an equaliser - as usual we didnt. Some people are just delluded.

Face facts -we've scored 1 goal in 4 games. The only positive is we are bloody lucky to somehow have accumalated 4 points.

That is pathetic in anyone's book and making all the excuses in the world isnt going to make any difference. Wern't Goodwin and Andrews are more or less are first choice strikers so we cant use injuries as an excuse.

Once Bw scored after 3 minutes the game was over.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Brucie, did you go today?
But from what I’ve seen already this season, in this system we are clearly not good enough.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

We were not the better team. Yes their keeper made a couple of good saves but they still had more chances then us. There was no lack of effort but overall poor performance, poor atmosphere, poor attendance, poor away following and a poor referee
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Surely the stats speak for themselves. We dont seem to concede alot of goals which is a plus I suppose.

However in front of goal we are inept. Whether this is down to our lack of strikers or our lack of creativity I've no idea.

Our line up looked slightly stronger today but the result was the same.
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CourtierGull »

Of course he didn’t go, why even ask?

Not even worth replying too, I’ve never liked Nathan Ashmore but he’s pulled off some absolute worldie saves today, for 35 mins of the second half we had them pegged back. Lapslies missed 2 sitters, Omars nearly scored twice, andrews turned his man twice and 2 great saves again from Ashmore. I was hopeful of a better performance today and I got that, unfortunately we didn’t finish. How we never had a penalty when Goodwin was pulled to the floor through on goal I have no idea, the same sort of foul Marshall was sent off for. Most real fans will be proud of the lads today and we created many more opportunities than they did.